How to trap and spay the smartest cat ever? I don't know I'm asking!

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazydazyz

Thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who suggested KFC chicken! It worked and Georgia is on her way to the vet NOW to get spayed and the kittens are going in next Wednesday to get spayed! Phew! Thanks again!

Amanda
Wow! That's awesome. I guess Georgia thought getting some of that smelly chicken was worth the risk. Did you use a box trap or a drop trap?

Just FYI, not to rain on the parade here, but KFC use some very horrible and cruel methods to raise their chickens. They are cramped in with tens of thousands of other chickens where they have less than an 8x8 inch area to live on their whole lives. They are fed food and drugs to make them grow quickly which causes them to be so unnaturally large that they can't walk or run due to being too top heavy. The birds have their beaks cut off as babies which is extremely painful and they are slaughtered in horrific ways, hung upside down by their feet while still conscious. Some are even conscious when they have their throats cut. I don't think Colonel Sanders would care that his chicken is used to help cats. Clearly he didn't give a rat's ass about the welfare of animals. Despite what people think chickens are intelligent creatures and they do suffer.
If you would like an alternative you can buy humanely raised chicken and bread it and fry it yourself. Here is a list of humane farms: http://www.certifiedhumane.org/index...ucers-products

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To quote the comedian Jim Gaffigan:

"Do you know they the DO to those chickens?"

"No, but it's delicious!"

Have you ever actually been in a chicken house?

Industrial raising of anything is not necessarily pretty, but your statements about the treatment of fryers and broilers is not quite true. The cages are not roomy, but 8"x8" is a good deal below the size they actually are. The idea is specifically to keep the chickens from exercising too much; strong muscles make for tough meat.

It's true the tip of the chicks' beaks are trimmed early on. This is to reduce the amount of damage the chickens do to each other. It's nomore painful to the chick than having your fingernails trimmed is to you.

Now, there are many problems I have with chickens. I don't personally like them; I'm not fond of chicken meat; and chickens in general, in my opinion, are just a step above pigs in what they're willing to eat, including each other, under the right circumstances.

And as far as KFC is concerned, I always worry about eating at one (when my wife insists on it). When I was in college, our biology department did restaurant microbiological tests for area health departments. They never found a KFC kitchen that they deemed "safe." They said this is due to the way KFC cooks their chicken. Most people don't know that the chicken meat is first boiled in pressure cookers, then breaded and deep-fried for a very short time. All that boiling creates a lot of steam and humidity, which makes a great place for bacteria to grow. Add in the natural tendency for chickens to have salmonella present around them, and this makes for a potent breeding ground for trouble.

But if the stuff helps us safely trap ferals for the TNR programs, I'm all for it.

Just in passing, our meat industry is pretty good at high efficiency. Campbell's soup is one great example. They buy up chickens that are "used up" from egg-laying operations. Those chickens are a good deal older than what is sold in the supermarket for frying or broiling, and they are used in soups, where the toughness is a virtue, not a liability.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do know how the chickens are treated at these mills. And I don't like it either
. BUT...using KFC chicken to trap feral cats is still one of the best ways to get a cat into a trap quickly. And I will still be using it if necessary and will keep suggesting it's use as well. I personally do not ever eat at KFC. This thread is about trying to capture a trap-smart cat, not about how chickens are raised and treated in the slaughter farms.

p.s HOPE Georgia is doing alright ?????!!!!!!!

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know what this thread is about. But since the majority of people here care about animals I thought they may be interested in how another specie of animals are treated so that we can have cheap meat.
How anyone can defend it is beyond me. A lot of chickens are not kept in cages. They are kept in large buildings with thousands of other chickens and the room they have to stand on is about 8x8. The cages aren't much bigger and provide for no quality of life. And debeaking is definitely painful and can't be compared to nail clipping any more than declawing can be compared to nail removal. Like declawing it's permanently debilitating.
Sure, the meat industry is efficient. So are puppy and kitten mills. They spit out puppies and kittens very efficiently

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I agree with you
we do all care about ALL animals here and thanks for the link about finding humane farms. Good to know. My earlier post about "Colonel Sanders" was just meant to be light-hearted and I did not mean to spur on this topic or offend anyone. I certainly do not agree with the way chickens are raised and kept in those terrible places. But I digress.......

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

...The birds have their beaks cut off as babies which is extremely painful
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

And debeaking is definitely painful and can't be compared to nail clipping any more than declawing can be compared to nail removal. Like declawing it's permanently debilitating.
While no one can defend many commercial farms as being humane, I do appreciate accuracy when making a point. Most farms clip the birds beaks. It is not in any way similar to declawing and it it is not permanently debilitating. They grow back, just like nails do. It is like clipping claws. My grandfather raised (show) chickens. I used to help clip beaks. We did each bird by hand with nail clippers. I've seen videos of commercial beak clipping. It's not pretty - but I understand why it's done (as Mike pointed out).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crazydazyz

Thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who suggested KFC chicken! It worked and Georgia is on her way to the vet NOW to get spayed and the kittens are going in next Wednesday to get spayed! Phew! Thanks again!

Amanda
That is FABULOUS news!!!!!!