Hurrican Ike!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I know it's pretty late, but in another thread, I posted my cell number and if anyone needs a place to come from down there, give me a call. We have a spare bedroom/bath suite. Nothing fancy, but cheaper than the jacked-up prices they'll charge at a motel.
The peeps who are price-gouging are being watched, and will be fined if they get caught.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

I'm 1000% sure you misunderstood. There is *no* evacuation order for *Houston*. They had to have been referring to a coastal area, Galveston, High Island, etc.
My sister lives in the Woodlands which is just north (I think) of Houston, they are staying at their house.

I thing Galveston is gonna be hit hard though. That is where Jim Cantore is, and it is never good where he is at.

tamarae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone in the path of the storm, please stay safe and let us know when its over and that you're ok.

We had 9 inches of rain in 24 hours yesterday here in Lubbock, which is pretty funny since we only average 14 inches a year here. City was declared in a state of emergency, school and everything in town was cancelled for today.. then it only sprinkled today haha.

Sposed to have more rain coming though, down south gets pounded and we even get drowned way up here, its just not right.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst is over!

My wooden fence is down and the oak tree in my backyard is just about naked. Windows, doors and roof are all intact! I feel very lucky. I was sure I would have at least a couple of broken windows from this storm. The wind was incredible! Even more incredible, the power stayed on all through it! I was able to monitor storm all night on my laptop with a wireless internet connection!

I hope everyone else here came out as well as I did!! I know the poor folks on the coast haven't faired well!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful! What part of Houston are you in? I sure hope everyone else has such good luck... especially with regard to power!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

That's wonderful! What part of Houston are you in? I sure hope everyone else has such good luck... especially with regard to power!
The west side. About 15 miles from city center.

I just read that 90% of Houston was without power at daybreak. I have no idea why I never lost it but boy am I glad! The a/c is a crankin' !

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We in Houma Louisiana lost electricity. We just got electricity less than 48 hours before. We are back up and running now. I hope everyone there is safe. I haven't searched the news or read about anything that has happened. Everyone be safe.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

The west side. About 15 miles from city center.

I just read that 90% of Houston was without power at daybreak. I have no idea why I never lost it but boy am I glad! The a/c is a crankin' !
Right! That's my real fear -- going without AC in the Texas heat!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have just heard from a friend in Katy. He says their power never even flickered, and they're doing fine.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I have just heard from a friend in Katy. He says their power never even flickered, and they're doing fine.
Yeah, Katy is far enough west they were outside the full force winds. I'm thinking of moving to Katy when I retire!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crt

... I have water, food, cat supplies, but my biggest fear is being without power which means no air conditioning, etc. etc. I worry about the cats more than I do myself.
You sound just like my sister. She told me the exact same things.

Please let us know as soon as you can that you are okay.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mom just forwarded me an email from my louisiana relatives...
Well, we made it through another one with no serious damages. It is still very breezy here, with gusts probably still around 35 mph. It was VERY windy and rainy all night and most of the morning. But all I can see around here is small tree branches and leaves and some siding off the garage. And the best part is (knock on wood), we haven't lost power!

I talked to Brian in Northwest Houston, and they are all ok also - no damage or flooding - but they are without power. They are predicting weeks before all of Houston gets power back on. Hope all is well with David and Mike.