Hyperthyroidism with secondary kidney problem

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat was recently confined about two weeks ago because his crea was 4.2. The vets made series of test like pth test, thyroid test, xray, calcium test and they confirmed he has hyperthyroidism. he was scheduled for surgery but the vets postponed it because of major risk because of his high crea and he is also hypertensive and his bp is being monitored at home. His xray also shows kidney stone he has hypercalcemia and he also has digestive enzyme insuffiency. He is being treated at home right now and his new blood result showed his crea is down to 3.07 and his calcium level is close to normal. His medication are ipakitin mixed with 3 ml water, nefrotec, methimazole, enalapril, and pancreatin. The problem is he don't want to eat much of kidney diet. Can you recommend the best food alternative for his case? He has appetite but is losing weight

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi C clowdy , can I ask you why the vet opted for the surgery rather than a less invasive (and risky) treatment like the I-131?
What kind of kidney diet are you feeding to him? There are a few brands out there, so if a cat doesn't like one, you can try a different one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi C clowdy , can I ask you why the vet opted for the surgery rather than a less invasive (and risky) treatment like the I-131?
What kind of kidney diet are you feeding to him? There are a few brands out there, so if a cat doesn't like one, you can try a different one.
Thanks for the reply. I think they don't have 1-131 yet where I lived and surgery is their only option. I lived in a third world country. We are feeding him Royal canin wet food and monge vet solutions kidney, it's the only prescription kidney diet available in my area. We are thinking of ordering from amazon but I don't know what kind of food should be safe if I order online since the vet said only feed him prescription diet for 3 to 6 mos but he don't like it he's weight is down from 2.7kg to 2.4 kg since 2 weeks after he went home

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin is a good choice for the kidney diet. Monge is a rather good brand, is an Italian brand.
There are more brands, like Hill's k/d, and Trovet Renal (dry and wet). My cats would eat the latter, and they were happier with it than with R/C.

Hyperthyroidism is likely the main cause for his weight decrease, so, once you fix this issue, his weight should go up a bit.
It seems you're doing an excellent job with this cat, despite the fact that you say you live in a "third world country".

I think your vet told you that once the HT issue has been fixed, the cat's kidney problems could flare up. Hyperthyroidism tends to mask the kidney disease.

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin is a good choice for the kidney diet. Monge is a rather good brand, is an Italian brand.
There are more brands, like Hill's k/d, and Trovet Renal (dry and wet). My cats would eat the latter, and they were happier with it than with R/C.

Hyperthyroidism is likely the main cause for his weight decrease, so, once you fix this issue, his weight should go up a bit.
It seems you're doing an excellent job with this cat, despite the fact that you say you live in a "third world country".

I think your vet told you that once the HT issue has been fixed, the cat's kidney problems could flare up. Hyperthyroidism tends to mask the kidney disease.
Thanks we are trying our best to give him the best kind of treatment. The vet said they are worried he could go to kidney failure he is due to another crea test after 2 weeks. I will look for the Trovet Renal you mentioned he already tried the K/D and didn't like it much as well.

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The K/D available where I lived has expiration of 2 months only since it is discontinued in my area. I will look for the Trovet brand

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now he doesn't show any signs of CKD because he is always hungry. I think it's because of what you said about hyperthyroidism masking it

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being constantly hungry is one of the typical symptoms of the hyperthyroidism, along with losing weight, an unkempt coat and an increased activity/meowing/aggression.

The same disease masks the kidney failure, so it happens that once the cat has been successfully treated for the thyroid, his renal disease will show up worse than it is now.

Royal Canin for kidney diet comes in Tuna Fish or Chicken. If your cat dislikes one, you could try the other one. Or you can switch to a different brand. I hope you can get hold of it.

clowdy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Being constantly hungry is one of the typical symptoms of the hyperthyroidism, along with losing weight, an unkempt coat and an increased activity/meowing/aggression.

The same disease masks the kidney failure, so it happens that once the cat has been successfully treated for the thyroid, his renal disease will show up worse than it is now.

Royal Canin for kidney diet comes in Tuna Fish or Chicken. If your cat dislikes one, you could try the other one. Or you can switch to a different brand. I hope you can get hold of it.
Thanks for the reply. He doesn't want to eat completely his renal food right now. We need to force feed him but when I tried giving fancy feast he is eating it. For his case what kind of non renal food is best to order in amazon since I lived outside US shipping will be expensive but he doesn't like renal food anymore. can you help me which standard wet food is best to give to him in this website http://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats were on R/C Tuna ish and Chicken, first.
I had also tried Hill's k/d, but they both disliked it.
Then I was advised a different brand, Trovet Renal (chicken) and they really loved it. It also comes in dry food, which they loved too.
This is my experience with renal diet food.

I understand that you have difficulty at getting special food over there, so I can't really advise you on what to do. I wouldn't like you to spend money on something expensive (expecially for the shipping costs) and then your cat doesn't like it...

Another option could be that you feed him normal food, the one he likes more, and add one of those phosphorus binders that you are already using (Ipatikine). Ask your vet about the correct dosage with food.