Hurricane Dennis

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trying our best to, ladies... we're at the shoe store, it's much safer than home...anything is better than a tin can! Going to lie down for a bit and try to nap, maybe when I wake up it'll be all over!

sadisticookie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did I say I loved hurricane weather? Well this is me eating crow, BIG TIME.

All this rain we are continuing to get has flooded out my home. There are huge puddles of water sitting on top of the already drenched carpet and the cats keep trying to drink it. I'm worried sick they are going to get ill. The water is brown from goodness knows what and I'm going to be spending the next week or more trying to dry out the place. Due to strict living arrangements I have no other place to move the cats to. I'm on the verge of renting a hotel room for a week just so my cats and I don't have to live in such a damp environment (can you imagine the mold spores?)...

Aaahhhh I'm losing my mind here. I went through this a few months ago but it was never this bad. I'm literally walking barefoot in two inches of water (could be worse, I know).

Hope everyone else is doing alright. They keep saying on the news that the storm system could stall out and give us rain over the next 24-48 hours. We already have a tree lying in our driveway blocking our exit, that fell down earlier in the evening (it missed the cars by a few feet, landing in between two cars).

Guess I better get back to scooping up water with a mop bucket. Gonna be a long night..

gilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for being so late to get to this topic guys
I hope that you are all okay and get through this Mr Dennis the Menace!

I have been watching it's path on the news and it amazes me how calm ppl are when they are packing their belongings to evacuate. I don't think I would be that calm though...

Stay safe everyone!

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well we came through just fine. Dennis lost some of its strenght coming ashore yesterday. Cat 2. Lots of tree down but this didnt seem to be as bad
as Ivan for us. I think Ivan took down just about everything we had. I liked how it came in the daylight, it was alot less creepy with the howling and the blowing. For those of you still getting a taste of Dennis please stay safe!! My thoughts are with you.

This is what my house was like for the last two days. 3 teenage boys,3 dogs- a Bassett- a chocolate lab- and a cocker mix, 6 cats, a water dragon and dont forget one husband. We were all going a little stir crazy.

Eva

ricalynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadisticookie

All this rain we are continuing to get has flooded out my home. There are huge puddles of water sitting on top of the already drenched carpet and the cats keep trying to drink it. I'm worried sick they are going to get ill. The water is brown from goodness knows what and I'm going to be spending the next week or more trying to dry out the place. Due to strict living arrangements I have no other place to move the cats to. I'm on the verge of renting a hotel room for a week just so my cats and I don't have to live in such a damp environment (can you imagine the mold spores?)...

Aaahhhh I'm losing my mind here. I went through this a few months ago but it was never this bad. I'm literally walking barefoot in two inches of water (could be worse, I know).

Hope everyone else is doing alright. They keep saying on the news that the storm system could stall out and give us rain over the next 24-48 hours. We already have a tree lying in our driveway blocking our exit, that fell down earlier in the evening (it missed the cars by a few feet, landing in between two cars).

Guess I better get back to scooping up water with a mop bucket. Gonna be a long night..
I am so sorry to hear this!! I hope you and the kits are able to find some higher ground until the house is mucked out. Do you have an upper floor you could confine the cats to until the water's gone? How are they doing with wet tootsies?? I bet it's kinda funny to watch!

Stay well, and I hope the floodwaters recede sooner rather than later!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadisticookie

Oh, I feel for you! I agree - if you can, a motel would keep your kitties a lot safer. You can't let them drink that water! If all else fails, can you get one of those large pet crates, put your cats in it on top of a table? They won't like it, but at least they won't get sick!
Last year we stayed in the bar downstairs during the hurricanes. I couldn't risk my cats running around and getting behind freezers or whatever, so I kept them in a cage. I felt bad for them, but they were safe.

Prayers for you and your kitties!

sadisticookie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

I am so sorry to hear this!! I hope you and the kits are able to find some higher ground until the house is mucked out. Do you have an upper floor you could confine the cats to until the water's gone? How are they doing with wet tootsies?? I bet it's kinda funny to watch!

Stay well, and I hope the floodwaters recede sooner rather than later!
Thanks for the well wishes...thank goodness, the water level on the carpet started to go down within several hours after it came (where it went, who knows). The kitties decided wet paws and litter was a great combination to drive me nuts! We were all huddled on the bed, me getting pelted with wet litter chunks but all in all it actually was funny. For once, Baby Kitty didn't run from the carpet cleaner..he must have known it was necessary so he could roll all on the floor again soon

sadisticookie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Oh, I feel for you! I agree - if you can, a motel would keep your kitties a lot safer. You can't let them drink that water! If all else fails, can you get one of those large pet crates, put your cats in it on top of a table? They won't like it, but at least they won't get sick!
Last year we stayed in the bar downstairs during the hurricanes. I couldn't risk my cats running around and getting behind freezers or whatever, so I kept them in a cage. I felt bad for them, but they were safe.

Prayers for you and your kitties!
The kitties and I really appreciate your prayers

I did put together a big kennel pen and intended to place Sammy & Baby Kitty in it but every time I'd attempt to, they would hurry up and curl up on the bed. Funny how cats will do anything to get their way. I told them if it got any worse they would have to go in it. I should have gotten in it myself! Cats and water make one heck of a mess when combined

Just hoping no more hurricanes come around for a long long time