Husband brought home a feral kitten...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shorty14788

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I REALLY need an objective opinion on this new home.

After further discusions, it was brought to my attention that this woman is VERY low income. She is on food stamps and would have to go to the SPCA in order to get her shots and get her spayed. She does not have a car or any other means of transportation other then the city bus. The only food she could aford for the kitten is some store brand somthing or another.

I am worried that if little Scarlets tail requires amputation or if she has other health problems that she wont be able to afford it. I dont want to tell this woman that she cant have her because she is poor but I worry about whats best for the kitten. What should I do?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is really a tough one. Part of being a responsible pet owner is being able to afford the care of the cat.

That said... many people without resources own pets.

However.... this kitty may need attention. She's a rescue with potential health problems - and a tail amputation isn't cheap.

Hubby and I (when we had money) helped various people around the country with vet bills or spaying/neutering by setting up funds at the vet. It's strange to most of them - but they're usually willing to do it. We would call, chat with whoever answered the phone. They'd usually have the owner/vet/office manager call us back, and we'd explain the situation. Sometimes we'd have to fax over a copy of the front and back of the credit card with a statement of who the funds were to be credit to - and they'd just carry a credit balance and use it up as needed.

I don't know if you and hubby are in a financial position to offer something like this - but if it otherwise seems like it would be a great home for Scarlet, if you're willing to pay for her vet care so the woman has no hesitation in getting her there or making the difficult decision to have an expensive surgery like the tail amputation done, then maybe.... ????

Just a thought.

Laurie

lion king

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I read your post and hope my reply isn't too late. feral cats, especially when they are young will be quite unsocial with ppl and animals. however with some TLC and giving her/he space they will eventually come around. I would not have them around children, cause they will not tolerate a childs need to play. I have a feral kitten myself, her eyes weren't even open when I found her and her litter being killed by dogs. I managed to chase the dogs away, and sadly was only to save this little girl. She only knows us and the inside of our home, however as she gets older, her instincts are kicking in. She growls a lot at her tail and instinctively wants to run out the door, especially when she see the chipmunks and squirrels. Please don't terminate the cat, she only needs time ttto adjust and some TLC. Also needs to be fixed. They make great pets, My last cat I had for almost 20 years. I also took in a cat that was a pet, and someone heartlessly, that lived in the condo I'm in let her go when they moved. I figured this out because the cat never left the area. Finally I invited her in my home and she was the sweetest cat I ever seen, unfortunately she lived with the raccoon in the winter to stay warm and died of raccon worm. Please take her to the vet, the vets will give her/him the shots it needs, de flea her and fixed her. She will come around and proberly be the best little kitten you ever had. Best Wishes