How To Train A Former Stray Foster Kitten To Use A Litter Box?

Megan31296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Yesterday I found a kitten on the highway with no mom in sight, so I took it to the shelter and they told me if I left it there it would be euthanized, so I am now a foster mom to an 8 week old male long hair tabby kitten.

The shelter gave me litter and a litter box and I have set it up in the room the kitten is confined to opposite the kitten's food and water. I read online that I should place the kitten in the litter box after every meal and when it wakes up from a nap to coax it to use the litter box, but so far it hasn't worked. I, in retrospect foolishly, put an old duffle bag a couple feet away from the litter box to give the kitten a nice place to hide, and I realized this evening that the kitten has been using that as a litter box instead.

I have removed the duffle bag from the room and continue to place the kitten in the litter box after meals, but there is anything else I can do to help train him to use the litter box? I read online that normally kittens learn from their mothers, but this kitten's mother was almost certainly a stay that lived its whole life outside.

Is there a certain type of litter that will make cats more likely to go? Should I try a different litter box (bigger, smaller, covered, etc.)? Is there any way for me to convince this kitten to use the litter box? On a related note, what is the best way to remove cat urine from fabric? Thank you so much for all of your help! I am a first time cat mom and this has all happened so suddenly.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is an article: How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

I would add a tip that you have learned: remove temping stuff from the floor. Towels, bathmats, blankets and anything the cat can kneed between the paws are tempting targets. A scratching post with a hidey hole or the cat carrier probably make a better hang out than a dufflebag. A small cardboard box can be a toy/hide out, but nothing the kitten could get stuck in.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thanks for saving this kitten's life. :catlove:
And congrats on becoming a kitty mom.:petcat:

How big is the litter box the shelter gave you? For a kitten, you want a small, low sided one. I would not suggest covered till he's older. Also, make sure the litter is non-clumping, as sometime kittens try to eat litter.

Since he's not familiar with litter boxes and litter, try putting some unfertilized potting soil on top of the litter. Also, when if he pees on the floor, sop it up with a tissue and place it in the litter box and let him smell it. Do the same with any poop.

You also need to ensure you thoroughly clean where he's peed outside the box. An enzyme cleaner is the only one to completely remove the scent. Here's some articles with more info:

How To Remove Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Can you post a picture of the little guy?
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan31296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Thank you so much for the advise! He seems to have it down now! He's exploring and using the litter box on his own.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Good on you!! :rock:

What a sweetheart! :redheartpump:
If you need info on feeding or otherwise, there's more info and experts here, and also sometimes they suggest Home a website that is the Kitten Lady :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yay on the litterbox update. :banana1:

Does that adorable little guy have a name yet?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a cute kitten for sure. I have a very similar short hair tabby with the same M on the head; I'd say yours looks more like a medium hair kitten, if there is such a thing, but otherwise they could be bros.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Megan31296

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have decided to name him Highway, because I found him on Highway 1 in Los Angeles. I found him a week ago today. When I found him he weighed 1 lb 2 oz, and today he weighed 1 lb 14 oz! He is very playful now, and loves to be the center of attention. I tried to read a book the other day, but he had other plans! Thanks for all the advice!
20180630_120014.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a total cutie pie. :catlove: And very appropriate name. :thumbsup: