Huge pregnant cat--any help???

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yes I read the link and it helped out a lot

Well ive been frequently checking on her down in the basement and shes acting normal! But i will DEF. post when the kittens are born or shes in the process.....

Thanks u guys for all your help!!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly, the mortality rate in kittens is high, although most cats instinctively know what to do, things can and do go wrong.

If mom has two kittens close together, one kitten might get ignored. If mom is tired, she may not want to finish the job. A kitten only has minutes after it is born to be cleaned from it's sac. If mom is busy with another kitten, she might miss one; hence, it is helpful if you are there to clean it up with a soft cloth.

You have a lot more time before the cord needs cut, but sometimes intervention is needed here too. My last foster who was several years old so we assume she was not a first time mom, got tired after her last kitten was born and just left him. I had to cut his cord. Be sure to use clean scissors - wipe them down with alcohol ahead of time and be sure to let them air dry before using. Then tie the cord (with thread or dental floss) an inch or two (better further away than closer) away from the kittens belly and cut. The cord serves as an infection barrier to the kitten. If there is any bacteria present, the longer the cord, the less chance of it getting to the kitten.

I've also had experience with a foster whose kitten was not breathing when born, I put him in my hands, belly side down, face toward my fingertips, and shook him briskly but gently in a pendulum fashion. This cleared the fluid from his lungs and he grew to be adopted!

Anyway, if you do plan to be there, and basement is better than outside obviously, then there is plenty you can do if she'll allow you. There is a wealth of info on this site alone. I've fostered a lot of strays and you'll be surprised, a lot of times they seem to actually want the support. And then there are others who prefer to be alone and will try to hide or escape.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the kittens have never lived outside, please do not just put them outside. They will have no survival skills & die rapidly. Momma cat, do not let her out until spayed. Perhaps check with local shelters, etc to see if you can't find a low-cost clinic?

As for kittens, if she's had 2 litters already, she probably knows what to do. Try not to get too nervous yourself, as she'll probably pick up on that. Expect her to possibly be protective of the kittens, from what I've seen in outdoor cats brought inside to have litters they can sometimes become "testy" about anyone touching their babies.

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks for all the good advice everybody!
The kittens didnt come last night....but im so excited for them to come

White cat lover, I dunno I think she'll be fine......She had her first litter in my neighbor's garage and we always went and held them ever since they were babies....and ofcourse her 2nd litter didnt make it

So im just waitin for her to give birth now i guess! Shes been acting kindof wierd...not as social today and shes a REALLY social nice kitty.

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? US or Canada? If you tell me your city, I can do some google-ing for you to locate no kill shelters in your area.

I agree that the kittens should go to a shelter, but depending on momma's age and considering she's always been a feral cat, she might be better off going back outside (ONLY after she's spayed.) That being said, if she's friendly and adapts well to humans she could be perfectly fine being put up for adoption and placed into a home aswell.

Good luck with the kittens!

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks

Yeah I live in the US....do u live in Canada or somethin??

Well actually she was only a feral when she was a kitten.....Shes been outside pretty much all her life..she just showed up on our porch 1 day when she was a kitten. She was a feral then but I was the one that made her friendly
Lol now shes not feral AT ALL! Shes lovin and nice--loves people....she even jumps on ur lap when shes pregnant its crazy!

So I think the shelter and a nice new home would be a GREAT place for her

Thanks you guys!!

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Clueless

Thanks

Yeah I live in the US....do u live in Canada or somethin??

Well actually she was only a feral when she was a kitten.....Shes been outside pretty much all her life..she just showed up on our porch 1 day when she was a kitten. She was a feral then but I was the one that made her friendly
Lol now shes not feral AT ALL! Shes lovin and nice--loves people....she even jumps on ur lap when shes pregnant its crazy!

So I think the shelter and a nice new home would be a GREAT place for her

Thanks you guys!!
I usually reside in Canada, although for the past 8 months (and probably the next 8 months) I have been travelling in South America.

If the kitty is friendly and likes people it should be fine being placed in a home.. maybe even one that allows indoor/outdoor.

If you don't have the cash to neuter all the kitties, the shelter can likely do that for you (or the new owners will.) Like everyone else mentioned, it's very important the momma get spayed, if for any other reason than it's not healthy to have that many litters!

Which city in the US do you live in?

clueless

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay ill definetely try to get them all spayed or something....

Ummm I live in Ohio....in a really small town called st. paris
Where do u live in the US?

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Er, I don't live in the US.. I'm from Canada but am in South America for awhile.

Here's a big list of shelters in Ohio

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/F...hshelters.html

Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

if you go to the link i gave, you can fill out a form & they'll email you w/info on low-cost clinics near you...