Humping!?

chloe92us

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our new cat (neutered 3 months ago), Max, has been with us for a little over 2 months. He was dumped at a shelter with his girlfriend and their 3 kittens, all stuffed in a cat carrier. History is unknown. The Vet guesses he's about 3-4 years old. I think maybe a bit younger, based on how playful he is.

Anyhow, when we had him isolated my hubby was sleeping with him in the guest room, and Max kept trying to hump his arm. Of course it freaked my hubby out, so I bought him this toy, which he literally humps every night after the lights go out. It's so weird!

I've never had a cat do this! Has anyone else? Will it go away as his fond memories of doing it become more distant? I'm pretty sure all his male hormones are now gone, since it's been 3 months since he was neutered.

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's more common than you realise, it's just one of those things that embarrasses people so it's not really spoken about. Both un- neutered and neutered males do it although it's certainly more common for intact cats. 

Keep the Kong toy nearby (or grab another) and when he is about to hump replace whatever he's trying to hump with the object. He'll likely get the idea that you'd prefer him not to use parts of your body if you are consistent. . 

Last edited:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
It's reasonably common for testosterone to stay in the body for up to six months after neutering, sometimes longer.  Occasionally, in the odd cat there is a remnant of testosterone that never fully goes away.

Mounting and humping can also be signs of marking dominance and territory.  Do you have any other cats?

I think this is extremely rare but years ago my cousin had a spayed female cat who used to have sex with pillows, cushions, etc, on a frequent basis.  It was super embarrassing.  She was pure white, and whilst I can't see a connection, pure white cats do have lots of odd characteristics and physical issues.  She was a weird cat all round, now I think of it.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stewart was neutered at 10 months. He was a suckling cat, for about a year and then turned into a humping cat. He doesn't do it often now but he was pretty slick about it for a year or two. Straddling your leg on the couch or on the bed. He's mostly good now but then again he's 5 years old at this point.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My guy has done it since I adopted him. He is now 13 yrs old. I adopted him at age 8. He was neutered as a kitten..

rampionrampage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a blanket that was 'popular' so I switched it out with less appealing one. :) Two males, one was neutered over ten years prior, other about seven years.

I found out while using the blanket. Woke up to some intense stares and activity.

If the toy solves the issue of creeping out your boyfriend, let him keep using it. Maybe it'll go away on its own, or at least he'll limit it to the toy.