How would you classify a Bengal cat?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of an odd question. But someone on another forum said something to the extent of "I don't know why people want to own wild or exotic looking cats like Bengals or dogs like wolf-hybrids when they are so many normal cat and dog breeds out there"

I was just wondering if a Bengal cat can be even comparable to something like a wolf-hybrid? Bengals come from Bengal ancestors a few generations back where as wolf hybrids usually come from one wolf parent and one dog parent right? I mean I know all cats came from wild cats at some point and same with Bengals except they are a little newer. But when you go to a good breeder to adopt one, it is usually a few generations down from the wild ancestor isn't it? I was thinking she may be mistaking Bengals for Ocicats. What are Ocicats a mix of?

Also on a similar note, are there any laws pertaining to owning cats like Bengals or Ocicats? Laws about how far away they can be from the "wild" cat? Does that make sense?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that Bengals from a reputable breeder are at least either three or four generations from the wild ancestor. The Ocicat is actually the result of mixing domestic breeds, I think it was the Siamese, Abby, and domestic shorthair. They were trying for a Siamese with the ticked pattern in the points and got cats with leopard spots.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, to me, Bengal's are considered Domestic cats. I have 2 Bengals. I've heard some people call them exotic, but I don't think they're any different from any other cat. Bengal's do have some traits that a more or less Bengal traits, like being active, intelligent, playful, liking water ect ect, but not all Bengal's like water, and not all Bengal's are playful. My boy Bengal Simba seems to fit the Bengal personality more, because he's extremely active, extremely playful, plays fetch like a dog, and several other Bengal traits, however he isn't really into water. My female Bengal is docile, and not that playful. I love Bengals, because they are cool cats. I know there is some wild blood in them, but it's so far removed that I would have trouble considering them anything other than a regular domestic cat.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bengal cat was produced by crossing the wild asian leopard cat with a domestic cat.
Several different domestics were used, abby's, egyptian mau's, american shorthairs and even a few mixed breed.

Most bengal cats for sale are at least 4 generations removed from the asian leopard cat.

The Filial bengal cats (1st through 3rd generation), are also available from reputable breeders. These cats make wonderful pets too, but the new owners need to be made aware of special needs they may have. A first generation bengal cat will have 50% wild blood, and these cats may exhibit behaviors seen in the asian leopard cat.

The asian leopard cat is a small forest dweller. Mostly nocturnal and fearful of humans.

Some states have laws banning bengal cat ownership, unless the cat is at least 4th generation. Most states allow bengal cat ownership at any generation, including the actual asian leopard cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While Ocicats look wild, they are 100% domestic cats - Abys, Siamese, and American SH - all pedigree cats - not unknown mixed breeds. The original inention was to produce the aby color on the points of a siamese, but the ocicat was a surprise result. The daughter of the originator (Daly) thought the babies looked like little ocelot kittens; hence the name "ocicat".