I accidentally hurt my kitten!

eskimolander

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(Sorry if this is the wrong area to post, I literally made this account just to ask this question.)

So this morning my approx 14 week old kitten was being her regular hyper-crazy self, and as I was getting dressed she kept jumping for my clothes. As I normally do when this happens I turned to push her away from me (Lightly!), but she was a bit closer than I thought and I moved much faster than I intended to and accidentally hit her, and it was unfortunately pretty hard. She immediately laid down and put her ears down flat on her head, so I gave a load of cuddles and kisses as I felt awful (still do D:). She seemed fine after a few minutes, and my vet said over the phone that I probably hurt her feelings more than anything. So I gave some treats and wet food when I got home from work., but now she seems like she might be a bit tender. There's no problem when I pet or hold her, but if I touch the side that got hit she squirms or mews. Is she bruised or something more serious? I'm going to call the vet first thing in the morning, but I need to know if there's anything I should do in the meantime. I feel really really bad, I've never ever even come close to hitting her, only a light push when she gets a bit too hyper but its only to redirect towards a toy or something of the like.

flowersimba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She should be ok just be gentle with her from now on. Treats play time pet get a little more than usual in the area you accidentally hit her... I've accidentally done that to my cats bcuz they were going crazy. I don't think she would be bruised maybe a little scared but if you treat her nicely and gentle she should be back to her normal self. Like I said treats playtime til she wears herself out, or as long as you have, pet and hold her more so she knows you care about her... Cats usually don't hold grudges very long unless you trade her badly constantly! But honestly sounds like you really care for her I mean I feel horrible for when they're acting like monkeys and end up "hurting" them, oh and I say sorry to them and its ok I didn't mean to hurt you.... It's weird but my cats have understood that when I tell them :) give it a couple days and if it continues our gets worse maybe call your vet

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
She is just remembering the "hurt"..

Please do not feel bad.. it happens to all of us. 

I cannot tell you how many times I have unintentionally kicked Artie, when he was rubbing up against me while walking, or anciently hit his head when I was trying to pet/grab him/ or brush him. 

One time, I ended up catching his tail in a kitchen drawer..

I know you feel terrible... It will take time. She still loves you..

She will be fine.. just continue to love her.. 

You are a wonderful cat guardian... thank you for loving her....

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A week or so ago, I closed a door on my kitten's tail. She was a bit standoffish for a few days, but is completely back to normal now. I'm sure it will work out with your little one! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It probably is more hurt feelings than hurt body.  I would just keep an eye on her.  

Accidents happen.  Mooch likes to sit under my feet when I'm getting her meds or food ready and even though I know that; I've still managed to step on her a bit or trip over her.  She usually backs up a little bit; but she always forgives me.  And then she's right back under my feet for the next round of meds/roods.