How young can a cat get pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angel_kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well... We're going to take her into the vet as soon as we can. I suppose it's the only real thing we can do. I wish there was like... kitty-medicare or something lol, just to make it easier.

We're in New Westminster, BC. We've already looked up some of the low cost places, and one seems to be right up the street. Hopefully it won't cost too much! Cuz I'd be really peeved to go in there and pay that stupid $60-100 fee for a checkup and find out she's just getting chubby!

Thanks for all your help everyone
Much appreciated.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This has been very interesting to read as Sasha's mama, SiSi, only made 1 big kitten and that was him, 12 years ago. SiSi was barely 6 months, and had just one, but gave him everything she had! Amusingly enough, she let him nurse for over a year and he grew to be 21 lbs. in size and they had a very close relationship until he was two and she got sick of him jumping on her all the time. But I never separated them, just got a bigger house!

I did get SiSi fixed 3 weeks after she gave birth to Sasha, and Sasha fixed at 5 months. I think you shoudl do what your heart and good judgement tells you to do!

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely keep the kitty indoors after she gives birth. I had a friend once who 'adopted' a feral baby, which turned into a kitten. Which got pregnant waaaayyy before she thought she was old enough to be spayed. Since the cat was still essentially feral, she stayed outside and unfortunately, was perpetually pregnant for about 2 years before I convinced my friend to abort the pregnancy and get the kitty spayed. And now their woods are crawling with ferals who are procreating at an amazing speed.

angel_kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feral is a stray cat right? Or a mutt? Angel is a mutt I believe. But she was given to us from babyhood. Does that make her feral? No right?

babypeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had got my kitten from my boyfriendâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s kitten. When I say kitten it's because she was around two and a half to three and a half months old. It was like babies having babies. That's so crazy. When they had got her from a friend they didn't know that she was pregnant. She looked normal and not fat, until she was giving birth on April 15th. So I guess even at a young age like that you can get pregnant.

Vanessa

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feral is a stray cat right? Or a mutt? Angel is a mutt I believe. But she was given to us from babyhood. Does that make her feral? No right?
A feral cat is one that was once a stray...but over time has become more wild. I would really suggest you visit Alley Cat Allies website to learn more about feral and stray cats:

http://www.alleycat.org/index.html

Katie

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen cats get pregnant as young as 4months...truely Babies having babies.

Unless there is a true medical reason against surgery, cats are considered by every major veterinary organization, and by most veterinarians, to be safe to S/N at the age of 8 weeks.

Angel_Kat, Please keep us updated on your kitty.

Spotz

angel_kat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, she's healthy and happy, still playing and taking adventures outside. We've started moving things around: my bf used to keep some of his clothes in little baskets underneath his couches and we realized that soon they may be a good nesting ground.

I was wondering, do cats normally prefer to have their babies indoors? I suddenly have a fear that Angel is going to decide to have them outdoors, and then I won't know what to do! I don't think I'd be able to find them.

We tried setting up a blanket it a basket for her but she doesn't seem interested in that...

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should keep her inside from now on and especially after she delivers her kittens. Once the last kitten is born, she will go into heat again about 48 hours later so she needs to be inside.

Give her a nice wide cardboard box with low enough sides that she can easily jump in and out of , but once the kittens are born they can't fall out of. Pad it well with soft clean bedding, place it is a dark and quiet room somewhere that is free of drafts. Make sure you have a litter pan in the room, not to close to the box, but not that far away either. Once she starts feeling the urge she will begin nesting, and she will want a private, warm place to have her kittens.