HRT? Does anybody use it?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Do you save your points up til the end of the year? I try to. 
No I don't intentionally save the points because I get coupons in the mail and the Sunday newspaper.  I never buy anything at Ulta without a coupon.
  One thing I like about them is that they are very good about returns or exchanges.  Do you mainly buy hair products or other items too?  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mainly hair stuff, although I do buy some nail products from time to time. (Nail polish is a guilty pleasure for me; I get some at Sally Beauty as well as Amazon.) The woman who does my hair went from having her own business to being a stylst at Ulta (she needed health insurance for her baby and it was too expensive on her own). She's really happy at Ulta and they're happy with her because she brought a ton of her clients with her. So I go now every month to have my roots colored. I keep the points from that as well as from my purchases. I think this year my points won't expire because I'll have enough to keep them going. I should check that out. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I buy nail polish there from time to time as well but also do a little shopping at Sephora.  Do you go there?  They have a rewards point system also.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a Sephora around here. I'd probably check it out if we did. We only have Ulta and Sally Beauty. They're in the same mall.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Had a hair appt last night and whatever happened to cause the shedding/thinning of my hair has stopped. She said it's starting to come back in a little bit around my temple. I had thought I would start using Rogaine, but she told me to hold off...she thinks the Nioxin is working.  I have noticed that after washing my hair, there is very little hair in the tub drain and maybe one or two hairs in my comb after combing it out; that's a far cry from the masses I was finding! I can run my hands through my hair again without finding a ton of hair in my hands. We still don't know what caused it, whether it was the severe dieting last year (my sister is thinking it's all the walking that I do), or stress, or the prednisone or what. But it seems to have stopped. For a while, when I washed it, even though I conditioned the heck out of it, it tangled up like a bird's nest and it was awful trying to get the tangles out. It's fine again. I can wash it, condition it, and the comb goes right through. And last night, when she was trimming my hair, she said she noticed that it seemed a lot thicker and softer than it was. So maybe it will be OK. We're going to give it another month with me using the Nioxin and the Extreme and see where I am at the beginning of April when I go back in for root color.

She had recommended the Nioxin and also Redken Extreme and I've been switching between the two, using the Nioxin scalp treatment once a week. And the very first time I used the Extreme, I noticed a big difference, just from the first time. And I love the stuff. No more ponytails when I'm on the treadmill; I'm using a clip instead.

I've been eating more protein, too, than I used to: more eggs, more beans, more fish, more chicken breast, oatmeal with milk in the morning, Greek yogurt, all that good stuff. And yes, it has resulted in some weight gain, but well, I don't know what else to do. Be skinny and bald or be a little on the heavy side and have hair. Gosh, but I hate getting old.

On another note, for Ulta fans, much of their stuff is Buy 2, Get 1 Free right now. Their salon services are increasing though; I got my color last night for $60 and that included the trim and that's the last time. Next time it will be $65 and, with a trim, she told me it would be $78. Throw the 20% tip in there and well, it's starting to get pricey, at least I think so. I was telling Rick about it last night; he just should his head and said that the older I get, the more high-maintenance I get. 

So anyway, my hair seems to be getting back to its normal (and I hope thicker) self! Whew!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great that your hair is starting to grow back. I still think stress and your low calorie diet was at least partly to blame. I know both caused me to have unusual hair loss a few years back.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

That's great that your hair is starting to grow back.
Ditto, glad things are going in the right direction for you.  I also color my roots and wonder how much that affects thinning hair.  It can't be good for it but I can't get used to seeing the gray. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys. I'm thinking that it was the diet, too. You can only exist on 700 calories a day for so long before it starts to play havoc with your health. Stress played a role, too, but doing that diet wasn't good. 

Rick thinks I should go grey. I cannot. Not yet. We've made a deal that, when I hit 70(ish), I will think about it. I don't want to be one of those women with wrinkles and no grey! But darn it, it's really hard to let it go. 

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks, guys. I'm thinking that it was the diet, too. You can only exist on 700 calories for so long before it starts to play havoc with your health. Stress played a role, too, but doing that diet wasn't good. 

Rick thinks I should go grey. I cannot. Not yet. We've made a deal that, when I hit 70(ish), I will think about it. I don't want to be one of those women with wrinkles and no grey! But darn it, it's really hard to let it go. 
My mom used to say one can never be too blond.

Insert whatever hair color you have 

Glad to hear you're doing better!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never have taken HRT, never will. Too many potential negative side effects. I'll just continue to grow old the "old fashioned" way.

Honestly, one of the problems in this country is that we are not allowed to grow old, we have to look and act young and if we look and act old we are dismissed.  I don't dye my hair (going grey), and my wrinkles I come by naturally so nothing much I can do about them. 

That said, would I *like* to look younger, heck yeah
  But not by taking drugs...

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whether it was the severe dieting last year (my sister is thinking it's all the walking that I do)

I've been eating more protein, too, than I used to: more eggs, more beans, more fish, more chicken breast, oatmeal with milk in the morning, Greek yogurt, all that good stuff. And yes, it has resulted in some weight gain, but well, I don't know what else to do. Be skinny and bald or be a little on the heavy side and have hair. Gosh, but I hate getting old.

You can only exist on 700 calories a day for so long before it starts to play havoc with your health.

Walking can't possibly affect your hair. Sounds like an excuse not to move on your sister's part. [emoji]128526[/emoji]

Why would eating more protein make you gain? I can hardly keep the weight on with all the protein I eat.

700 calories a day? Why did you put yourself through that & what were the results?

My hair is blah grey. I used to be a bottle blonde, but stopped coloring decades ago. I wish my hair was a pretty white silvery color that a lot of older women at church have. It's so pretty.