Human rabies shots

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

? do you know if the cat had rabies shots - or did I miss that in the posts?

When I was about 9, that was about 50+ years ago, a dog chewed up my face pretty good - really mostly just my mouth, missed my eye with a little "scratch", along with a gash from mid cheek to my mouth.

Of course, I, at the age of 9, began the series of rabie shots, along with all kinds of shots to my face to sew up the cuts. Today, the idea of getting a shot doesn't faze me.

I had most of my rabie shots in my hip - learned how to relax so I wouldn't be as sore. One shot was more memorable than the others, and it was given by another doctor when we went to visit my aunt - you see, you have to stay on schedule. That shot was given into my stomach, just under my breast bone ... wow, now that was a little scary!

I don't believe I had to complete the series, because the dog was all right after ? 2 weeks? I often wonder if I'm now immune to rabies?

Tell your aunt, just to go ahead, it's a lot better than the stress she'd have of the "waiting" to see if she gets the deadly disease.
g
I've had rabies shots. My Dr. said I'd be immune up to 50 years, but may need a booster shot (I suppose he meant, "When exposed to rabies again."; not sure).

I was lucky--mine were adminstered in alternating arms, and it's the weirdest feeling, like someone punching you as hard as possible, as soon as the vaccine went in! And the vaccine is the prettiest shade of violet; I have iced tea glasses that exact shade! :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My aunt started her shots last night a total of 5. She was very ill last night but feels better this morning. Please keep her in your prayers!

One shot in each hip and one in her upper arm. The other two shots were in the location of the bite wounds.

She has 4 more to go over the next 27 days.

Thanks for all the opinions and advise!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing!!!! She's had a very traumatic week

Originally Posted by snosrap5

My aunt went to see the cat owners yesterday to ask again about vaccines. The husband said that they had been mistaken the cat had never been to a vet let alone had any rabies shots given.

She is now at the ER getting her first 3 shots today.
Grrrr how could he be mistaken and not have realised the cat had never been to the vet
Sounds like he was trying to cover his butt, but realised once he had to provide evidence he was in trouble!

Sending good thoughts to your aunt!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

My aunt started her shots last night a total of 5. She was very ill last night but feels better this morning. Please keep her in your prayers!

One shot in each hip and one in her upper arm. The other two shots were in the location of the bite wounds.

She has 4 more to go over the next 27 days.

Thanks for all the opinions and advise!
Absolutely will/did pray for her recovery - both physically and emotionally - really, she is a hero. I especially care about her emotional state - as I too attempted to save a cat from 2 dogs and was unsuccessful - I still cry in my heart for the loss. Even tho' I didn't sustain any physical wounds, certainly, the emotional scars are still very real - and, it was over 20 years ago, and I didn't know the cat, or who he belonged to ... very sad.

I hope she is doing MUCH better today, thanks for sharing.

g

orangekittyluvr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did she make out with shots? I'm a mess bc I had rabies shots and a booster almost 2 yrs ago and had a panic/scare and went for a booster this aug. got 1 shot and before getting the last one found out no rabies so no need to continue with the final shot. I'm scared bc I didn't need it could I get rabies from the shot I hope it was manufactured correctly its really scaring me. Awful experience

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How did she make out with shots? I'm a mess bc I had rabies shots and a booster almost 2 yrs ago and had a panic/scare and went for a booster this aug. got 1 shot and before getting the last one found out no rabies so no need to continue with the final shot. I'm scared bc I didn't need it could I get rabies from the shot I hope it was manufactured correctly its really scaring me. Awful experience
Please be aware that this thread was started in 2007. The member has not posted on this site since 2010. Therefore this question will probably not be answered.