Humidifiers

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone use humidifiers? What do you use?

Cooking has been sneezing a bit more since winter started and ive been thinking of getting a humidifier for the both of us.

Ive been looking at the dyson pure... does anyone have it? It costs over 600 dollars here and i wouldnt want to spend that kind of money on something that doesnt work very well.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dad had respiratory problems and the nurses strongly suggested a humidifier. It worked very well and was bought for under $40 I think. I have a barometer with a humidity gauge also that would show that the air would indeed become more humid when the appliance was running. I remember having to make sure it was very clean, but I think all humidifiers need this diligence in cleaning. It sounds like maybe the dyson one you are thinking of has an air purifier? I don't know much about them but I am thinking you may want to start with a basic, inexpensive model first and you will see it helps.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see the Dyson Humidifiers and go :running:. In fact my chin dropped before I even pulled them up on the price searches. I've been Internet Windows shopping now for three days and every humidifier I think is decent for what I want, there are like 10 - 16% of the reviewers say its junk (ruined my laminate floor, soaked my babies bedroom etc) I'm at 17% RH and I can't even touch my cats because of the static shocks. I'm about to paint them all black and call them electric eels.

This is probably a lottery getting a new one. I just couldn't see getting a Dyson. Why are their products always half a grand or more? (because it's a DYSON!:noway: ) To better my odds from getting a dud, I think I'm going to shop local retail and only buy if they offer a replacement warranty for say two winters. That way if it leaks or dies after three months (best return limitations) I can get a different one or my money back.

Beware of the "ultrasonic" humidifiers and their "white dust." From my reading and such, there appears to not be a way around this side effect unless you use deionized or demineralized water. It is the minerals and salts in the water that appear as white dust everywhere after the moisture evaporates. That's my understanding. I"m desperate in need of humidity as my hands and fingertips are cracking to the point they're about to bleed.

I would prefer a "warm mist" type that doesn't have a history or reports of leaking (time you notice it, the damage is done). I fancy the sophisticated digital controls such as the humidistat that read and control the humidity level, auto timers and shutoffs, visible or light indicator water level and such. Mostly, something that'll dump lots of moisture into this dry desert-like interior. :please::help:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're worried about leakage, set the machine in a plant saucer or aluminum pan. that way everything is protected.

I bought an inexpensive humidifier at Walmart last night for $25. If it doesn't work, I can take it back. If I have problems, Walmart is really good about taking defective merchandise back, and they have a long return period, too.

Our humidity outside is 88% right now, but indoors, it's 24%. I assume it's because the heat has been running a lot. My husband and I both have been waking up with sore throats, bone-dry mouths, dry eyes, and cracked lips. We won't talk about the lizard skin.

We haven't set the machine up yet because we're still trying to figure out where to put it so the furkids won't knock it over. Th'll be very unhappy if we put it next to their drinking glass in the bedroom.

I'll try to give you a report when we get it set up. Let me know what you choose, too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Crane Teardrop humidifier that was around $40 I think.
I don't use it constantly but it seems to work well. My "backup" one is from Walmart and leaks occasionally; which is why i got the Crane. I used to put it on a wooden step stool that I'd put in an old metal baking sheet in my kid's bedrooms. I was afraid to risk it on the real furniture. Most are cool mist these days because of the burn risk. Since small kids can't have cold meds anymore; I used it a lot when they were smaller.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got whichever one Costco had on sale, lol. Let me find it. . .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075W2SSBZ/?tag=&tag=thecatsite
Seems nice so far. Only has a 3-star review though :/. I like the warm and cool mist feature.

My hands get cracked and dry too. The thing that makes the biggest difference is remembering to take fish oil or cod liver oil. The humidifier helps with static shock but only the fish oil helps with my cracked hands.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also have the Crane Teardrop humidifier. I've had it for 2 years now - it works really well and keeps me from waking up feeling like my throat is a desert. Helps with static and dry skin too. I've never had a Dyson, but if a $30 humidifier works decently well, I don't think I'll bother with anything else.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I first brought a $25.00 humidifier at WalMart named Pro Care. I was not all that impressed with it but it was cheap and easy to use. I've gone through a few of them. I brought one last year and when I set it up when I turned the heat on it would not work. I threw it away and was going to buy another one but they were out of stock and I could not find one on the Internet. I'm not sure what to do now. My throat is so sore I can hardly stand it. I could buy a more expensive one but I'm afraid it will be to difficult to use and keep clean.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dyson seems to have only one humidifier for about the cost of a game console :eek3:. Their website for it is quite the enticing seller. I have to admit...they almost sold me on it. I now get why it cost so much. If you didn't need water, you could probably use it to navigate your way to the moon with all the cutting edge technology it has.

