Humping toys for intact male cat

polarice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(first post so I hope this is in the right section)

I'm looking into getting a cat but would prefer not to spay or neuter them for fear of changing their personality (aggression, spontaneity, hunting behavior, general independence etc) / inflicting trauma from mutilation (I'd also consider non hormone producing fake testicles after neutering if this is feasible/affordable). As I understand it intact female cats face a greater risk of cancer compared to intact male cats so I'm leaning towards a male for this reason. I do understand though that leaving a cat intact will lead to dissatisfaction and general frustration when they have the urge to mate and so I'm thinking this could be mitigated with a designated "hump toy" as a replacement for a partner (also something that is really only feasible for a male cat). So far I've only seen examples online of this for dogs (I guess bc they are more notorious for humping) but don't see why it couldn't work for a cat.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a male cat getting consistent relief from a designated (by the human or the cat) toy for this purpose and what attributes the toy has, for example maybe a stuffed animal that smells like a female cat? I'm open to any experiences or ideas, thanks for reading 😸

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi polarice polarice Welcome to TCS. I'm glad you're doing a lot of research before making the decision to get a cat.

First of all we are a pro-spay and neuter site, so we are going to try and convince you of all the benefits to getting your cats fixed.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - A Complete Guide - TheCatSite

When you talk about changing their personality do you mean you want them to display (aggression, spontaneity, hunting behavior, general independence etc) ? The only things that spaying and neutering will prevent are aggression, spraying and kittens. They'll still hunt, if given outdoor access, and will still be independent. Being aggressive is not really a trait we want in pets. Fighting with other cats leads to injury and fatal infectious diseases. You'll end up spending a lot of money on vet bills if you allow an un-neutered cat to roam around and fight.

I do TNR and rescue and I've had more than 40 cats spayed and neutered. None of them have shown any signs of being traumatised. The males in particular barely notice anything had happened after being neutered. I don't think fake testicles make any difference to the cat, I've heard they're used in show cats for aesthetic reasons, but that's to impress the judges.

As for hump toys; well two of my male cats that were both neutered at 6 months old continue to hump. A blanket or a soft toy keeps them happy. Humping is not about satisfying a sexual urge, it's a show of dominance (when they hump other male or female cats) or a soothing behaviour, similar to a child sucking their thumb.

Having shared a house with a male cat that was neutered a little older than usual (8 months old, I couldn't get a vet appointment before that) the main thing that you'll need to worry about is the spraying. Tom cats stink. Seriously, it's bad enough to make your eyes water. They spray everywhere and it's really difficult to get rid of the smell of their urine once they've sprayed soft furnishings or wooden floors. And once they've got into the habit of spraying it's very hard to break that habit even after neutering. So you need to think about your family members, neighbours, landlord and any visitors that might come to your home if you're going to keep an intact tom cat around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

polarice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi polarice polarice Welcome to TCS. I'm glad you're doing a lot of research before making the decision to get a cat.

First of all we are a pro-spay and neuter site, so we are going to try and convince you of all the benefits to getting your cats fixed.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats - A Complete Guide - TheCatSite

When you talk about changing their personality do you mean you want them to display (aggression, spontaneity, hunting behavior, general independence etc) ? The only things that spaying and neutering will prevent are aggression, spraying and kittens. They'll still hunt, if given outdoor access, and will still be independent. Being aggressive is not really a trait we want in pets. Fighting with other cats leads to injury and fatal infectious diseases. You'll end up spending a lot of money on vet bills if you allow an un-neutered cat to roam around and fight.

I do TNR and rescue and I've had more than 40 cats spayed and neutered. None of them have shown any signs of being traumatised. The males in particular barely notice anything had happened after being neutered. I don't think fake testicles make any difference to the cat, I've heard they're used in show cats for aesthetic reasons, but that's to impress the judges.

As for hump toys; well two of my male cats that were both neutered at 6 months old continue to hump. A blanket or a soft toy keeps them happy. Humping is not about satisfying a sexual urge, it's a show of dominance (when they hump other male or female cats) or a soothing behaviour, similar to a child sucking their thumb.

Having shared a house with a male cat that was neutered a little older than usual (8 months old, I couldn't get a vet appointment before that) the main thing that you'll need to worry about is the spraying. Tom cats stink. Seriously, it's bad enough to make your eyes water. They spray everywhere and it's really difficult to get rid of the smell of their urine once they've sprayed soft furnishings or wooden floors. And once they've got into the habit of spraying it's very hard to break that habit even after neutering. So you need to think about your family members, neighbours, landlord and any visitors that might come to your home if you're going to keep an intact tom cat around.

