husband moved in, cat attacking

annamariesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband moved in with me about a year ago and I'm about 6 months pregnant right now. Starting around the time I got pregnant, My kitty Coastie has been attacking him and only him. I have tried being the one to discipline her, that didn't work. I've tried having him discipline her, that doesn't seem to be working. I think that it is something about territory. he had moved in for a while before, but we had some issues between us, and he had to move out for a while until we could resolve our own personal issues, now we're happier than ever except our kitty. anyone know how we can inform my kitty that our house is HIS territory as well? or what the issue could be if its not that.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, "disciplining" her is not working because cats do not respond well to discipline.  Trying to find more effective ways of "discipline" won't work either.  Cats are not dogs.  It's probably a territory and hormone thing with you.  She lashes out at him because of misdirected aggression.  Something tells her that she can't lash out at you because you are in a delicate condition.  She knows something is different but she doesn't know what.  Has she had experience previously with small children or babies?  If not, I would calm her by letting her get used to the sites and sounds of  a baby that she is going to have to get used to.  Play a baby crying from Youtube or something and let her get used to the sound.  Let her check out the baby furniture and even lay in it so she can get used to the sites and smells.  The powder, everything.  Maybe encourage her to sniff you and your belly so she can get used to that.  Try not to discipline her as she is getting used to this stuff.  It is new to her and she is unsure of it.  Cats, like people, often get upset by change.  You need to help her and not discipline her.  Once she feels confident, she should be OK and the attacking should stop.  Maybe try feliway plug ins for good measure?  By the time the baby comes, she should be used to the sounds and smells and sites so she will be OK with the baby.  Contrary to belief, cats are often very good with infants. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annamariesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We disipline her by giving her a pat on the butt and putting her in the bathroom for a half hour

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annamariesmomma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she definitely knows that she did something wrong, and my "delicate condition" doesn't bother her, she has attacked me back when I accidentally stepped on her tail, so she has no issue with that she doesn't act ANY different towards me, not even curious sniffing or avoidance. She has NO issue with me. But she has been attacking him with a vengeance, but before he moved out, she LOVED him... so I donno whats going on.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK well first off, cats are not aware that you are trying to "correct" them.  Most of the time, they don't know why you are "patting them on the butt" or giving them a "time out."  This is fruitless.  If it were working, this thread would not be here.  She is a cat.  Not a human.  Not a dog.  She just knows that all of the sudden something is changing and now you are being mean to her and she is just trying to voice her concerns and frustrations.  

Try Feliway and try the things to prepare her for the child.  Tell your husband to maybe try feeding her and being her primary caregiver for awhile and see if she softens to him.  It is just misdirected aggression because she is worried.  Cats don't like change.  She knows a big one is coming.  She is nervous.   

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your cat picked up on the tension between you and your husband before he moved out. Your cat obviously sees you as her only owner, and she sees your husband as the person who made you upset, etc, and had to be "forced out" in her mind. I think this is a situation where time is going to be the biggest factor. Your cat needs to see you and your husband interacting normally and I think she'll eventually realize that your husband isn't the enemy. Can you have your husband do all of the feeding from now on? Cats usually come around to people much more quickly if they depend on that person for some aspect of their lives, and food is usually the easiest way to do that.