Mother Dragon Mother Dragon - That I am...concerned about leaks. I have owned a couple or three in my life where this wasn't even a thought. Considering a need one for a large room, so it has to have a relatively moderate size water reservoir. The thought did cross my mind that I would need a spill container of sorts to adequately accommodate a major leak should it happen. The huge console model I used back in the day (2-3 gals of water)...the thought of such gave me a scare, thinking if one of my cats manage to get inside it and...you get the picture. Need help getting it setup??? Imma a tech tinkerer - since 10 years or so of age. :bliss:Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Soon I hope? I gotta decide and get something by this weekend for the living room. I have an old bedroom model from a few years ago, that I tore apart about two winters ago to replace the filter wick. Since it'll be used in a small cozy bedroom...it'll do for now if I can find the pieces and the new filter wick.

W Willowy - I like the idea of the warm mist. Why can't they make a man-size cozy cat bed. Add the warm mister and the man-size cat bed would be a huge winner. Which is better the cod liver oil or the fish oil? Are they the same or different? I'm sure I had a bottle of the latter around here. I think its expired and fallen behind something. Ahh nearly a full 100 liquid soft gels...exp Oct 2015. :jawdrop:. Easy fix. So you take by mouth yes? One year I got liquid vitamin E and mixed it with 100% Aloe Vera to use as a hand lotion. Probably gave some comfort (moist but a little sticky), but seeing as I still have the original mixture, it wasn't a cure-all. Think I'll apply a little before bedtime, for if I use it now typing here or ohhh...wait!!!! :shocked: Noohhh. Cats are allergic to Aloe Vera! Taking it to use at work only.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which is better the cod liver oil or the fish oil? Are they the same or different?
Cod liver oil has vitamins A and D, fish oil doesn't. But I need all the vitamin D I can get up here in the frozen North :D. And I don't think it's enough vitamin A to be problematic. So I tend to go for cod liver oil. But they both have the Omega 3 fats which is what really helps the skin.

Yeah, I take it orally. I think the odor wouldn't be so great for topical use, lol. The best thing I've used topically is Crisco mixed with a little sugar, rub that in then put gloves on before bed. But, ugh, it's so greasy and I hate wearing gloves so I only do that if my hands are really bad.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I first brought a $25.00 humidifier at WalMart named Pro Care. I was not all that impressed with it but it was cheap and easy to use. I've gone through a few of them. I brought one last year and when I set it up when I turned the heat on it would not work. I threw it away and was going to buy another one but they were out of stock and I could not find one on the Internet. I'm not sure what to do now. My throat is so sore I can hardly stand it. I could buy a more expensive one but I'm afraid it will be to difficult to use and keep clean.
Sorry to hear about your sore throat. Please take care of it, so it doesn't develop into something requiring a doctor's visit and antibiotics. Even the slightest fever, you should see your family physician promptly.

Perhaps we will iron out the best humidifier choices in this discussion.

FYI: Somewhere among the amazon or other site reviews, someone stated that cats are allergic to some essential oils (many companies promote oil diffuser humidifiers). Read that reviewer's tidbit after I purchased a sample bottle of "flower essences" from Amazon for my cats. It arrived with a different labeling and says it is also safe for pets. Now I have to vet the ingredients or toss it out.

Essential Oil and Liquid Potpourri Poisoning in Cats

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got whichever one Costco had on sale, lol. Let me find it. . .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075W2SSBZ/?tag=&tag=thecatsite
Seems nice so far. Only has a 3-star review though :/. I like the warm and cool mist feature.

My hands get cracked and dry too. The thing that makes the biggest difference is remembering to take fish oil or cod liver oil. The humidifier helps with static shock but only the fish oil helps with my cracked hands.
That sounds good. I wonder if the ultrasonics will bother the cats, though. Just because we can't her it doesn't mean they can't.

Our rooms are quite large - the bedroom is 13' x 21'. The breakfast area (12 x'12'), which is open to the kitchen (12' x 17')and den (18' x 25') will need a pretty big one. So will the bedroom. Those ae the two main areas.

Let me know how you and your furkids like it. We have a Costco quite close.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any reports on whether there are any ultrasonic sounds being emitted that bother cats? From what I've read this far, this seems very unlikely. So what say you, before I unbox one or maybe two ultrasonic humidifiers?