hurt paw

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Woke up this morning and Merlin was limping around on his front right paw. Gave the vet a call and they're closed today and tomorrow and if we took him in we'd have to cough up $150 just for the visit.

Well his limping has improved dramatically throughout the day so I'm not AS worried, but I'm still REAL worried. He's putting weight on it, he can run if he wants, and he can still jump and climb...but he really favors it. I hope it's just a sprain. I'm assuming he wouldn't put any pressure on it if it was broken, right?

I forgot to mention I found a teeny piece of litter stuck in the pad of that paw and that's what I thought was making him limp... so maybe he's just got a sore pad? I've been keeping him in his kitten cuddler and he's been sleeping most of the day... his poos look good and he's eating and drinking like a kitten, which is any minute he's awake lol.

Any advice as to how to nurse him until Monday? Thanks everyone

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He probably just landed wrong on it. Cat's do that. If you don't feel any heat anywhere, and he is eating and drinking okay, chances are if you just put him in a room to rest and stay off of it, he will be fine by Monday-

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks
That's what I planned on doing. My guess is he has a cramp, he sprained it, or maybe Milo jumped on it.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agee with Hissy.
When Stormy was a kitten I would have sworn she somehow broke her back leg. She couldn't walk on it and she screamed if it was touched!

Took her to the vet and the Xray came back ok. She probably twisted it on landed on it wrong. She was back too normal in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he's running and jumping and climbing my leg today lol but he's still a tad bit cautious. If I'm still hesitant tomorrow, he'll go to the vet
Thanks guys!!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's really good news! Hope he continues improving and the vet won't be necessary.

tuls99

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
pretty worrie-some when kitty is limping...just have to aceept the fact that they have fun when we aren't looking...

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tigerbabygrr

Well he's running and jumping and climbing my leg today lol but he's still a tad bit cautious. If I'm still hesitant tomorrow, he'll go to the vet
Thanks guys!!
I just wanted to say those kittens in your signature are seriously gorgeous.

rbilsland07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I just got a new kitten yesterday, he's seven weeks old tomorrow but I brought him home and we were on my bed and I turned my back and he jumped off my bed and has been limping since. Like yours he can run and play and everything but still limps... was your kitten ok or do you think not so much and I should go to a vet?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RBI - I would take the kitten in, because their bones are much smaller and softer than a grown cat's, and yet more 'rubbery', so if there were a break, it wouldn't necessarily be so obvious (without an x-ray or vet exam) but if allowed to heal wrong, can affect them forever.