Hurricane Season - Are You Prepared?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Live in the Midwest, so no hurricanes for us. I always worry for everyone that does have to deal with these powerful storms. My DH is in Washington, D.C. for a few days and I am worried about the hurricane headed that way for the weekend
. Not sure if he will make it home as I am sure flights will be delayed. I pray for all of you in the line of fire, so to speak. Please stay safe everyone!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

You really don't need that much, as even in an absolute worst case scenario, you're going to have emergency responders able to provide aide unless you're very remote.

It is a good idea to go ahead and fill up the bathtubs though after thoroughly cleaning them, so you can flush the toilets and wash your face and what not or have emergency water right there if for some reason you lose water pressure.

And double-check that water is A-OK after if you are hit, and just run it for a while to flush it out.
Thanks. If we loose power we loose water because we have a well. Oh for the old days where you pumped it by hand!
That's part of why I've been so concerned.
Originally Posted by MargeCat

The standard recommended amount is to allow 1 gallon per PERSON per DAY. If you have pets, allow extra for them. I'd say that more than that wouldn't hurt. Remember, you also need water for bathing and cooking, if cooking will be possible. Also, if it's hot, you may want to allow more water per person and per pet. You may also need water for flushing the toilet; waste water can be used for this (water from dish washing, bathing, etc.). I'd be careful with using creek water, even with filtering. Also, if the storm is very bad, he may not be able to get to the creek, even afterwards (debris, downed lines, etc.) Just fill up clean food-safe containers with tap water now. Don't use old milk jugs, as they will make the water taste sour. Always save more than you think you'll need. You can always drink it, etc. later. Better safe than sorry with water. You can only survive up to 3 days without water.

Take care. I'll be thinking of you.
Thanks! I'm just not sure how many days we should be thinking of ya know? I deffinitely will fill up the bathtub. Unfortunately we only have 1 tub and the other is a shower. If only I could collect the rain water!
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Live in the Midwest, so no hurricanes for us. I always worry for everyone that does have to deal with these powerful storms. My DH is in Washington, D.C. for a few days and I am worried about the hurricane headed that way for the weekend
. Not sure if he will make it home as I am sure flights will be delayed. I pray for all of you in the line of fire, so to speak. Please stay safe everyone!
Your DH isn't too far from me; maybe 2 hours drive. I'm just more costal. I would rather be in DC than here right now. I'm still praying that whatever comes our way is gentle to us.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Question: How many days of water are you stocking up on? Do you have well water? I do not have a generator to run the well pump so I'm afraid to not have enough; though DH says he can always walk to the creek down the road and get water to filter.
We have well water too and being without power for a long period of time sucks. One thing I recommend is fill you bathtub with water before the storm, just in case. That way you can still use the toilet (no well water, no flushing. But pouring a pot of water in the toilet will do the trick). Don't forget you will also need water for brushing your teeth and washing if it's out for a period of time so fill small water bottles that are easier to manage along with the gallons of water. Hope you don't have to deal with all that, but better safe than sorry.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to what Ducman said, don't forget to keep your (and your pets') prescriptions filled, don't want to run out. If you don't evacuate, you can always get emergency water from your water heater, if you have the big kind that fills up. We also keep charcoal for the BBQ (or propane if you have that kind) for cooking frozen meat since we don't have a generator. Also keep stocked dried fruit, in addition to canned food. We keep ice in the freezer not only for keeping things cold but for extra water when it melts. Keep some cash on hand since debit cards might not work if the electricity is out.

This is for earthquakes but it's pretty much the same thing.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

We have well water too and being without power for a long period of time sucks. One thing I recommend is fill you bathtub with water before the storm, just in case. That way you can still use the toilet (no well water, no flushing. But pouring a pot of water in the toilet will do the trick). Don't forget you will also need water for brushing your teeth and washing if it's out for a period of time so fill small water bottles that are easier to manage along with the gallons of water. Hope you don't have to deal with all that, but better safe than sorry.
Is about one typical large pot of water enough for flushing? Not to be vulgar; but DH and I already discussed using one bathroom for one function (and not flushing) and the other for the other function so we can flush that toilet. We did get more water tonight; but I'm going to collect every sport bottle in the house and fill those up too. (DH has a lot of backpacking gear that should come in handy...he's also offered to "dig me a hole" out back. Gee thanks... I had told him that if we were camping a designated outhouse is handy because you don't have to worry about that stuff.) I'm kind of glad now that DD isn't potty trained yet! One less bottom to worry about!
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

In addition to what Ducman said, don't forget to keep your (and your pets') prescriptions filled, don't want to run out. If you don't evacuate, you can always get emergency water from your water heater, if you have the big kind that fills up. We also keep charcoal for the BBQ (or propane if you have that kind) for cooking frozen meat since we don't have a generator. Also keep stocked dried fruit, in addition to canned food. We keep ice in the freezer not only for keeping things cold but for extra water when it melts. Keep some cash on hand since debit cards might not work if the electricity is out.

This is for earthquakes but it's pretty much the same thing.
Thanks that helps! I think we are good on all that. I got extra charcoal this week (kind of wish now we had a propane grill instead!) and I got some canned foods and things like that. We don't typically eat canned veggies so I didn't have any on hand. I remembered tonight that you can make rice with broth; which I have several containers of too. DH has a few backpacking stoves that should come in handy if need be. I'm praying they wont be! But it's a comfort to have those on hand. I've spent the week eating leftovers for lunch to clear the refigerator of much that could spoil. I don't have much meat in the freezer either; just veggie meat and maybe one thing of turkey sausage. I figure if the veggies in the freezer should thaw they'd be ok or we can cook them on the little stove. Still praying it doesn't come to that. But I did actually pick up a few containers of pureed veggies for DD. She will still eat them and it can be a good way to get fluid into her too.

The good news is the last time I looked; it looks as if Irene will be a bit weaker when she gets here if shes on her current track. And we will be a tad farther from her core winds. I am also very grateful for that. I pray it continues that way.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Is about one typical large pot of water enough for flushing? Not to be vulgar; but DH and I already discussed using one bathroom for one function (and not flushing) and the other for the other function so we can flush that toilet. We did get more water tonight; but I'm going to collect every sport bottle in the house and fill those up too. (DH has a lot of backpacking gear that should come in handy...he's also offered to "dig me a hole" out back. Gee thanks... I had told him that if we were camping a designated outhouse is handy because you don't have to worry about that stuff.) I'm kind of glad now that DD isn't potty trained yet! One less bottom to worry about!
One large soup pan should be enough, but it depends on your septic system. LOL about the hole..that sounds like something my DH would offer.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! I'll save a kettle just for that purpose then. I do have an old set of pans I can use for it... All my other large containers are holding extra water.