How to Wean Kittens With Mom Close By

Jking0512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am not new to the animal world but am new to caring for kittens.

There is a back story to my situation. Where I work we have tons of feral cats. Some of us are animals lovers and one of my co-workers started feeding the cats. One cat in particular started coming inside the warehouse and after a few months got increasing comfortable around people but would only let the guy feeding her touch it. I love animals so I started talking to her and trying to get close. We even made her a bed in our warehouse. It was named Felix. After several months, I noticed that Felix was getting very big. We quickly concluded that Felix was actually Felicia, LOL! A couple weeks after we noticed her plumpness, she gave birth to 5 beautiful kittens in a box in our warehouse. She moved the kitten 3 times before we decided that it was time for us to intervene. Unfortunately, one of the kittens passed when she had them in the warehouse ceiling.

Because all the kittens have homes/have been claimed when they are ready and because Felix/Felicia became increasingly friendly, we decided to contain them here and have her raise them with our help. Even when mama cat, as I call her, started coming around she never showed any aggression towards anyone. No hissing, scratching, biting, nothing. She has always been skiddish but never aggressive.

The kittens will be 4 weeks on Thursday 5/13/2020. We spend time with mama cat and the kittens multiple times a day. She is a fantastic Mama and has gotten used to use loving on the kittens. It has been really fun watching them grow and mama loves to be loved on now. She can still be skiddish but she will rub all over you, purr, and meow some. We have plans to have her fixed once the kittens are ready to go to their new homes. I have done tons of research on how to take care of them but with the current situation I have questions.

I know they should start to poop and pee on their own soon, will mama cat continue to eat it? How will I know that they are using the bathroom on their own?

With mama cat always there, what is the best way to wean them? She really likes the gruel that I made and tends to eat it. I have been using my finger to give them all a taste so that they can start getting used to something other than her milk but they are rarely interested. They are licking, starting to play, and watch mama like hawk when she's out with us.

I have kitten canned food, formula, a small litter box, and non-clumping litter. I know I will need dry food but since they won't be ready for that for a bit I haven't bought any.

What helpful tips can I get on how to get these babies raised right? They are so precious and I hope they all have their mama's personality. I will be taking one of them home myself and am the sole care-given for them at the moment. Thank you for any information/help you can give.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's safe for them, and the mother is friendly, keep them with her until they're 12-14 weeks old. That's the best way for them to grow up well-adjusted.

They'll start eating solids when they're ready, don't rush things. And the mama may force them to stop nursing, or she might not, it doesn't really matter because they'll all be ok if you wait until they're at least 12 weeks old.

The mama cat won't clean up after them once they start solids. So make sure to have a shallow litterbox out for them and she'll take care of the rest.

Is anybody adopting the mama cat, or is she staying as an office pet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jking0512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's safe for them, and the mother is friendly, keep them with her until they're 12-14 weeks old. That's the best way for them to grow up well-adjusted.

They'll start eating solids when they're ready, don't rush things. And the mama may force them to stop nursing, or she might not, it doesn't really matter because they'll all be ok if you wait until they're at least 12 weeks old.

The mama cat won't clean up after them once they start solids. So make sure to have a shallow litterbox out for them and she'll take care of the rest.

Is anybody adopting the mama cat, or is she staying as an office pet?
Thank you for replying. Right now we are planning to keep mama here at the office. Everyone seems to enjoy having her around. We will have her spayed and vetted once she is done taking care of the kittens.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Set out the litter box (or two) with the non-clumping litter now. Mama will most likely use it and the kittens will follow suit.