how to treat gluttony

jim s

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 3 cats.  One is a glutton.  We have tried restrictive feeding, but he gobbles his and pushes the others out of the way to eat theirs.  He will eat everything in site, drink water, then puke up huge piles all over the house.  Any ideas? 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
At one time we had 4 cats, all adopted, and like your guy one of them was a glutton too.  He was also a magician and got into our cabinets even with kiddie locks on them.
  One of our other cats ate slowly and would not eat the same food as the other 3 so it became a real challenge.  We had to feed the glutton separately and monitor the slow eater until he was completely done.  We never free fed any of the cats.  I don't know if this is helpful to you but perhaps other members can suggest a solution.  

tumult

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah, just feed your "glutton" in a separate room from the other two. he can't muscle in for his buddies' meals if he's physically in another room. and make sure you're feeding 2-3 meals a day with separate bowls for each kitty!

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into puzzle feeders for the glutton? It can help slow them down and make them work for their food. That should help prevent him vomiting it back up after eating too quickly. Even slow feeder bowls for dogs work great, because the cat has to scoop out the food with his paws first.

sophie2ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks much for bringing this subject in.  My 7 year old female wants to eat every 2 or 3 hours.....This is not brand new though.

I took her to see the vet last year, and they had no answers.  I will keep looking.  Thank you

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sophie2ellie do you mean its always been a problem? Or has it just been a problem the last couple of years? if its always been a problem you can feed your cat at regular intervals and ignore it when it begs. She will soon learn begging doesn't work. IF its relatively new I'd see a vet.

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like our cat. Will eat anything, anywhere, any time, with no end in sight. You just have to separate them at feeding times and take away all the food before letting the glutton back in. Some cats just don't know when to stop eating so they'll eat until they puke. Sometimes they try to eat their vomit too. Ugh.