how to tell if a cat is a pixie bob

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is deaf, it shouldn't be allowed to roam around outside. It is at a serious disadvantage in defending itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
defending itself from other cats ?

from foxes also ?

or from humans

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll find almost all cats, especially outside cats are Domestic Shorthairs or Longhairs (DSH/DLH) - that's just a regular run of the mill kitty. They can be grey/brown tabby colour (with stripes or swirls), they may be black/white, black, orange, tortoiseshell, calico, and may be pointed (like Siamese, but still just a DSH). They may have some other breed back in their history, but generally they'll just be a DSH. Purebred cats cost a lot of money, and are kept inside and well taken care of, and generally get spayed/neutered as part of their contracts.

Many cats will attack you if you rub their belly no matter what their breed - some just don't like it, especially if they don't know you.

I'd be surprised if you saw a male tortoiseshell. You'd have to get pretty close to its back end to be able to tell

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

You'll find almost all cats, especially outside cats are Domestic Shorthairs or Longhairs (DSH/DLH) - that's just a regular run of the mill kitty. They can be grey/brown tabby colour (with stripes or swirls), they may be black/white, black, orange, tortoiseshell, calico, and may be pointed (like Siamese, but still just a DSH). They may have some other breed back in their history, but generally they'll just be a DSH. Purebred cats cost a lot of money, and are kept inside and well taken care of, and generally get spayed/neutered as part of their contracts.

Many cats will attack you if you rub their belly no matter what their breed - some just don't like it, especially if they don't know you.

I'd be surprised if you saw a male tortoiseshell. You'd have to get pretty close to its back end to be able to tell
well, i have reason to believe it is male

I forgot my digital camera when i went to see it , but it wasnt there anyway ! I went too early also.

Firstly, its name is archie. Why would someone name a female cat archie ? Unless the ower doesnt know that 99 per cent of tortoiseshells are female ? Is archie a female name ? Not much of one. It may have been castrated or neutered or whatever terminology, making identifying it more difficult.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My ex had a little female cat named Archie.
I believe it was shortened from something else, but only her orginal owners would know, she was just Archie to us.

There are a lot of animals with gender confusing names.
My current boyfriend has a female cat named Rikki, of course you would never see the spelling if someone just told you her name, you'd assume it was a boy and it was spelled Ricky.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fuggles

Firstly, its name is archie. Why would someone name a female cat archie ? Unless the ower doesnt know that 99 per cent of tortoiseshells are female ? Is archie a female name ? Not much of one. It may have been castrated or neutered or whatever terminology, making identifying it more difficult.
We had a male cat named Bonnie.

If you can't see obvious testicles, then I would say it's female.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We had a male cat named Bonnie.

If you can't see obvious testicles, then I would say it's female.
Not really... If he was neutered young, he is not going to be able to see any obvious testicles...

fuggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

to the original poster - do you have your own kitty you can share pics with us?
no, lol
/