How To Wean 15-week-old Kittens?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We took in a stray female. We didn't know she was pregnant, and she didn't look like it. To make a long story short, she gave birth in the garage sometime in early May (she gave birth behind a storage cabinet, long story). I discovered them about age 3-4 weeks. We are going to take them all in for shots and spaying/neutering very soon. I've held off on flea meds because, even though they've been eating solid food since we found them, she continued to nurse them. Most flea meds say not to apply if a cat is nursing. I have seen her sort of nurse them last week. They really need flea treatment! What should I do? I don't want them to suffer any longer. Thank you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fine to apply the flea meds. When it says not to apply it to nursing moms, it means those who are nursing kittens too young for flea meds, not older freeloaders :D. She'll make them stop nursing when she wants to; no reason to interfere.

Make sure you get them spayed/neutered soon! I had a kitten go into heat when she was 16 weeks old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks! I guess I often take things too literally! My vets always told me that I couldn't use flea meds for kittens under 8 weeks old, so I used to bathe them daily in Ivory (bathing/bar) soap, which does help a bit. I avoided it with these kittens. They aren't crazy about humans! I feel bad that they suffered needlessly because I took the warning to mean all nursing cats. They will be de-flead tonight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's fine to apply the flea meds. When it says not to apply it to nursing moms, it means those who are nursing kittens too young for flea meds, not older freeloaders :D. She'll make them stop nursing when she wants to; no reason to interfere.

Make sure you get them spayed/neutered soon! I had a kitten go into heat when she was 16 weeks old.
"Freeloaders." LOL It's funny to see Miss P. trying to nurse large kittens. It looks so awkward. Rudie is the most insistent one, and the second largest kitten in the litter (he's a cute tuxie). Lately, she's been flopping down on the floor only 1-2 feet from me to nurse them. I wonder if she's feeling a little more relaxed around me? She's always on edge around DH and I, always ready to run. They tend to gather where I am in the house, though, such as the office when I'm on the PC.