Howling at the top of his lungs

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
At all hours of the night howling to go out I don’t know how old he is I think he's pretty old he’s fixed he was a outdoor cat I need suggestions I’m going out my mind I need sleep I don’t know what to do

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's no fun! What's your kitty's story--did he just become an indoor only cat? Did anything else change in his environment? Are there health issues?

We had an older cat who started doing that and it turned out that he was going deaf and was scared, the poor thing. We started leaving on a night light in the hallway and in the room where he slept to help him not be so disoriented at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
He was a barn cat is what I’m told he’s also loosing weight and that’s something new too I’ve tried to keep him in my room he won’t stay he will yell to met him out he said Madonna 😂😂😂 his meows are weird they sound like mom hello ok hola

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Howling and losing weight can be typical signs of hyperthyroidism, which can be treated with meds. I'd get him checked over by a vet and have blood work, including a thyroid count, along with a urinalysis since he is an older cat.

There are other conditions, like hearing and vision issues - or even dementia - that can trigger howling, especially at night. How is his eating?

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
He eats a lot and I don’t have money for a vet and the woman won’t take him I tried I’ve been feeding him chicken boiled I’m not a big fan of kibble or wet food but sometimes he won’t touch the wet food

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See what you can do to start building up the money to take him. If it were to be hyperthyroidism, he will continue to lose weight, and can ultimately develop heart problems from the condition. Not to mention, the howling isn't going to go away.

He also needs nutritionally complete food, so hope you are adding supplements to his boiled chicken.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
What should I add to help him so I can get them now I feel like a bad person I don’t have money to bring him to the vet

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She just told me no natures gotta take it’s course she’s not paying the vet bill so if anyone’s willing to help let me know

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is food made specifically for cats with hyperthyroidism to work as the meds would. These foods are iodine restricted to stop fueling the over production of hormones generated by the thyroid. To work best, it should be the only food given, and other cats can eat some of it, but they should be eating other foods as well. The problem you might have is finding these foods that are not prescription-based, which would wind you back to the need for a vet. The other problem will likely be finding a dry food in these foods rather than wet.
Best 5 Low Iodine Cat Food for Hyperthyroid Cats [2023] (raiseacat.com)
Best Cat Food With Low Iodine : 8 Good Recipes to Consider in 2023 | EasyPet

I know some members on this site use PetWellbeing Thyroid Support supplement but I believe that is in addtion to - not in replacement of low iodine foods.
PET WELLBEING Thyroid Support Gold Bacon Flavored Liquid Hormone Supplement for Dogs & Cats, 2-oz bottle - Chewy.com

Please take some time to read up on hyperthyroidism just so it might help you understand it better.
Hyperthyroidism in cats | Veterinary Teaching Hospital | Washington State University (wsu.edu)

Btw - I am not encouraging you to treat this cat without involving a vet, but I am hoping that the more you know the more likely you can explain to this woman that there are ways to treat him.

Last edited:

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
She won’t I tried she don’t care I feel so bad for him I feel like a bad mom

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry, I pretty much don't know what else to offer. You could reach out to the two organizations that I know of that provide supplements for non-cat food and ask them what you could do to offer him the supplements for the boiled chicken he will eat - but without all the iodine. They are: Food Fur Life - EZ Homemade raw food for pets! & A Guide To A Balanced, Homemade Cat Food - Alnutrin Supplements (knowwhatyoufeed.com). I have found the former one to be very personable and helpful. I haven't tried the latter.

You can spend some time reading the information I provided, including about the support supplement, which claims to include some calming ingredients. At least you could see if they are OK to give to a cat that you don't know for sure has thyroid issues.

I don't know what makes you a bad cat mom, when the his care - at least financially - is under someone else's control.

In the meantime, if the howling has to do with hyperthyroidism, it isn't going away on its own. But you can try other calming products to see if they might help any.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
he likes to be outside it might be that too but it’s been cold and snowing