How/when To Supplemental Feed Big Litter?

rabbott

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our rescue female gave birth 6 days ago to eight kittens. I have been weighing the babies and some are not gaining enough weight. My main concern is that one only gained 7g in the last 24 hours. The others seem ok with daily gains at 10, 11, and 12 grams. One even gained 20! It seems that the biggest and strongest kittens are getting all the milk. How can I help the little guys? I tried to bottle feed the one that only gained 7g but I could't get her to suckle. Out of curiosity I tried to feed the biggest one with a bottle and it did suckle succesfully. I've had a few ideas about what to do and would like some more opinions. Thanks!

Ideas
-bottle feed the worst one/s a few times daily still keeping them with mom (not yet succesful)
-move the best growers for a few hours (bottle during this time?) giving the little guys a chance to nurse from mom
-open to new ideas!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your second proposal - a rotation - is a good idea almost always useful in big or very uneven litters.

7g isnt no catastrophe, you do affort to try out the rotation at first.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rotation is the best option in these situations. Should someone still not be gaining as you'd like, supplement that one when they are out of rotation.