hyperventilating with tongue out

missmolly86

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 1 year old male is mostly an indoor cat but I occasionally let him out in the backyard to run around. Our yard has a lawn and then there's a big hill and a brush filled area. When he is inside the house he runs around and is pretty active. The past few times I've let him out to play after about 20 min he comes scampering up the hill with his tongue out panting heavily like a dog. He lies down inside and it probably takes about 5 minutes to stop. During this time his heart rate seems extremely elevate and he continues panting with his tongue out. The temperature where I live has been between 70 and 80 so warm but not extremely hot. Does this seem like a normal reaction to running faster and longer than he normally would or does it seem like it could be a respiratory or asthma condition? I've just never seen a cat pant like that before. Thank you for your help

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it hot where you are?  That, plus the excitement of being outside might cause this. 

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked for a heart condition? Hoping not, but the symptoms make me wonder.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When my youngest one was that age, he used to run around like a maniac (in the house) and get like that.  Then he would have to take a break, and he would be panting and freak me out.  The Vet checked him over for MY reassurance, but she said he was AOK. 

When your plays hard inside, does he never pant?  75 degrees doesn't seem very hot....heck, our house is hotter than that ...maybe that's why out guy pants