Huffing Noise?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Last night, Casper was in our kitchen, when he crouched down, and began making a "huffing" noise that I had never heard from him before. This went on for about a minute or so, on and off.  I thought at first he might be bringing up a hairball, but it did not sound anything like the noise he makes when this happens typically.

He didn't seem to be in distress, and right after the incident, was perfectly fine and his usual self.  

Right before, in fact, he had a very untypical play session where he was much more energetic than usual.  

He has been to the vet in recent months (early March) for his annual, and he was dewormed as a precaution (he's indoor only).  He got a complete good bill of health, and we were told for his age (12) he's doing really well overall.  

We've noticed nothing out of the ordinary at all.  

Can hairballs cause this type of reaction?  It's not something I've encountered before.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds exactly like the noise my cat makes when she's working on a hairball. For her, a hairball arrives within 12-24 hours of the start of that noise. I would say wait for a day if no other symptoms. If a hairball doesn't materialize, then you should start looking for other causes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks very much.  I'll mention this to my partner since he's currently home.  He does have issues with them now and then, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was the cause.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right before, in fact, he had a very untypical play session where he was much more energetic than usual.
This (it happening after exertion) makes me think of asthma, which can be a similar cough or huff as bringing up a hairball.  I sympathize.  One of mine is doing this and I'm trying to figure out whether to take her in. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This (it happening after exertion) makes me think of asthma, which can be a similar cough or huff as bringing up a hairball.  I sympathize.  One of mine is doing this and I'm trying to figure out whether to take her in. 
I did think of this, which is why I mentioned his play session.  It would be a first time, and not sure what would suddenly trigger asthma after 12 years, but I guess anything can happen.  We'll keep a close eye on him for sure, which is easy since my BF is home to watch over him right now, when I'm not around.