How To Treat Semi-socialized Cat For Ringworm?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my TNR colony cats has had ongoing skin irritation. Part of it was ear mites, and I've gotten those under control this summer with Revolution. But she's still got some skin irritation between her eyes and ears and on her tail. From photos I've looked up, it's possible that it's ringworm.

She's semi-socialized, meaning I can pet her, and earlier this summer, I was able simply to pick her up, put her in a carrier, and take her to the vet for something unrelated. The thing is, once at the vet, she was extremely difficult to handle. The vet had to use Kevlar gloves and have an assistant help.

I have a friend who's interested in helping to foster/socialize her, and I've prioritized her because she has terrible problems in summer with fleas and ear mites. I'm pretty sure she has a flea allergy. But if I go forward with trying to transition her to living indoors, I need to deal with any problems -- like ringworm -- first.

What I'm trying to do here is think ahead logistically. If a vet diagnosed ringworm, what are the treatment options for a cat that can't yet be handled for medical purposes? I think she would kill anyone who tried to subject her to a lime-sulfur dip.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I truly would take her to the vet to be sure it is ringworm. You don't want to have to treat for ringworm if it's not ringworm. I would call the vet and talk with them about the situation. Maybe you could send some pictures to the vet. Before bringing a cat inside to start socialization, I would be sure if it's ringworm since it is so contagious. Also be sure that the kitty has been tested for FIV and FELV.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Just to reiterate, my concern is how logistically difficult it would be to treat a cat that was difficult to handle for medical purposes if she turned out to have ringworm. I try to strategize these socialization plans so that I have some idea of my options before I take the cat to a vet for diagnosis.

Maybe I should have phrased my question as: Has anyone succeeded in treating a strong, adult female cat for ringworm when the cat might injure someone who was trying to treat her?

But, of course, I can't hand a cat that has ringworm over to a foster for socialization work. All the medical things have to be done first. She is 6 years old and was TNR'd before she was old enough to be pregnant, so FIV/FeLV are unlikely. She lives in a colony on a farm isolated from other cats.

I might be able to examine her with a black light, but there is a streetlamp-style security light at the colony location that I can't turn off.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to figure out the logistics. It depends on your situation with this cat and your location. The bottom line is that dealing with strays and ferals always carries unknown factors.

The most sincere answer to any question about a stray or feral generally involves trapping and treating them. Beyond adding meds to their food, unless you can apply something - which most won't stand for - they need trapping and treating for their own good.

Perhaps someone with a similar situation or success story will have something to add.

In the meantime, if you read the article I posted, it tells of topical treatments and oral meds that can be administered. You would need to determine what might actually be feasible in your particular situation.

She can be mildly sedated by a vet in order to treat her if need be. You need a vet who is willing to work with you. You'll need to make some calls and do some thinking and deciding about a plan.

I do hope you are able to help this cat!

* The black light should reveal ringworm regardless of the street light. It should show as green if it's ringworm.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my semi ferals had ringworm and they gave him oral medication. I also applied over the counter antifungal cream (but you don't have to do that). I was told ringworm is typically on younger cats because they haven't developed an immunity to it and it usually goes away on it's own even if you don't treat it.

My own cat had ringworm when I rescued him and the vet bathed him in sulphur. He was traumatized by the treatment and now refuses to go to the vet. When I brought him in the Vet's office they did not bother to inform me he had ringworm and that I could catch it from handling the cat and I got it too.

Some of my ferals have had lice, where they scratch so bad they lose fur. That can have the appearance of ringworm.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that whatever it is, it's probably secondary to the ear mites/flea allergy. Earlier this summer, she had hair thinning on her back and hindquarters with little red bumps. Revolution has gotten rid of that, and her coat has grown back. I suppose it's possible that if I keep treating her with Revolution, it will resolve on its own, but, as you say, I need to know what it is.

At this point, she will have to be sedated to be examined by a vet.