Humping kitty

jammasterjei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not trying to be rude in any way, or stand-offish towards the fact of being humped by my cat (or in any way feeling weird), but it this normal? I've always thought it was a dog thing, but our cat has tried to hump me 3 times now? Can anyone provide me with any info on this??? Is it normal?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My daughter's kitten did this to a fluffy cushon, when she had him nutered the cushion was heart-broken!!

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Napoleon is neutered and he *humps* stuffed animals. I have no idea when he was neutered, since he was neutered when I got him...but when I asked my vet if getting neutered later in years would cause something like that. She said, no, her cat was neutered at six months and he still does it LOL. I think it's more of a dominance issue. He will try to dominate the stuffed animals by calling it his own. Sometimes he makes biscuits on these stuffed animals as well. Are you sure your cat is not "making biscuits" as well, he just gets very animated? (sometimes it's hard to tell for me too)

So if he's not neutered, definitely get him neutered. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, humping is a normal thing for kitties to do!

Even if they have been neutered, thay may still hump - this tends to come from an experience before they were neutered, so they have remembered it! Tibby and my woolen cardigans make sweet lovin' on a regular basis!

If your kitty isn't neutered, please do get him done!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm just reading a book by a cat psychiatrist and got the section on innapropriate humping!

if your cats already neutered, is he bored? the client in the books cat kept humping her because he was so bored during the day (indoor cat, left alone, very little toys or stimulation) that his only joy came from his owning coming home! he started humping her arms because he wanted interaction with her, attention and because well, it felt quite good!

how old is your cat?

altzarina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by blue_monday_88

Are you sure your cat is not "making biscuits" as well, he just gets very animated? (sometimes it's hard to tell for me too).
....excuse my ignorance, but wht does making biscuits mean?

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's when their paws move up and down - looks like they're kneeding bread or making biscuits! My two do this when the snuggle down and get comfy

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my male was younger (and neutered around 5 months) he would hump one particular stuffed animal. Then he would try to tear it to shreds. Now hes an old man and dosen't care for those antics anymore.

I think he had a thing for white though. You ever wonder how cats are attracted to each other. I always though hormones would take over but he was white and he was VERY attracted to white things.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NAcho is going through this right now too

Mostly when I go to bed, he jumps on the bed with me, and stats sucking on my fuzzy blanket.. then after awhile, all he does is bite it and hold it.. then he proceeds to hump the blanket. After he's finished, He lays down beside me and goes to sleep.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jammasterjei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think he's neutered, no, and we have 2 other cats. Tiger (Mr. Humpy), Smokey (Mr. Minx) and Honey (feisty ginger). Honey and Tiger get along quite well, but they both have a slight disliking for Smokey.

I live in New Zealand (and am from there/here). Tiger came from England with my partner, so he's getting quite old now - maybe 8-14yrs old. He sleeps on my bed next to me whenever I am here, it's not likely for him to be in our room when I'm not. I can't say he would be bored, he does what he wants when he wants and he is quite well fed.

But thank you all for placing comments. Good to know it's not unusual :-D

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well are you going to get him neutered? If you don't he will start to spray all over your home and it will smell horrible. Plus you can't let him outside unless he is because he will get all the females pregnant and get into fights with other males.

Neutering him will probably stop or cut back on this behavior.

mathew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have been having this problem as well for the past month or so. But it is more than just the occational "kitty lovin" that we get.. He will do it even during the day if he is laying next to us on the couch or a chair. There does not appear to be anything that sets him off (we can not be touching him at all and he will just latch on). Now if it were an occational thing I wouldnt be TOO worried about it (even though being violated by your cat is kind of disturbing hehe) but we are actually losing sleep over it! He will spend most of the night humping our legs and if we try to kick him off he just gets angry and latches on harder. I even booted him off the bed once to have him just jump right back up and
again!! And if he isnt doing that he is usually trying to get one of the babies toys or whatever else he can find to make lots of noise. It is getting to the point where we are having to lock him in one of the other rooms during the night just to get some sleep. Of course we dont really want to do that because he gets pretty cold in the other room all by himself.

Any ideas WHY our cat would be doing this and ideas of how to get him to stop?? Yes he is neutered.

missdawn41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been having the exact same problem! My "Tank" is a neutered 2 year old male. He just started doing his "humping" about a month ago.
Hmmmm I wondered what he was doin, kneeding maybe, but with his hind legs too, nope, sure enough, humping, EeeeUuuuuu!!!!! LOL!
It was odd and funny at 1st but now its a daily thing, he even wakes us up in the night doing his business to feet or legs, if I push him away he grabs hold with his front legs, I have to peel him off.
Why does he do this if he's nuetered?
Will it stop?
Anthing I can do?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey another kiwi here - I was in Hamilton not too long ago for the Rocky Horror Show - I fell in love with that place and I am so jealous that you live there!

Welcome to TCS anyway!
Hope to see you stay here - we could do with a few more kiwis

missdawn41

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mathew

My wife and I have been having this problem as well for the past month or so. But it is more than just the occational "kitty lovin" that we get.. He will do it even during the day if he is laying next to us on the couch or a chair. There does not appear to be anything that sets him off (we can not be touching him at all and he will just latch on). Now if it were an occational thing I wouldnt be TOO worried about it (even though being violated by your cat is kind of disturbing hehe) but we are actually losing sleep over it! He will spend most of the night humping our legs and if we try to kick him off he just gets angry and latches on harder. I even booted him off the bed once to have him just jump right back up and
again!! And if he isnt doing that he is usually trying to get one of the babies toys or whatever else he can find to make lots of noise. It is getting to the point where we are having to lock him in one of the other rooms during the night just to get some sleep. Of course we dont really want to do that because he gets pretty cold in the other room all by himself.

Any ideas WHY our cat would be doing this and ideas of how to get him to stop?? Yes he is neutered.
I found this....
http://www.vetinfo.com/cmale.html#Masturbation

mathew

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I dont think it is that exactly because his "little friend" doesnt make an appearence. He just goes through the motions.. Could that be the same though?