Howling fits at night - HELP!

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male 10yr old neutered cat Jack, has been doing the same thing since he was about 3....sometimes I would come out for a look, and found that he would have a toy mouse or something in his mouth, just talking (howling) with these things in his mouth...lots of lost sleep here....But, over the past few years, I think he is just searching for me, as soon as I call his name from the bedroom, he comes running for a few rubs, and we both go back to sleep together again....

I love your kitty pics.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Compulsive licking and removal of the fur down to the skin is usually an indicator of stress.
This in conjunction with his howling at night, could mean he has some emotional thing going on.

Seems like you're getting this thing narrowed down.

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had a beautiful little black female who did the same thing. She'd walk around the apartment crying plaintively early in the mornings. Fortunately we all thought it was cute -- my son-in-law called her Catsy Cline because she went out walking after midnight!

BTW we didn't have to yell at her to get her to stop, we could just call her name a few times and she'd stop like she was listening to see what we had to say. Then she'd start her song again.

We lost her to cancer and she didn't stop singing until she was very sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Compulsive licking and removal of the fur down to the skin is usually an indicator of stress.
This in conjunction with his howling at night, could mean he has some emotional thing going on.

Seems like you're getting this thing narrowed down.
I was thinking either stress or boredom, but...

What could he possibly be stressed about?

He's got the perfect life here. A stable, regular routine, he gets to go outside in a confined area where he can't get out into traffic or fight with other cats. We've got loads of cat towers, places to go, hide, hang out, sleep etc. etc. He gets several feedings of deli-quality turkey and roast beef every day (this in addition to his normal diet of cat food).

Man, I wish I had it as good as he does!

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katie=^..^=

BTW we didn't have to yell at her to get her to stop, we could just call her name a few times and she'd stop like she was listening to see what we had to say. Then she'd start her song again.
Exactly - He'll stop for a minute or so, then start up again.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you've probably tried just about everything by now. I'm wondering if he's calling for everyone to get up, since he's up. Could be he's lonely.
I say this, because one of our male bengals does this. About 3 to 4 am, everyday, he wakes up and everyone else is sleeping, to include the other bengals. He then walks around lamenting about it. I've gotten up a few times and he's all happy about it and stops hollaring right away.
Now, if I remain in bed and yell at him to be quiet, he usually stops and will wait an hour or so to start up again. I get up at 5 am anyway, so he's a good alarm clock.
Maybe your guy is doing the same thing and the reactions he's getting are making him stress out to lick his fur off?
Cat behavior is really difficult to figure out sometimes! I'm just taking a stab at a guess here.

I don't know if I missed this in the thread, but is there any possibilty the tumor, which caused the first episode, has grown back?

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I know you've probably tried just about everything by now. I'm wondering if he's calling for everyone to get up, since he's up. Could be he's lonely.
I say this, because one of our male bengals does this. About 3 to 4 am, everyday, he wakes up and everyone else is sleeping, to include the other bengals. He then walks around lamenting about it. I've gotten up a few times and he's all happy about it and stops hollaring right away.
Now, if I remain in bed and yell at him to be quiet, he usually stops and will wait an hour or so to start up again. I get up at 5 am anyway, so he's a good alarm clock.
Maybe your guy is doing the same thing and the reactions he's getting are making him stress out to lick his fur off?
Cat behavior is really difficult to figure out sometimes! I'm just taking a stab at a guess here.

I don't know if I missed this in the thread, but is there any possibilty the tumor, which caused the first episode, has grown back?
I had the same thought myself....or maybe another one!
Linda

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, as I was reading all the replies, I was worrying that he might have a recurrence of the tumor. I surely hope not, but he should be checked thoroughly for that.

The other thought that occurs to me is what I suspect Hissy might say about the howling if she were here: that your kitty may be smelling the "markings" of other males prowling around outside your house. I'd never heard of this, but Hissy has diagnosed it a few times here on the board.

He's a beautiful boy! I hope he turns out to be just fine...

