Adult Cat
Purraise

Kitty is 2.9kg - 3kg

feeding her 3 times a day 

morning 7am : 30grams

evening 7pm: 30grams

supper 10pm: 40grams

kitty is super noisy and is always begging for food

during work hours my mom says that she does not bother her, only when i come home at 6.30ish will her banshee mode start. 

after dinner she will take a short nap and by 9 she is banshee mode

am i feeding too little? 

im trying to maintain her weight as she is very petite 

thank you 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have no clue re metric measures.

My cats have 3 meals a day - about half of a 3 oz can of Fancy Feast each at each meal. They also free-feed dry food whenever they want.

7 a.m. to 7 p.m. is way way too long to be without food. No human could endure that let alone a small animal! From 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. is also way too long between meals. No wonder she is crying constantly for food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we are raw fed, it is not possible for me to free feed isit.. 

shes kinda of old already 

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think she is getting fed enough. From all the articles I have read she is supposed to eat 2-4% of her body weight in food. Is there any way your mom can add a feeding or two for you. 30 grams is just an ounce of food that is not enough. I don't do raw but my bunch gets 3 5 ounce cans to share a day and free feed on dry. 

Maybe you can invest in an automatic feeder. 

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...CLD-r_cVt0l2YsvM_ZkuVLFpNGOR14NsvCRoC443w_wcB

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cant see the link are those automatic feeder for raw food?

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
coming to two years old

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like she's hungry.  Can you try feeding her more?  Either one more meal before bed or leaving a small amount of dry food down for her.  You don't really need to worry about her becoming overweight if she is active, young, and you're feeding raw.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think that if you're not around to feed her enough meals of raw food, then maybe raw feeding isn't a good method for you and your cat. I think you need to consider adding at least some dry quality food when you're away. 

I respect the choice to feed homemade/raw but I think you need to find a way that works for you and your cat and obviously, in this case it's not a great solution.

As Dr. Boltz explained in the recent article, the most important consideration is to feed your cat. The type of food is important but it's secondary. Quality dry works just fine and you can opt for high-protein low-carb formula if you want. Just make sure she gets plenty of water (a water fountain works for us).

[article="33544"]A Scientific Take On Cat Nutrition By Dr Rachel Boltz​[/article]  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Kitty is 2.9kg - 3kg

feeding her 3 times a day 

morning 7am : 30grams

evening 7pm: 30grams

supper 10pm: 40grams

thank you 
For those of us who are non-metric:

Cat weights about 6 lbs

30 grams of food is about 1 oz.

3 oz of food a day is NOT enough for cat. So yes, you need to feed more food. Try feeding closer to 3 oz (85 g) of food for each meal. I suggest also leaving some food out during the day for the cat to snack on. No food for 12 hours is a very long time for a cat. I know you can't leave raw out but you can leave canned food out or some freeze dried raw. You can use a programmable timed feeder such as the one Louann linked to. I like the Petsafe 5 compartment feeder.

But what exactly are you feeding? What kind of raw? A commercial raw cat food? Homemade raw? Frankenprey?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm confused. Most guidelines for raw feeding suggest that a cat be fed 2-4% of its weight per day. 4% of 3 kg is 120 g. That is very close to what the OP is feeding. Why is everyone considering 120 g considerably inadequate?

I am also confused about the objections to feeding only twice (in this case three times) a day. Our vet recommends scheduled feedings, twice a day, with no free feeding. If I am feeding twice a day, it makes sense for the feedings to be 12 hours apart.

I adopted a stray about five weeks ago. I have been carefully monitoring her weight and consulting our vet, who has cautioned me about overfeeding. At this point, I am reasonably certain that she is getting enough food. She acts exactly like the OP describes. It doesn't matter how much I feed her. She is never full and actively looking for food for most of the day.

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@silverpersian  indeed me too! 

same my kitten has been like this all along since i found her on the roadside. I did feed her a lot more like x 2 this amount she usually gets...she gave me some peace but at this rate she is going she is going to grow fat! 

honestly confused 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I am feeding twice a day, it makes sense for the feedings to be 12 hours apart
My feeling is that cats look forward to their meals with gusto. To feed a cat at 7a.m. and 7 p.m. sounds severe to me. Personally, I would never feed my cats only twice a day. My cats love their 3 meals + dry kibble whenever they want. Everyone is different, but that's my opinion.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@silverpersian
 indeed me too! 

same my kitten has been like this all along since i found her on the roadside. I did feed her a lot more like x 2 this amount she usually gets...she gave me some peace but at this rate she is going she is going to grow fat! 

honestly confused 
She won't be fat! How would you feel if you were hungry?

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That depends on the frame of the cat. Some are naturally small-framed. My new cat, who is estimated to be close to a year old, weighed 6.5 lbs when we last saw the vet. She said that is a good weight for the cat's frame and she can afford to gain at most .5 lbs.

That is fine for a 6 months kitten, but not for a 2 year old cat.

nessakhoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That depends on the frame of the cat. Some are naturally small-framed. My new cat, who is estimated to be close to a year old, weighed 6.5 lbs when we last saw the vet. She said that is a good weight for the cat's frame and she can afford to gain at most .5 lbs.
yep shes totally a petite frame she hasnt grown that much and i can feel her ribs just nice

one week into feeding her x2 she is still as hungry as ever im convinced its just my bad training with her :(