Hurt kitten

Jwilmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! Called into vet but awaiting a return call. Heard a kitten crying in my yard. Found him at the top of a tree. After trying to coach it down. He decided to jump about 20ish feet. He landed on his back. He ran to me an had blood coming from his nose. Quite a bit. I got it to stop bleeding. His nose and eye area appear to be swollen. He fell asleep. Which worried me but is breathing fine. When he wakes up he starts profusely sneezing. Has lots of mucus and small amount of blood. Eyes start watering. Struggles to breath because the draining. Can cats break their nose? What can I do to help this poor baby while I wait??

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is an emergency and it might not make a difference at this point what he broke or injured as he is exhibiting serious symptoms. Is there an ER or would your vet allow a walk in....or for you to hand him over in the parking lot so they can see him if they are still observing COVID regulations? Most vets would consider this enough of an emergency to allow you to bring him right over. Did they act as if they wanted you to wait even after you told them what happened? There is no first aid I can think of for this except to get him to the vet...I would probably drive over regardless and see if they will just take him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jwilmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately the ER vet is closed because they are moving. My vets closes at 12 on Saturday. Ive called others appears they aren't as concerned or not opened being the weekend. Left messages. Hoping someone call soon.

Jwilmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its been a couple of hours. He has since eaten a bit. Is very alert. Eyes are dilating. Still sneezing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don't be polite. Really play this up and describe the condition as you did here. The fact of the matter is that I have seen kittens easily survive a big jump from a tree, although that does not mean that it is some kind of guarantee that they all will. There is a common myth, even among cat people, that a cat will always right itself and survive a fall which is not true. This cat was not so lucky. Go with there is a lot of blood, he is struggling to breathe, and he is sleepy/in and out of consciousness. What are they going to do? Get mad at you because you aren't a doctor and overreacted.

Jwilmore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's the type of voicemails I left... Frantic momma. Ill pay for after hour care. Just need this baby to be seen.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Try to keep him comfortable and safe inside. If he will eat, carefully let him have food but watch for any swallowing issues since there may be facial damage. Dilated pupils can mean pain in the body or brain trauma which is a possibility given the location of the injuries. Sneezing leads me to believe there might be damage or some obstruction from the fall. Keep trying to get a vet. If all else fails, keep him the best you can and get to a vet Monday morning.