How To Use Drop Trap

Bubzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,
I've run out of options and need to use a drop trap to catch my half feral who is limping and has severe dental disease. Can anyone provide tips on using a drop trap, where to get one, as well as how to transfer? I am watching youtube for suggestions, but would like any advice you all have to share. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

20160418_171822.jpg

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They are pretty pricey - the trap itself and the transfer cage can be upwards of $250. Perhaps if you buy one, you can arrange to let a local rescue use it or even donate it.

I made a drop trap from PVC pipe and plastic fencing. I used zip ties to secure the fencing to the trap. I had to devise my own door (made a frame out of wood and a plywood door that slid in and out of it). Attached it to the frame of trap with plumber's clamps.

It worked well, although transferring the cat to a carrier was tricky. We needed three people for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are pretty pricey - the trap itself and the transfer cage can be upwards of $250. Perhaps if you buy one, you can arrange to let a local rescue use it or even donate it.

I made a drop trap from PVC pipe and plastic fencing. I used zip ties to secure the fencing to the trap. I had to devise my own door (made a frame out of wood and a plywood door that slid in and out of it). Attached it to the frame of trap with plumber's clamps.

It worked well, although transferring the cat to a carrier was tricky. We needed three people for that.
Thank you for sharing! Do you mind snapping a quick pic of the trap if you still have it?

Christine777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought my drop trap recently from Jet (via Hayneedle) to catch an elusive feral male cat who needs desperately to be neutered . Its Tomahawk brand neighborhood cat drop trap , and you need to buy the transfer cage too. The drop trap was $88 and the transfer cage was $50 (they have different sizes I got a medium one ) . I am so happy with this thing . I also have a Havaheart feral cage which I felt was dangerous to the cat potentially because of the way it slams closed suddenly and could catch a tail .

Also the cats were not going into the Havaheart trap , I only was catching opposums . But I watched videos online on how to catch a cat with the drop trap and decided to try it . You just have a string and poll it when they're under it eating some food. Fantastic . The drop trap also collapses for storage. Make sure it's weights down though since a strong feral cat can lift it and escape

Attachments

Bubzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to all for your suggestions and comments. I was able to find a drop trap to borrow then successfully capture my feral who had terrible dental disease/rotting teeth. I am happy to report he had surgery Sunday to removed 5 teeth (two canines gone!) and seems to be recovering quite well. He yowled for 24 hours in protest to being crated but it was for his own good. A big hole in my pocketbook now, but a huge weight is off my shoulders and his as well :). Here are a few photos of him being silly.
20170528_195642.jpg
20170528_195706.jpg
20170529_094822.jpg
20170529_095129.jpg

Christine777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a gorgeous cat ! I'm glad you were able to catch him . I caught a feral male recently with my drop cage who was terrorizing the other cats who come around , After getting him spayed I noticed some injuries on him so he has been under my care inside the house , living in two connected XXL 48 inch dog crates that I got on Amazon for about $50 each (simple to assemble, lightweight , work so great for a cat) which are working out really great so far for his recovery and him getting used to humans and home confinement . He has actually turned friendly, and is a sweet cat at heart .

Bubzie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a gorgeous cat ! I'm glad you were able to catch him . I caught a feral male recently with my drop cage who was terrorizing the other cats who come around , After getting him spayed I noticed some injuries on him so he has been under my care inside the house , living in two connected XXL 48 inch dog crates that I got on Amazon for about $50 each (simple to assemble, lightweight , work so great for a cat) which are working out really great so far for his recovery and him getting used to humans and home confinement . He has actually turned friendly, and is a sweet cat at heart .
I am so happy to hear that he has turned around...not only for humans and other cats but for himself as well. He is probably less anxious now that he knows human are not here to hurt him. Very creative with the set up! I could never bring mine indoors as I am allergic and my family members are not fond of animals. He sounds like he can be a candidate to be an indoor cat one day?

lordofspiders

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Youtube is a great place to watch videos. As for buying one, online is probably the best bet. If you are handy or know someone who is, there are lots of videos on building one too. Here is a good video for how to use one.

I'm Trying Drop Traps next...but on Disability, cannot afford one. Anyone trying to catch Feral Cats can usually 'Borrow' (with a Deposit) a Standard Humane Trap (Raccoon size)-but the BIG TOM Won't go near it (covered). Spay & Neuter Clinic or your local shelter have these traps to 'lend' for this very purpose. Purchasing one can be expensive, & I've got to come up with funds for the Big Tom, A MOM & Kitten (2nd kitten i caught, tamed, fixed and is in a great home). Check around - As long as you return the Trap, you get your $ back, and you need not put out additional expense. I'm skipping my on meds, just to feed my Manx (3), a toothless, spayed Stray i keep inside (Alpha)..she desperately needs care I can't afford, and then I'm feeding the Mom cat & kitten (which i had both trapped in the long Humane trap (but it was covered-i didn't realize they were both in there). These ferals are NOT going to be released in the same location, although that is best, if possible. I'm Burrowing a Drop Trap-BIG TOM First...but after i catch and get rides to the Clinic, these TNR cats will be released to a cared for small colony, where large truck containers serve as safe cover. Good-Luck!