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
at least he is walking around the apartment not sitting on your head. Salem snuggles on my shoulder and just as im dozing off he starts howling right in my ear. he will do this a couple times a night specifically at 2 am and again at 4 its like he thinks we should get up but all he does is howl till i wake up then stops its very aggrevating expecially when im having one of those nights wheres its 330 before i can get to sleep

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought somewhere I read that obsessive over-grooming can also be another of the signs of a high thyroid. I'm waiting for a thyroid panel back on my oldest cat, and she's been doing the over grooming recently too. I also got some advice from Pat & Alix about getting actual levels of the thyroid, because if it starts creeping up, it can still be within "normal" levels but be a problem to the kitty.

With the yowling and losing weight, it sure sounds suspicious.

Oh, has anyone suggested Feliway or any other feel-good pheremone that you can spray/plug-in, in case it is behaviorial? That might help...good luck.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mina does this. She licks at her belly excessively and there is no fur there....it's become a bit of a family joke,...`Mina quick!! There's some fur on your belly!!' and she'll plop straight down and start a-lickin'!!

The vet said it was because she was just a highly strung cat, and there's not much we could do about it except put her on kitty Prozac which seemed a little extreme....

sheilamcc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old male Manx who just want us to wake up with him during the night. Not the yowling you described, however I have trouble sleeping as well so we have been locking him in another room. I don't like it and would love some other suggestions, but for now we are sleeping. It is tough when we love these animals.

gbsothere

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MikeAnderson

Hi all,

My wife and I have a 10-year old neutered male cat. He's a great cat in every regard except one:

Several times during the night, he will engage in loud howling fits. These last for 5-10 minutes, during which he will walk around the apartment howling, "Hrowww! Hrowww! HROWWW!!" over and over.
Mike, I'm not sure that it's a "male" cat thing, necessarily. We had a female cat, a California Ragdoll, that loved those little feathery toy mice. She had tons of them that she hid all over the house. At night, she would get one in her mouth and prowl all over the house with that same, loud, freaky "Hrowww! Hrowww! Hrowww!" It was like she was growling, but she did it with the mouse in her mouth. I think it's some sort of "Me Predator" thing.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if this is something thato many cats do as they get older? 3 of my siamese all 3 female. Used to howl this lonely howl in the night just as you are describing. they only did this as they got older. A few times a night just for a few minutes. I had them vet checked and never found a physical cause for this. I attributed it to just getting older and lonely at night. Now my Persian Male cat who is now 12 has just started to do this occasionaly at night and he never used to. I wonder if maybe they get aches and pains like older humans do and vocalize more at night wanting some sympathy and human company?

avalon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Pooka and Harley did that. Pooka started shortly after Pokemon died, and went on until we nuetered him. Harley did it also until neutered, but sometimes will go on for a day or two. HArley also has licked of all his fur off his belly and hindquarters. His Vet. has recomended calming pills too, but I'm not very convinced. It's bad enough that I'm taking them without his having to, too

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We did take Misto to the vet and had a blood panel done.

There's no sign of a thyroid problem at all, the vet said everything looks normal.

She recommended antihistamines (twice a day!) for a possible allergy problem. The only other solution she offered was kitty Prozac. We're just not willing to do that to him.

flower

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had a problem with Tiger meowing really loudly at night. She's 13 years old and a little sensitive.I have no idea what sets her off but when she first started doing it I got such a fright. It didn't even sound like the same cat. I thought my two babies (Tiger and Starfish) had bought a friend home for a sleep over. I stumbled out into the hallway and there was Tiger. I checked the food bowl and the water bowl and the toilet situation but nothing was wrong there. I picked her up and cuddled her for a few minutes then took her back to bed with me. She has been doing the same thing for about 3 years now and the family has learnt to ignore it. I hope there is nothing wrong with her. Now I have read the comment about thyroid problems I might take her for a check up.

annettek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mike;

About your cats yowling each night, does he do this the same time every night? For those times; have you done anything in the past in the previous home at those specific times? Do you have any other pets besides the older cat within your home? Does he have the run of the house or do you confine him within  a room while you sleep?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi annettek!! :wavey:

This thread is from 2005, so the original poster is probably not paying attention to it anymore, but if you want to contact him directly, you can click on his name and send him a Personal Message.

Welcome to TCS!! If you'd like, you can wander over to New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your furfamily. I see you've already uploaded a profile picture! We all LOVE to see cat pictures. :lol3:

If you need help navigating the site, just PM me or a moderator and we'll help out ASAP.