Hurricane Matthew

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, it's almost 11:30pm here, & still no rain yet. They just showed Myrtle Beach on the news & was raining & very windy, so it's on its way! They said by 8:00 am, we will be getting 1-2 inches an hr.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It started really raining last night/ this am around 1:45. It's just pouring now. Wind is picking up.
Here are some pictures I just took. Hard to really tell, but you can see how much is coming down.
Sammy keeps meowing at the door to go out. I put some calming treats in his breakfast, but he's only eaten a little. He's too preoccupied.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in western NC and we got a ton of rain yesterday, in fact it's still raining today but not as much. I don't know if this is from Matthew or not but we sorely needed an end to the drought.

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in western NC and we got a ton of rain yesterday, in fact it's still raining today but not as much. I don't know if this is from Matthew or not but we sorely needed an end to the drought.
Any rain in the NC, SC & surrounding areas is from the hurricane. I hope you are watching your local news.
We are in the midst of it now.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammy still not interested in eating, too busy watching outside the door.
I don't have any rescue remedy, but do have a lot of other Bach flower essences.
(It used to be one of my accounts when I was a buyer at the co-op), so pulled out the pet chart to see what might help. I used Scleranthus, Walnut, & Honeysuckle. I just put two drops on my finger, & wiped it on his young w/ each one. This way, I know he got it.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's everyone in this storm doing? It's still raining & windy here in Wilmington. We had a couple of breaks, but not for long. Sammy finally ate at 12:30, praise God! So he got the calming treats. :clap:
He's finally chilled out & sleeping on my bed. ...."whew!"

(Sorry, I usually make my bed every day, but that as made as it got today!)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any rain in the NC, SC & surrounding areas is from the hurricane. I hope you are watching your local news.
We are in the midst of it now.

I'm at work and on a break so no, not watching the news today. It's not bad out my way, just a lot of rain, nothing like when Hugo came through in '89 or David in '79. It's supposed to clear up tomorrow. Glad it's not too bad for you Kelly!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We stay away from candles. Too unsafe. Especially with pets around.

There's lots of good LED lanterns available for not much money. And flashlights. Just always be sure to have enough of the right batteries for them and, test them before the storm hits.
Things you can also use, even though they won't give off much light--but you can use them to steer yourself around your house in the dark:

1. Bring in any solar lights from outdoors.

2. Glow-sticks; Wal-Mart tends to have more this time of year, for trick-or-treaters to use. They usually go on sale for 50% off after Halloween, so you can stock up. Just keep an eye on the expiration date.

3. Check out Dollar Tree: they currently have Halloween lanterns, and some sort of flashlight-looking things for kids (they may be solar lawn stakes). They always have battery-powered flameless candles. That's what I use in power outages, in conjunction with an emergency lantern. Even a flameless tea light candle in a jar lid or saucer can be handy, especially to calm small children who are afraid of the dark.

4. Don't forget, your cell phone has a flashlight feature--or even just the light from the screen. However, you may want to conserve its charge by not using it.
That's something else worth having -- one of those emergency cell phone chargers that you can buy for a few dollars from the grocery store.  Your cell phone is absolutely essential in an emergency.  You can use it to call 911, it has GPS so 911 can find you if you're lost somehow, and it has a flashlight you can use in an emergency.  Keep it charged up, and have backup power for it just in case you actually need to use the flashlight feature.

Margret