how well do cats survive on dry food?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a new vet. Seriously. Any vet worth his salt ought to know about feline hepatic lipidosis. It's very, very dangerous for a cat to go hungry for a day or more.
One day without food is not long enough to develop fatty liver disease as long as the cat is not already sick or obese and even then, it's not likely. *However* it's not good for them and you should try to not let it happen.

Candie, how long are you gone for work? As long as it is less than 12 hours, you are okay to feed your cat before you leave and then when you get home. After waiting 8 hours, she will be a lot more motivated to eat wet. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh i don't let her go a day without food i just end up feeding her dry at the very end of the day hoping she will eat the wet food in morning/evening but sometime it still hard but she seems to like felidae but i'm more worried since there is a bit fish in there even though its not first ingredent.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried giving her wet at the end of the day before you give in and give her the dry? She may be so excited to get her food by then, if you put down wet, she may just eat it.

(Btw, get her excited like 'oh, it's eating time, you are hungry, aren't you?' then put down the wet and immediately walk away for 20 minutes. You may be surprised when you get back.)