how to transition cats to indoors

candyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has tips and ideas on how to bring my indoor/outdoor cats inside only.
My mother cat Dink (7) recently got bitten by snake and my daughter cat Jazz (6) has stomitis currently on steroid tablets but as she is outdoor indoor when I try to get her to have tablet she runs away and is becoming feral like no longer trust me or comes inside I rang vet she said stop meds have a vet appointment in 3 days.
I think bringing both cats inside at this time is the right thing to do but am worried how they will cope with no longer going outside. Is bringing these cats inside now after all there life being inside/outside cats cruel.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 

It does sound like it's time for them to come inside. 
 It can be a bit of a challenge during the adjustment period, but the good news is that you can absolutely do it. I hope other members will chime in with their own experiences of turning an outside cats into an indoor-only one but also wanted to link to our guide on this very topic - 

[article="33261"]The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside​[/article]  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the link ams the welcome

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved I made two kitties indoor cats. One thing you have to do is make their environment interesting for them. Window seats, places to perch, places to hide, stuff to scratch, and toys. Also, my two became a lot needier of attention.   

candyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have done a little research and I am confident that my mother cat will adjust fine it is the daughter cat I'm most worried about she has always been a shy cat bringing her indoors scares me a little [emoji]128521[/emoji].
Both are neutered have been for years they come inside to eat already and spend most nights inside it is just making the jump to inside only.
Any rough ideas on how long the crying wanting to go outside can last for

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really have any advice but I wanted to say good luck and I think you're doing the right thing.

candyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Alicia88 must say I am starting to lose my nerve a bit many people saying it can be done but others saying cats will never be happy again and it is cruel I'm going to ring my vet today or drop in and see her and see what she thinks. The vet knows my cats so she should be able to help and I know it is stupid but I worry about house fires house will they escape and also if I do keep them indoors I'm pretty sure if my youngest cat does get out she will never come back she has always been a shy part feral like cat from birth I don't know why but that is they way she is

candyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm starting to lose my nerve am going to speak to vet today about it she what she recommends she knows my cats so her advice is important but I am worried if my young cat gets out she won't ever come back she has been very shy almost feral like since birth and I know it is stupid but am worried about house fire house do they get out and some people say that they will never be happy again because they have known the out doors

candyz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have spoke to my cats vet and she has said that she advisers that I DO NOT attempt to make my kitties indoor cats only as it will stress them to much and cause to many health issues for them so now have been advised to leave cat of meds get her to vet she I can then next step is to crush tablet into food and see if that helps if not weekly injections which is not really an option as she will just go and hide again

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Alicia88 must say I am starting to lose my nerve a bit many people saying it can be done but others saying cats will never be happy again and it is cruel I'm going to ring my vet today or drop in and see her and see what she thinks. The vet knows my cats so she should be able to help and I know it is stupid but I worry about house fires house will they escape and also if I do keep them indoors I'm pretty sure if my youngest cat does get out she will never come back she has always been a shy part feral like cat from birth I don't know why but that is they way she is
Other people have no idea how happy or unhappy your cats will be. Most cats are fine with it. I've seen a couple that were not. Your cats will let you know. 

In case of fire, put a sign on your front window letting firefighters know how many pets you have inside.