Thanks for the reply, yes I do mean I would like the cat to retain his naturally occurring hormone regulated behaviors. As far as aggression is concerned I don't plan on having him around other cats. Humping behavior is of course non sexual when the animal no longer has a sex drive but an animal with a sexual urge would presumably find humping the right object to be sexually gratifying the same way a sexually mature human male would a blowup doll.

I'm sure you're absolutely right about the smell, I would need to condition proper spraying locations (for example, it's my understanding cats tend to spray in areas where they feel threatened/areas not under their control and less so in areas where they sleep and eat, dogs are the same and are routinely conditioned to mark their territory exclusively outdoors) and provide the cat with ample time in closed off outdoor environments particularly in the warmer months. There is also the option of temporary chemical castration via drugs like deslorelin which can be up or down regulated in response to behavior and products like Feliway(synthetic urine, better smelling than the real thing) which can disincentivize the cat from doing his own spraying in favor of cheek gland marking or scratching.

I realize I'm in the minority on this and it's all a bit unconventional but it's something I feel very strongly about and would at least like to give a try as neutering is irreversible.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Humping behavior is of course non sexual when the animal no longer has a sex drive but an animal with a sexual urge would presumably find humping the right object to be sexually gratifying the same way a sexually mature human male would a blowup doll.
That is seriously not how it works in cats. You're anthropomorphising.

I'm sure you're absolutely right about the smell, I would need to condition proper spraying locations (for example, it's my understanding cats tend to spray in areas where they feel threatened/areas not under their control and less so in areas where they sleep and eat, dogs are the same and are routinely conditioned to mark their territory exclusively outdoors) and provide the cat with ample time in closed off outdoor environments particularly in the warmer months. There is also the option of temporary chemical castration via drugs like deslorelin which can be up or down regulated in response to behavior and products like Feliway(synthetic urine, better smelling than the real thing) which can disincentivize the cat from doing his own spraying in favor of cheek gland marking or scratching.
Neutered cats may spray in the areas you mention. Unneutered cats just want to mark territory. You will be hard-pressed trying to work out where they'll do it.
Feliway do not say that it's useful for unneutered cats as they know that nothing stops them from spraying. It's also not 'synthetic urine'.. it mimics the cats pheromones that are found on glands throughout their body, with a little in the urine.

It's really best, too, to not keep comparing cats with dogs. They are very different behaviourally.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You say you don't plan on having him around other animals, but the urge to mate will drive him to get out and he will get into fights, and worse, sire goodness knows how many kittens. Bluntly, it's not an unconventional wish - it's all too common among men who react to animals being castrated as if it was going to be done to them. What it is, is irresponsible.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That is seriously not how it works in cats. You're anthropomorphising.
:yeah:
I think you're probably imagining that a male cat thinks in a similar way to a teenage boy. They don't. They're not imagining what it would be like to be with a real female cat or fantasying about being allowed to mate. Actually, none of the intact cats I cared for humped anything while they were intact.

Intact cats, male and female, will be driven by the urge to mate and this will lead to them trying everything possible to get out and find a mate. They could get injured in their attempts to escape and they'll definitely be at risk if they manage to get outside. If they don't manage to escape it will be very frustrating for them and I seriously doubt that being provided with a soft toy to hump will placate them in any way.

I think keeping a cat intact but not allowing it to breed would be unkind. They're at the mercy of their hormones and will be very uncomfortable.

Deslorelin is only FDA approved for use in mares and ferrets. It's used to induce ovulation.

Feliway doesn't work that way, as mani mani explained.

My intact young male cat sprayed the food and water bowls, sprayed the fridge, the couch, my bed, his beds, the curtains, the front and back door and all the windows. He even sprayed the Feliway diffuser, which meant the heat from the plug-in filled the house with the odour of grilled cat pee.

By all means give it a try if you think it will be better for you and the cat to live this way. Just make sure you have plenty on enzyme cleaner at home to deal with the pee.

