How to use Sticky Paws?

writerhall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A week ago we got a brand new and very lovely couch and chair. I purposely did NOT want leather because of our cat, and so we got a lovely chocolate brown fabric couch and chair. Our cat who previously only scratched on his huge cat tree - which is right next to the couch, has decided that the new chair makes a new perfect scratching pad. I have put blankets over it - and today went and bought a roll of that sticky Paws tape. How is the best way to use it? vertical stripes? horizontal stripes? And I'm assuming whenever friends come to visit, I can tear these stripes off. Have any of you used it? How long do you leave it on?

While in the pet store, I almost bought a can of spray which said it was safe for furniture and would keep cats from scratching, but I still was afraid that it might stain our new furniture. Have any of you used spray of this kind? (I was also afraid, too, that while spraying, I would accidentally spray it onto his cat tree - which would defeat the purpose!) 

I like to gently train our cat - and hate the whole squirt bottle in the face thing. 

lin

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi!!

I have never used Sticky Paws, but I would put the strips of tape whichever way he likes to scratch most. If you see him scratching it horizontally, put it that way, etc. I also wanted to suggest something else you might try.

Try to reattract him to his old scratching place, his tree. Try some catnip spray if he responds to catnip.

Or, you could try to recreate the feel of the chair he likes to scratch on. Get some fabric that's similar to the feeling of the upholstery on your chair, put padding under it, and tack it around a board. Lay it horizontally on the ground by his tree, or stand it up against the wall next to it if he likes to scratch vertically. Spray some catnip spray on that too, and see if he'll go for it.

I hope others come along and answer your questions about Sticky Paws. Good luck!! :vibes:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's how I protect my furniture.

I got a roll of clear contact paper, cut it in big squares and attached one on each corner of my furniture, sticky side out with sticky paws tape.

Perfect, no scratching going on what-so-ever, and it looks just fine, can hardly even see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writerhall

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm pleased that the tape is very clear. I bought Whisker City Scratch Prevention Tape. This brand had a huge display in my local PetSmart (Canada). I was sitting on the couch earlier and there my cat went - right up to the side of the chair to scratch. So, I calmly went over and stuck some strips where he scratched. Hopefully it will be enough of a deterrent that I won't have to leave them on too long. The roll I bought is very huge! Hoping it will work on screens in the summer - another problem of mine! But never mind. I wouldn't trade him for all the new furniture in the world.

lin

tangoking

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you tell him not to do that? Take him over to the couch where he scratches, look at him, look at the spot, and tell him no? Then, maybe take him over to his scratching post?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you tell him not to do that? Take him over to the couch where he scratches, look at him, look at the spot, and tell him no? Then, maybe take him over to his scratching post?
Um, that's how you handle a DOG.  Not a cat!  Wow!!  If you do that with a cat, most likely they will just continue the bahavior when you aren't around to see... Trust me, I know... I know cats and dogs.  Different animals entirely.   Back to the situation.  I used them on my couch and it worked wonders.  I didn't know how or where to put it either but I just did so where they were scratching the most. Cats don't like to have anything sticky on their paws so it really gets to them to touch the sticky spot.  However, beware that they may start in on another area so I hope you got enough to cover all the corners!!  You might try Soft Paws in conjunction with this. I hear it is good when they scratch furniture as it doesn't snag or leave marks. 

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As i've mentioned before in a thread you posted in, cats are not like children.

I have leather sofas, and the only one that clawed it was my youngest cat Jack, but now he gets his claws trimmed every two weeks and it's solved the problem.

Last edited:

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a lot of success using Sticky Paws (but not other brands) tape on the roll to train 7 cats not to scratch my furniture. You don't have to use too much, just a few strips in the favorite scratching spots. Most cats learn to go to the various scratching posts I have within a few weeks. For my Harlow I had to leave the tape up for several months. He's very stubborn. But he did learn. I have never had furniture scratching problems since finding this product.

They sell Sticky Paws at Petco and on line. The directions say to test it on the fabric in an inconspicuous place. The other brands I tried didn't stick well for me.

R.