How To Tell If A Cat Has Given Birth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not waiting on purpose, but I have to find transportation and I have to catch her, preferably at the same time... neither of which are very easy. I'm sure I can grab her and get her in the bigger carrier I have, but she often only comes by at 8PM and it doesn't feel safe at all to keep her in that carrier for 12 hours until vets open at 8AM.

I'm allowed to touch her briefly, but she starts growling if I hold my hand on her stomach no matter how lightly, so I haven't been able to do it long. I didn't feel any kittens moving, though.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you have no choice but to let her stay in a crate overnight. She’ll be okay. Unhappy, but okay. She really needs to see the vet.

Last edited:

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem is that the only crates I have are just carriers for short trips, too small for a cat to really stand up fully and almost definitely too small for me to try to leave food/water in there with a panicking kitty.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She really needs to see the vet. If that is your only option, it will need to be ok. She may die without vet attention.

Also, if she needs surgery, which seems likely, not eating the night before is probably best.

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has an appointment tomorrow morning, first thing!

I'm super nervous about catching her. But I'm hoping I can give her a little bit of wet food as usual, when she usually shows up around 8-9pm, then pick her up while she's distracted and drop her in the carrier. (And I'm going to wear layers of thick long sleeves and maybe gloves, haha.) I'm planning to use the cardboard carrier I got from the shelter way back when I adopted one of my cats, because it's the biggest and probably the easiest to get her in. I'm thinking about trying to put a small amount of water in the carrier with her too, but I'm not sure it'll make a difference since there's a good chance it'll just spill... Her appointment is around 9am, so she should be in the carrier about 12 hours. Not ideal, but if I don't catch her that early I may not be able to at all.

Would surgery be likely for parasites? She grew at the right rate to be pregnant, but at this point with no kittens, no obvious distress from her, and no nesting behavior, I'm starting to lean towards her not being pregnant. I kind of hope she is, though, potentially having to treat her, my cats, and the other semi-feral she hangs out with for parasites is not something I want to do.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope the appointment goes well. :crossfingers: Will be waiting for an update. :hearthrob:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What happened? Did you get her to the vet?

Treating for parasites is accomplished with oral medications. It’s not a big deal.

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I was wrong about the parasites! She was pregnant, but lost the kittens at some point and they're still inside her, along with a lot of fluid buildup. They're not sure why it happened, maybe the stress of being a feral kitty in a very hot climate. She's having surgery right now to remove all that and to get spayed. They said it's a risky surgery even if I had been able to get her in earlier, but hopefully everything will go well and I'll pick her up tonight. I have a friend who can take her for a few nights.

Also catching her was an ADVENTURE oh my gosh, I thought I could just pick her up and get her in the carrier but I swear she knew and wouldn't even go on my patio. I didn't even get near her until almost 5am. After that she broke out of the cardboard carrier I tried by tearing through the side within 40 minutes, but luckily I managed to get her in an extra hard carrier I have laying around, and got her to the vet in that. She was also surprisingly sweet at the vet, purred the whole time, let the techs hold her for cuddles, never hissed or growled once!

Anyway. Unfortunately, we also found out that she's almost definitely FIV positive, which complicates things because it would be irresponsible to release her. I obviously can't keep her, but I'm not having luck with the shelters here, which are either full or don't take FIV cats at all. Worst case I can drop her off at the animal control here, but they're pretty high kill and I really, really don't want to do that to her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, please do not take her to animal control.

Hopefully she comes through surgery just fine, and has a good recuperation with you.

You did the right thing getting her to the vet. I had a feeling that something was not right. She will feel so much better with all of that out of her insides.

Did the vet perform an FIV test?

Cats can live long lives with FIV, and can live with non-FIV cats who are vaccinated.

Take things one day at a time for now!

Let us know how she is tonight! Ask for 3 days of pain meds for her too.

jennaniccole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It has been a DAY! I have her home in a borrowed crate on top of my washer/dryer right now. It's quite small, but I have someone coming to pick her up late tonight to watch her while she recovers. Then, it sounds like a small shelter in the city where my friend lives that focuses on FIV cats can take her, so that's amazing!!

Her surgery went well, they removed three pounds (!!) of fetus/fluids from her, poor thing, and gave her intense antibiotics and pain meds. I'm sure she'll start feeling better soon, if she isn't already. She is not enjoying wearing the cone, or having to get a little paper towel bath after she peed on herself in the carrier on the way home, but otherwise she seems to be doing well.

The vet did the SNAP test, yes. I figured I might as well, just in case so we'd know if the other strays around here are/were at risk.

20180614_203927.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so glad she survived that surgery. Poor girl carrying all that around inside of her. :(

She's lucky she befriended such a caring and kind human. You saved her life! :petcat:

Also glad you've found somewhere that will probably take her. She sounds like a lovely cat, and she deserves a good life in safe place. :hearthrob: