Human Abuse By Our Beloved Cat

erika100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
10 months ago a stray cat who we fed from time to time delivered kittens in our apartment. We managed to find a home for 2 of them and the last one always had weird behavior issues (play aggression, nervousness and a huge amount of energy) we knew he won't be able to find a stable home, so decided to keep him. We live in a very small apartment and he grew up to be a large tomcat. We managed to put play aggression under control by buying lots of toys, a huge cat house and playing with him a couple of times a day. Also, he is trained to go for a walk and accepts walking on a leash. Generally, we truly love him, and even though we still had some problems with his unprovoked attacks from time to time, he was calmer and those attacks were rare.
BUT
His toys are interesting for a day or two and then he gets bored. And he still constantly requires play. At the same time, nothing is interesting enough to keep his attention. We bought every possible version of bird catcher, with feathers and mice. Even laser is not interesting. There is a full bag of toys he won't even look at. We tried making our own toys, even bought him a phishing flies and bates. Those lasted for maybe a week.
Our apartment size IS an issue because it's just too freaking small for any animal. We would be happy to buy a bigger place if we could financially cover it, but at this moment it's impossible. In the last three months, he started pooping outside his litter box. We switched litters, switched box, bought a bigger version and still sometimes he'll use it but mostly he prefers bathroom floor. The only time he uses litter to poop is if me or my husband stand and watch him do it because he won't poop on the floor when we are in the bathroom.
He is intelligent far more than he should be for his own good. He learned how to open every doorknob and in the last seven days he will open our bedroom door every night at 5 or 6 am and come to jump and play, or bite depending his mood. This is unbearable. We tried going early to bed and waking up at 6. But then he'll wake us up at 4-5. We didn't have a sleep longer than 4-5 hours in a long time.
We would readopt him, but nobody would take such a demanding and problematic cat. I live in a small country where people don't treat animals as much and I sincerely fear that someone would abuse him or abandon him if I gave him away. At the same time, I can't go on without sleep and without so much of his issues. He would be best in a big house with a yard and people who know how to deal with a cat but that is just a daydream. I know chances to find something like that for him are almost none existent.
Any advice would be so much appreciated.
Thank you for reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erika100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention, he is spayed and we went to the vet to check him out. Physically, there's nothing wrong with him.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, if he's 10 months he's still a kitten, probably in the "teen" phase. This behaviour is very common, probably mandatory, in cats that age. My cat was a 2 month old feral when I found her and her teen phase was very, very hard. Here's what I learned.
1. Be firm and consistent with commands. If waking is a problem. Do not reward the behaviour with play or positive responses. I had a similar problem I use phrase "too early". And if it's more that can hour before wake up time I respond angrily to let her know it's not ok.
2. Expect the worst and forgive bad behaviour. My cat was my first and I had no idea how rough the teen phase can be. Feral cats are more full on. My girl has a naughty spot ontop of her cat tree, she stay there until I think she's calmed.
3. Make play as active as possible. Throw and bounce toys for him to chase and trap. I buy a lot of balls and hard/soft mice. Cary the way you play. I use my hands as toys because her play requirements are so high. A hand moving under a blanket or a towel or a pile of clothes makes my cat go mental.
4. Be patient. It takes time to work each other out. Learn pain thresholds and to communicate. Every cat/human language is unique so remember your not learning each other's language, you're creating a new one.
5. Do some reading in cat communication. Nose touches, asking permission and tail language and implement it.

Lastly the teen phase is hard. Be patient, forgiving and remember.....it passes. It's not how you're cat will be forever but how you handle this phase may mould it. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erika100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for answering and reading. He is my first cat and I tried reading as much as I can and also watched every episode of Jackson Galaxy's TV show. That helped in some situations.

When it comes to playing. We have all kinds of balls, mice, feather toys on a wand, robotic toys, toys that hang, toys that move. It's quite a collection and I already did a thorough research on that topic. It's all interesting for a day or two and then zero interest. The only kind of play he truly likes is hide and seek and a cat version of "tag" but recently he would get too rough and he would bite my ankle or hand so I avoid that kind of games. I won't even try with playing with my hands as it would also reinforce his play aggression. He is a big and strong cat and when he attacks it's really just trying to get without serious damage. So I avoid any kind of games that involve my hands or feet.

The biggest problem is this waking up thing. We have a one-room apartment, which means my bedroom is also my living room and my kitchen. Besides that, we have a small bathroom and a small hallway. I don't have any solution on how to restrain him from waking us up. He has bathroom and hallway for himself and when he gets bored he starts meowing and then just opens our door to let himself in. Even putting him in the bathroom and closing the door won't help because he can open the door! I have no control over this. I would change the door but I'm renting this place so I can't take off someone else's door.
To be honest, I would never in my right mind voluntarily take a cat, considering my living conditions. We tried to find him a different home when he was a kitten, but no one wanted him. He stayed with us because it was either we try to make it work or he ends up on the street.
Now I just feel I'm left without any reasonable solution on how to keep him and remain sane at the same time. :(