Hyperthyroidism.

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, i have a 16 year old feral cat, Mollie, that has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. She is at the a 12. Trying to figure out some natural ways to treat. Cannot trap her every few months to take to vet for monitoring if prescribed meds. This is just not an option as she would have to be knocked out ea time $350. I'm hoping I can get some feedback on this situation. Thank you much.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I noticed the title of your thread is Hyperthyroidism but in the first sentence you said Mollie has Hypothyroidism. Which diagnosis is correct? Some members have had good luck with a special diet to treat H-T, scroll down to Prescription Diet for cats with Hyperthyroidism: Is There a Special Diet for Hyperthyroidism in Cats? | PetMD.
I would also suggest talking with your vet to see what they recommend. Good luck! :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry. She dies have Hyperthyroidism. Is there a way to edit my post?

The vet only suggested YD food, but said not many cats like it. Mollie is picky.

Thank u for ur reply 😺

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If it was me, I would get the transdermal ear gel and use it. Provided you can touch an ear when you feed. It wouldn’t be the best way to treat, but better than nothing. I wouldn’t recheck. I know it sounds bad, but treatment, any treatment for hyperthyroidism is better than none. Without treatment he will suffer from severe weight loss, high blood pressure, most likely heart disease, possibly blindness, kidney disease and he will starve to death. Not good at all.
But, if you can touch his ear and get the gel on him twice a day if possible, but even if only once it is better than nothing at all. Repeated anesthesia and stress isn’t good for him. Sure it is best to check in 30 days, but with ferals, you can’t always do what’s best, and you do what you can.
The thyroid diet won’t work because he must eat that and only that and being a feral I am sure he eats other things besides what you feed him.
You could try hiding a Methimazole pill or half pill in a tiny amount of food that only he has access to, but you would have to make sure he ate it.
Even if he missed a couple of doses it still would be better than not treating at all.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a way to edit my post?
Since you are at the Kitten status you would have to reach Young Cat and have a membership for 5 days with at least 20 posts to be able to edit your post. You also have up to 120 minutes after the post is written to be able to edit. You can refer to this information for further clarification, hope it helps: Promotions and Benefits

ETA: Please don't worry since you explained the mistake so we understand she has Hyperthyroidism now. Best of luck and please keep us posted on Mollie's progress.

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If it was me, I would get the transdermal ear gel and use it. Provided you can touch an ear when you feed. It wouldn’t be the best way to treat, but better than nothing. I wouldn’t recheck. I know it sounds bad, but treatment, any treatment for hyperthyroidism is better than none. Without treatment he will suffer from severe weight loss, high blood pressure, most likely heart disease, possibly blindness, kidney disease and he will starve to death. Not good at all.
But, if you can touch his ear and get the gel on him twice a day if possible, but even if only once it is better than nothing at all. Repeated anesthesia and stress isn’t good for him. Sure it is best to check in 30 days, but with ferals, you can’t always do what’s best, and you do what you can.
The thyroid diet won’t work because he must eat that and only that and being a feral I am sure he eats other things besides what you feed him.
You could try hiding a Methimazole pill or half pill in a tiny amount of food that only he has access to, but you would have to make sure he ate it.
Even if he missed a couple of doses it still would be better than not treating at all.
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I would use the meds u mention but vet wont prescribe unless I go every few months for recheck. Is there anything I can use without prescription?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do understand that. States have different requirements for how often a pet needs to be physically seen in order to refill a prescription or provide a service without being considered a new client. At some point, you were going to run into a problem with the window. However, you might try researching what the law is in your state as this does vary, especially for prescriptions which are not controlled substances. If you are working with a vet who is indicating that you need a three month revisit, it might be possible to find another one.

You also might try contacting any feral cat groups and ask what they do in cases like this. Cats with hyperthyroidism should be rechecked frequently, but this is a different case and you are trying to provide a minimum level of care.

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since you are at the Kitten status you would have to reach Young Cat and have a membership for 5 days with at least 20 posts to be able to edit your post. You also have up to 120 minutes after the post is written to be able to edit. You can refer to this information for further clarification, hope it helps: Promotions and Benefits

ETA: Please don't worry since you explained the mistake so we understand she has Hyperthyroidism now. Best of luck and please keep us posted on Mollie's progress.
Thank you, this site seems very confusing to me.

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do understand that. States have different requirements for how often a pet needs to be physically seen in order to refill a prescription or provide a service without being considered a new client. At some point, you were going to run into a problem with the window. However, you might try researching what the law is in your state as this does vary, especially for prescriptions which are not controlled substances. If you are working with a vet who is indicating that you need a three month revisit, it might be possible to find another one.

You also might try contacting any feral cat groups and ask what they do in cases like this. Cats with hyperthyroidism should be rechecked frequently, but this is a different case and you are trying to provide a minimum level of care.
Thank you, a feral group is a great idea. Off hand do u kno of one or I can research this if not.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
H
Hi. Thank you for your reply. I would use the meds u mention but vet wont prescribe unless I go every few months for recheck. Is there anything I can use without prescription?
Unfortunately, no. There is Alley Cat Allies that might be able to help with your question of what to do if the vet won’t prescribe Methimazole for your feral cat. There is also the Feral Cat Collation.

Sometimes there are local Facebook feral cat groups who may have members that know of local vets who are more cooperative. You can also check your states veterinary board for the laws regarding feral cats.

I know , at least 2 years ago in CA, you could actually have a veterinarian prescribe antibiotics and such for a feral cat they have never seen. When I worked at the cat hospital we would do that.

You may have better help and understanding in a feline only hospital.

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
H
Unfortunately, no. There is Alley Cat Allies that might be able to help with your question of what to do if the vet won’t prescribe Methimazole for your feral cat. There is also the Feral Cat Collation.

Sometimes there are local Facebook feral cat groups who may have members that know of local vets who are more cooperative. You can also check your states veterinary board for the laws regarding feral cats.

I know , at least 2 years ago in CA, you could actually have a veterinarian prescribe antibiotics and such for a feral cat they have never seen. When I worked at the cat hospital we would do that.

You may have better help and understanding in a feline only hospital.
Oh thank u so much. Very good suggestions. Will let u kno if I get somewhere. Thx again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Google "cat rescue groups my area" or "feral cat rescue my area" and see if you can find a local group. Alley Cat Allies has a group knowns as Feral Friends Network. Complete this and see if anyone locally replies. They are all volunteers, so it can be hit and miss. Make it clear that you do not want them to take the cat, but want information about your situation.
Feral Friends Network® Connect

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Google "cat rescue groups my area" or "feral cat rescue my area" and see if you can find a local group. Alley Cat Allies has a group knowns as Feral Friends Network. Complete this and see if anyone locally replies. They are all volunteers, so it can be hit and miss. Make it clear that you do not want them to take the cat, but want information about your situation.
Feral Friends Network® Connect
Thank you very much, good idea, yes will look into this.

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry her not him
Thank you. The vet won't give any meds unless I bring her in every few months. Then just to check her thyroid he has to knock her out. I don't think I could trap her often and the expense is overwhelming. Wish I could get something without a vet. Maybe something natural. 🤔

Honeybee2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Oops, I'm sorry, u had already answered my post. I'm trying to contact feral groups but not much help. Will keep trying. Thank u much.