Human Behavior with Cats - Jealous of my room mate?

musickitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My room mate is infamous among people at school for stealing cat's love. She can go into any house with any cat, and that cat will love her more than anyone else in the room. But for her friends, she leaves their house at the end of the night and their cat goes back to them. 

However, Margo and I live with her.

I don't want Margo to become more attached and connected to my room mate than she is to me. My room mate graduates and leaves in 3 months, but I plan on being Margo's guardian for the rest of her life.  Are there things I can do to ensure that Margo prefers me? I'm already the only one who feeds Margo. 

Is it wrong to be mad and jealous when I find Margo cuddling with my room mate? Margo is sleeping with her now... I just want my room mate to close her door tight every night so that Margo can stay with me. I can't tell exactly how much time Margo spends in my room at night, but because I tend to move a lot when I sleep, Margo leaves... 

I don't know what to do and I hate resenting my room mate, but Margo is MY cat. I adopted her, I pay for her, I feed her, clean up after her, and have accepted the lifetime guardianship role, whereas Tass (room mate) seems to only be concerned with getting Margo to prefer her. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like maybe you are being sucked into a situation you don't need.

First of all, there is no such thing as too much love, with people or cats.  If Tass loves on Margo, Margo will benefit, period.  If anything, having two people there will help Margo develop into a friendlier and more outgoing cat.

And when Tass leaves, guess what?  You will still be there, Margo's loyal servant.

So instead of looking on the dark side, use Tass's amazing ability to your benefit.  Introducing jealousy and anger into this situation will only confuse your cat.  She may not know what's happening but she will sense the atmosphere and that is not good for her - or you!

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you should talk with your room mate. 

tell her that you  want your cat to sleep with only you at night, so she should respect that.

@Ondine  is right, your kitty has lots of love all around her, but if you feel uncomfortable or jealous, then you should be honest with your room mate and set some boundaries.

aside from food, you can play with margo with her favorite toys and give her treats. cats are independent, you cant really stop margo from going any where, and its clear she's very loved by you and your room mate. the question here is not whats best for kitty, its what's best for your sanity. 

i have a crazy room mate situation too. and she's a little weird because she likes to lie to other people and tell them my cats are hers..she's a whackjob.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Ondine. Especially since your roommate is leaving in 3 months, I wouldn't worry about it.