How to turn prospective adopters down?longish

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where to post this, but can anybody give me some advice on how to turn someone down who wants my foster kitten, who may be perfectly fine people, but they don't have much of a vet history, one small dog-shots and boarded once, not at the same vet, I found out about the first vet because she gave me the second as a reference, but had only boarded there one time, recently. She said she has 3 other dogs, but neither vet has records on these, and said she had a cat, but disappeared (had that happen before, so can't really fault there). Said kitten would be indoors until grown, and then in and out, but husband said she said out when grown to him, but he wasn't sure if she was just adding it to the in
I don't mind if Gretta (the kitten) is an indoor/outdoor cat when she's grown, with her personality, she may need to be, but I just don't know.

I just don't feel comfortable giving Gretta to her and her 10 yr old daughter (but will feel bad for child), and also don't want to alienate her from my vet if she IS a good pet owner (my vet takes very good care of us
) So what do I tell her and how do I say it nicely? I figured I would tell her that I want Gretta to go to someone who has a longer vet history, and that I'm sorry and that they may try the humane society. Would this be okay?

nikki w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would just tell her excatly what you said here. You want Gretta to go to someone who has a longer vet history. There is always so many cats and kittens at the humane society that need homes. They could easily go there and get a cat. Or at least here there is always a lot of cats and kittens. Are you adopting her out for free or are you charging them? At the humane society they will be charged but if they look in there local newspaper they could more than likely find a cat (especially kittens) for free.

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree honesty is best.... it's not an easy thing to say to someone, but you are only doing what you think is best.
Good luck!

charmed654321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the future, I would probably tell anyone considering taking a kitten that there were already others interested who have first choice, so you could nicely and easily say someone else decided to adopt her.

For now, perhaps you can say the same thing, or that you decided to keep her.

I'd be concerned about these people by what you've said too. Did they say anything about spaying?

Also, I'd probably ask if I could visit them in their home to talk to them about the kitten to see how they take care of their animals. They could tell you anything.

Good luck hope it works out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just simply say "sorry, but I don't feel that Greta is the right cat for your family. I care about who she will be placed with and what kind of home she will have" Perhaps you will find what you are looking for at your local shelter.

kittnldy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopt animals out...and I have been in your shoes before. My group is like my children.

When I come across a case like that, I usually just tell them the truth-that I'd like to see more of a vet care history. I'm picky about shots (I'm in a rural area..never know what's out there), future wormings, etc. What goes through my mind when I see an app. like that is, ...and it sounds harsh...but, do they like animals, but don't realize there is a responsibility that goes with it?

Just my .02.

Be honest with them.

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also adopt kittens/cats out for Humane Society and have recently turned down 3 adoptions.

In all 3 cases, I just didn't like what I heard. I treat my foster babies like they are my own little babies and if there is just 1 red-flag...well...they are not going anywhere!!

My advice is to be honest and polite.

gizzysgrandma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes people will just take kittens just because they're cute and they have a child (usuallly a daughter) who wants a kitten. Then, they find they don't really have a place for the kitty in their home later on.

Cats are like a dime a dozen, but dogs are more of an investment. You know when you get a cat that you can almost always find an apartment or a rental, but if you get a dog you'd better have your ducks in a row because most no one will ever rent to you if you have a dog. However, if you have a cat, you can take them along just about anywhere....or just dump them anywhere because there are so many of them.

I am more of a dog person. I am not a huge cat person. I love cats, don't get me wrong, but I am just not a "cat person" like I see others who are really into cats. I bought my house 4 yrs ago and all I could think was I wanted a dog SO MUCH!! I found the best friend I've ever had through a local shelter about an hour and a half away---my big boy samoyed husky. He is my "baby", now almost 4 yrs old. It's not that I don't like cats, but I just don't have a heart and soul for them like I do dogs.

I would like to see that all cats get altered...and dogs too, but more so cats because cats are ignored so much more so than dogs because cats don't come with as much personal responsibility and state laws as dogs; thus, they are easier to own and their numbers increase so much more rapidly because nobody is watching. They get abandoned more and get less vet care than dogs.

It is nice that you are looking out for them but it's almost like you're also up against great odds of finding homes for them. That is something I fear also in trying to find good homes for the kittens in my house. I have a lot of people who want them (on impulse) yet I wonder will they really bring them to the vet and get their shots and get their altering/spaying when the time comes??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I will just tell them what I originally thought (longer vet history, try humane society) since that seems to be the most popular choice- I would rather unintentionally hurt their feelings than to lie to them- I have come to the realization that she is my cat, and I don't have to have a reason, but I should have one to give be a nice person

I am giving her away for free, but they have to have a good vet reference, and since they don't really have a good or bad reference, that's not "good"
. Whoever gets her also has to come here to meet her first, so I can see how they are with her. If I like them right away, then fine, and if I have to think about it, they have to be willing to wait and come back. They also have to have a cat carrier to take her home in.

The vet history will tell you alot about whether or not the adopters will be good cat parents, and the vet offices I've spoken to in the past are really good about letting you know what they think
-
or
I've had one person who obviously thought I wouldn't really check

Thanks everybody; it's good to know I am on the right track
!

kittnldy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree.....go by gut feelings....

and btw....let us know how it went...

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
I will! I have to call her in a minute- pray I am graceful in talking to her please

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea!
Prayer answered! I called and told her, and she said "That's okay, we already got a couple from my niece." Would have been nice if she had called and let me know, but, there ya go
. I guess I need to get to work on my posters for the vets' offices