How would you guys feel?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

maybe I'm being thick here, but since when does standing as godparent mean you'd raise the baby if something happened to the parents (this is a general question to all)?
That's what it's always meant in my family, which is why the godparents are always aunts and uncles.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess this is something that's different in various families, or maybe various regions. Among our family, it's always meant that if something happened to both parents, the godparents would accept responsibility for the child -- not necessarily raising him themselves, but making sure he has a good home with a loving family, and his education is funded. I believe it is (or has in the past been) customary to choose a godparent who has significant financial wherewithal, to ensure the child's security... and also someone of the same religious background as the parents.

When I was born, my parents created a legal document stating who my godparents were, so that their choice would carry weight in court... and my brother and his soon-to-be-ex-wife did the same for my nephew a few years ago, too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

That's what it's always meant in my family, which is why the godparents are always aunts and uncles.
Yep. Ditto that.

My Godfather is my Mom's brother. My Godmother was my Dad's brother's wife (my Aunt).

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We think much differently. My husband's best friend is our daughter's Godfather but in our Will it is stipulated that should anything happen to us, his brother Peter and his wife would raise Jennifer (and this has to be discussed and agreed to with them before including in the Will). Thankfully that was never needed. Being a Godparent in our eyes is totally different than being a guardian and having responsibility for rearing the child. It really is more of an "honourary" role.