hows everyone doing with the UK smoking ban??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

lol i just got off the phone with someone from the UK,
she told me people are setting up pubs in there back yards.
get me some adresses please!!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol i just got off the phone with someone from the UK,
she told me people are setting up pubs in there back yards.
yep thats true - a famous comedian has remodelled a room in his house so he can have his own pub and smoke like a chimney in there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have already had one of our friends come over with one of those fake plastic cigarettes-thy r loaded with nicotine capsules tht you inhale-perhaps not a bad idea

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
or all the smokers could just refuse to listen to it,
and go ahead and do it anyway

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The company i work for supply the no smoking signs, and a lot of places have put smoking shelters outside their premises along with canopies and huge umbrellas at pubs with heaters for when it gets cold

http://www.workplace-products.co.uk/...FQjtlAodUzCJjg

It'll work, because it has in Scotland, it just takes some getting used to like anything else.

Sales in pubs havent went down in Scotland so i can't see us being any different.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It makes no difference to me as I don't smoke and most places around here have been smoke free for a while anyway in preparation for the ban. There's been a smoking ban in and around my workplace for years. Some people will make a fuss for a while but that's just tough - there are more non smokers than smokers and too many people in favour of it. I don't know anyone who's opposed to it, and that includes a few smokers.

bibbytessy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I own a bar in the town centre, we only open Thurs, Fri and Sat evening but I can't wait until this weekend as it will be the 1st time I will work in a smoke free atmosphere and go home not smelling of cigs, I always have a croakey voice for 3-4 days after work although that could be because I talk too much. My husband is a chain smoker and I am a none smoker so I have had great pleasure in putting up the No Smoking signs in his office as even if your premises are closed to the public in the day you are still are banned from lighting one up! (the council are doing spot checks as they can fine you £2,000 for disobeying the law).
We are lucky enough to have a Courtyard one of only 5 out of the 10 bars and pubs that do. We've also just built an Alfresco Bar to accomodate everyone in the hope that we won't see much of a drop in business, although we are currently experiencing abnormal rain quantities (another topic altogether) so it dosn't look so appealing to use yet!
Infact I'm going to look on your business site link Rosiemae as we need a canopy!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bibbytessy

Infact I'm going to look on your business site link Rosiemae as we need a canopy!
Oh that's not where i work
Those are examples of what some premises have done. My company make the no smoking signs to fit onto walls, windows and doors

Most of the pubs have those huge umbrellas that they have in the summer only bigger

http://www.parasolar.com/

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had the smoking Ban in Australia while I was still living there, they must've started back in 2000, or 2001 even. Then we got to Germany, and they still dont have the smoking ban here (will start in September in Hessen I heard) and in Italy they have had it for a few years now too, (my parents hate it because they love lighting a cigarette after dinner) But it doesnt bother me one bit as im not a smoker and I will only smoke a cigarette if i'm terribly drunk.

on the weekend i had such a sore throat because i went into tiny pubs and bars that was full of smoke, i had to go out a few times to catch air, and my eyes were sore and red too!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

dont know, but people can fight for there rights, or just roll over and take it.
Smoking isn't a right. Things like voting are rights...smoking is a priviledge, and one that has heart disease, lung cancer and asthma (especially in young children) on the rise. I'm sorry, but subjecting innocent bystanders to smoke laden with about 4,000 chemicals, many of which have been confirmed to be carcinogenic is not something I'd refer to as a "right". Do it at home.

Bars and restaurants here that have gone smoke free are reporting that business is on the rise, not the other way around.