Hubby's Annoyed; Am I Wrong? (kind of long)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marriage counselling is definitely something that should be considered.
I don't think that's going to happen. We've been married 34 years, and our spending & saving habits have always been totally opposite. This really is the only problem we have.

Maybe, have your daughter pick a place she'd like to go and you both can do that without it being about you or him?
DD has actually suggested different places---without success. I seriously think that if DH had his own dictionary the definition of "vacation" would be--"Florida, and only Florida, and there must be theme parks."
DD and I actually did talk DH into a 3 day trip to Chicago a couple of years ago. We went to the planetarium, the Shedd Aquarium, the Field Museum, and Navy Pier. I loved it; DH liked the Egyptian exhibit at the museum and was bored by everything else. *sigh*

Your spouse likes to go to Disney/Universal with his family, and you don't. As a former resident of Florida, I do respectfully suggest that there are lots of other fun things to do in Florida than go to big theme parks
My understanding of these vacations is--if you don't go to the theme parks what's the point of going? On all these vacations there has never been a trip to Sea World or Busch Gardens. It was only in the last few years that they even went to St. Augustine.

The bottom line is the amount of money that's wasted (IMO) on doing the same thing at the same place over and over. There's also the fact that I have motion sickness and rides are out of the question. I have arthritis in my back and knees and can't stand in line for 2 hours waiting to see something. These trips are always sceduled for July and August; hot, humid weather makes my asthma worse. For some reason DH thinks he has to go with his Mom---I really don't think I need to explan why that's a bad idea.
I refuse to leave our cats for 2 weeks and DH refuses to shorten the trip. Actually, his excuse for that is "Mom always goes for 2 weeks." Then there's the simple fact that I just don't like to travel.

I know this isn't an earth shattering problem, and we'll work something out like we always do, but I really felt the need to find out if I was being unreasonable. I sincerely appreciate all the input I've received. As hard as it's going to be, I'm going to stick to my guns this time. If there's no cash, there's no vacation.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

As hard as it's going to be, I'm going to stick to my guns this time. If there's no cash, there's no vacation.
i think that's the best plan.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

Granted, if you hate crowds, then Disney is not for you.
LOL, that's all I need to know about Disney World.
I did have a friend that lived in Orlando that told me if you went at around 4 PM in the Summer you could avoid most of the crowds though. He told me that the rain would move in at about the same time every day and the tourists would all head back to their hotels. That's when the locals would show up.

As for the OP, I think it's insane to be putting anything you really don't need on a high interest credit card right now. We could all be just a layoff away from financial hardship. It's one thing to put something essential on a credit card like food, a car repair, or dental work, but racking up a huge balance over a vacation or something else that's completely optional is just nuts. If you default on them it will haunt you for a long tie. It also sounds like there are a lot of ego issues going on there as well - he can't stand the idea his parents think he's not going because he can't afford it.

One thing I will say is that it sounds like he really only enjoys going to amusement parks and riding rides, so I think that definitely needs to be taken into account when planning vacations. Dragging him to NYC and visiting museums for a week wouldn't be much of a vacation to him, more like misery. That said, there are LOTS of amusement parks in the world besides Disney. Try and plan your vacations near one of them and visit the local attractions for a few days and then spend a few at the amusement park. He'll probably be bored stiff for the first few days, but then you will be too while at the park, and if you're lucky your daughter will enjoy it all. That way you both get some of what you want. Maybe do that every other year, or else for 1 week each year and let him do Disney for the other week.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not trying to be mean, but I'd personally cancel the credit card and open up a new one without him on it so that he HAS to come up with the money to go or else he can't go. The way it sounds now, he's just spending WAY to much and that's not fair. OR you could let him do the bills for a few months and he might finally see how much you actually spend..
Just a few ideas for you.