Husband Stepped on Kitten

MissKitty722

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

My husband and I are both wheelchair users, and this morning while preparing breakfast Gordon got under his wheel and my husband rolled over his paw for a split second. He was limping a bit so my husband checked his paw (right back paw) and he checked each claw. When he got to the middle paw Gordon squealed and won't let him touch it.

I called the ER and they suggested I wait until tomorrow to se my vet or Urgent care. That one nail seems swollen and he obviously is laying low. Gordon is around 4-5 months old. My question is, is it possible that it's broken and if so what can the vet really do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did you call the ER because your vet's office is not open? Did you explain to the ER what you described to us? I personally think Gordon's paw should be looked at sooner rather than later. I don't know what they might do, because I don't know the extent of the injury - but, at a minimum they could at least give him some pain meds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissKitty722

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did you call the ER because your vet's office is not open? Did you explain to the ER what you described to us? I personally think Gordon's paw should be looked at sooner rather than later. I don't know what they might do, because I don't know the extent of the injury - but, at a minimum they could at least give him some pain meds.
Yes, my vet is not open. It is a holiday. So even the urgent care is closed. I did explain it to them in the same manner.

The ER explained that he would be low priority because they have a lot of critical cases and that we would be waiting many, many hours to be seen. I don't want to stress him any further by having him in a car waiting for hours in a parking lot. The best I can do is wait until my vet opens in the AM and see if they can fit him in. If not, take him to Urgent care vs. the ER.

He jumped on the table and on my bed after eating and is asleep belly up. As usual. So, we are just keeping an eye on him. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious. My husband feels awful. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissKitty722

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, my vet is not open. It is a holiday. So even the urgent care is closed. I did explain it to them in the same manner.

The ER explained that he would be low priority because they have a lot of critical cases and that we would be waiting many, many hours to be seen. I don't want to stress him any further by having him in a car waiting for hours in a parking lot. The best I can do is wait until my vet opens in the AM and see if they can fit him in. If not, take him to Urgent care vs. the ER.

He jumped on the table and on my bed after eating and is asleep belly up. As usual. So, we are just keeping an eye on him. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious. My husband feels awful. :(
Edit: His paw as a whole is NOT swollen. Just one of the claws

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good that he jumped. He might still be in pain, but it doesn't sound like you have any options other than to wait. Just watch over him, and tell your husband that accidents happen - especially with a young kitten. They are inevitable!