:cringe:

polarice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say you don't plan on having him around other animals, but the urge to mate will drive him to get out and he will get into fights, and worse, sire goodness knows how many kittens. Bluntly, it's not an unconventional wish - it's all too common among men who react to animals being castrated as if it was going to be done to them. What it is, is irresponsible.
Yes I understand the desire to mate, what I'm planning on is directing this desire to a non living object and whether he gets out is of course dependent on the security of the enclosure and the relative temptation surrounding him, as is the case with neutered cats.

mani mani intact cats hump other cats to satisfy themselves sexually, are you saying this is not the case? I'm not saying this is the exclusive role of humping but there is nothing anthropomorphic about the feasibility of interchanging a mate with a sufficiently convincing replica, it's universal among animals humans included though whether or not I can create a convincing replica is an open question, any old blanket will probably not due the job.

polarice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Norachan Norachan That is very interesting (discouraging but interesting!) that he sprayed even the diffuser, I'm wondering if other cats were living in the house at the time or the scent of other cats lingered in the house? Also did he spend any time outside?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
intact cats hump other cats to satisfy themselves sexually, are you saying this is not the case?
No, this is not the case. Intact male cats mate with intact female cats due to the urge to mate. It's unreasonable to expect an intact tom cat to attempt to mate with a soft toy. Male cats are attracted to female cats because of their smell while they are in heat and because of the yowling sound they make. How would you reproduce that? Soaking a plushie in female cat pee isn't going to work.
I'm wondering if other cats were living in the house at the time or the scent of other cats lingered in the house? Also did he spend any time outside?
Yes, he lives with his brothers and sisters, as he always has done. And yes, my cats have access to a 1,000 square meter cat enclosure. He didn't spray at all until he was 6 months old, he sprayed a huge amount until he was neutered. This behavior gradually reduced after he was neutered, but it took a long time. Now he is 11 years old and still sprays occasionally, but no where near as much as he used to

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
(first post so I hope this is in the right section)

I'm looking into getting a cat but would prefer not to spay or neuter them for fear of changing their personality (aggression, spontaneity, hunting behavior, general independence etc) / inflicting trauma from mutilation (I'd also consider non hormone producing fake testicles after neutering if this is feasible/affordable). As I understand it intact female cats face a greater risk of cancer compared to intact male cats so I'm leaning towards a male for this reason. I do understand though that leaving a cat intact will lead to dissatisfaction and general frustration when they have the urge to mate and so I'm thinking this could be mitigated with a designated "hump toy" as a replacement for a partner (also something that is really only feasible for a male cat). So far I've only seen examples online of this for dogs (I guess bc they are more notorious for humping) but don't see why it couldn't work for a cat.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a male cat getting consistent relief from a designated (by the human or the cat) toy for this purpose and what attributes the toy has, for example maybe a stuffed animal that smells like a female cat? I'm open to any experiences or ideas, thanks for reading 😸
You’re setting yourself and your cat up for a miserable (and in the case of your cat, shortened) life. The drive to breed is very powerful in a cat. An intact male will go to great lengths to get out and find a lady cat. Yes, neutering will change the personality of a cat. For the better. Intact males make for poor companions. They resent being kept indoors and when let outside, they will only add to the burgeoning numbers of stray and feral cats, a crisis that’s out of control.

I have first hand experience with intact cats, male and female as pets. It’s frustrating for humans and cruel to the cats. Cat spray is impossible to clean up completely. It destroys what it comes in contact with and the smell will just keep getting worse.

If you love your cat and want to be a good cat parent, get it fixed.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats for over 50 years now, both uneutered and neutered. If you could observe the life of unneutered cats you would change your mind. They are so frustrated they will do anything to get out of the house. They spray everything in sight and it stinks horribly. They get aggressive and will even attack their owners to get out an open door. Of the over 20-30 males I have had neutered, when they come back from the vet, their personalities are not changed in any way except to lay around more the first day In fact they stop spraying, get much more calm and lovey. If they are active and people oriented before the surgery, they will be afterwards too. Females are much more affected. The males don't even notice. I did not use collars or pain meds. They ALL came through fine.
I used to cry seeing the life of toms outside (and they WILL get out) Lost eyes and ears, horrific gaping wounds and abscesses from fighting, the suffering these poor boys go through is unimaginable. you are not letting a boy live a 'natural' life, a tom cats life is absolutely miserable from frustration and wounds. And there were NONE that didn't experience this. You are dooming him to a life of hell......

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't think of mating the same way humans think of sex. They don't understand what they are doing. They just HAVE TO do it. Their hormones and their mating instinct MAKE them do it. That's how species survive; by procreating.

Humans have the same instincts to procreate but cats don't have the emotional component that humans do. We feel love for other humans. Cats don't. Well, to be honest, nobody knows what emotions cats do or don't have but we can be pretty certain that they aren't like human emotion. Even if cats can love, it's not the same emotions that humans feel.

If you try to say that cats "need" to mate on an emotional level, that's wrong. To a cat, mating is just another biological function, no different than going to the litter box and taking a poop. For a cat, "it is what it is." Any attempt to assign emotion to a cat's behavior is just anthropomorphism... giving human emotion to something that's not human.

There is nothing wrong with anthropomorphism if it's done in fun. Stories like "Peter Rabbit" wouldn't be the same if we didn't pretend that animals were like humans. It's just not right to assume that cats or other animals have the same emotions as humans. (or any emotions at all)

Dogs hump things for many reasons. They do it to satisfy their mating instinct but they also do it to assert dominance. Cats don't have that same instinct to dominate others like dogs do. The idea of giving a cat some kind of toy in order to act out their emotions with is little more than indulging in fantasy.

If you don't want to neuter your cat, that's fine. The last time I checked, we still live in a free country. You have the right to do as you see fit or not do if you don't see fit. I'm perfectly okay whichever way you want to go. However, your cat is likely to display many undesirable behaviors if you don't.

It's not logical to say, on one hand, "I don't want to neuter my cat," but, on the other hand, say, "I don't want bad behavior." You can't have your cake and eat it, too. You've got to choose one or the other, not both.

If people don't neuter their cats they will, most likely, spray. One of the main reasons why cats get abandoned and left outdoors is because of bad behaviors like spraying. I believe that's wrong! IMO, you can either neuter your cat, you can put up with spraying, otherwise, you shouldn't have a cat.

Humans have domesticated animals for their own purposes. Domesticated animals become dependent on humans for their care and upkeep. It is wrong to make an animal dependent on you then neglect its care and, ultimately, reject the animal when it doesn't behave the way you expect, despite not caring for it. Spaying or neutering is one of the ways humans take care of their pets.

The way I see it, you have three choices:

1) Neuter the cat.
2) Put up with its behavior if you don't neuter.
3) Don't get a cat.

It's that simple.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW: When we took in our youngest cat, Elliot, from outdoors (either abandoned or ran away from a bad home) he was intact. He lived under our back porch and would come up at night to be fed. During that time, he sprayed all over our back porch and even on the screen door. We brought him into the house, immediately took him to the vet, got him all his shots and had him neutered. Once Elliot was neutered, the spraying stopped, dead-cold!

He peed inside the house one time after we brought him home from the vet but we think it was just because he was groggy from the anesthesia.

We've had Elliot for almost a year, now. He has not peed or pooped outside his litter box ever since. Not even one time!

Oh! And another thing! Elliot is a brown, striped tabby. There are about a half-dozen striped tabbies living in our neighborhood. Some of them have homes but a few of them do not.

We know that the tabby pattern is dominant. It only takes one parent with the tabby gene to make tabby offspring. That makes it quite probable that our cat, Elliot, and the other tabbies in our neighborhood all have the same father. He could even be the father of one or more of those cats.

Regardless of whether or not Elliot is the father, it is plain to see that there is some cat, roaming our neighborhood, spreading the tabby gene.

At least, we can be certain that there won't be any more homeless tabby cats in our back yard because of Elliot.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elliot peed in the house the day we brought him home from the vet. As I said, he was groggy from anesthesia and didn't know where the litter box was, yet. Can't really blame the poor kitty, can you? Anyhow, he was about a year old when we brought him in and he was fully "developed," if you know what I mean.

We brought Elliot home from the vet, put him in his Safe Room, shut the door and left for work. We figured the quiet time would do him good. He peed in a pile of blankets while we were at work. Boy, oh boy! Did it stink! OMFG!!! I opened the front door and the smell hit me like a brick wall! The whole house smelled like cat P!$$. It smelled so bad I thought I was going to puke! I actually felt nauseous! It took almost a week to air out the house, afterward!

I was about THIS FAR from putting him back outside! The only reason I didn't was his first day inside and I didn't think it was fair to put him out. Besides, I spent almost $300 to neuter him, to treat his injuries, have him de-fleaed, give him all his shots and put in a microchip.

Since we got Elliot neutered he has become the most loving, lap cat you'd ever want to meet! He's a full-fledged member of our family, now! :)

Last edited: