how to store kibble / dry food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Am I right in assuming his food is staying fresh if he's still eating it? it wouldn't make him sick I would hope. It doesn't smell bad to me but it doesn't smell good either
That's my problem...my girl is extremely picky for a picky cat. After two weeks of an open bag she doesn't like it as much. She won't even eat fresh kibble that has sat out for three hours.

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does it smell the same as when you bought it?
I think so but I'll have to keep keep better track of that. Usually one huge bag last him a few months which I know is way past what is recommended. My attic stays very cold in the winter time tho so I keep it there. During the summer it probably spoils faster. What I keep in the can might last a month

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, pre covid I can understand that. Post covid...I like a spare. Can't always get my girl's food.
Yes exactly..I understand. That's why we started freezing too. I think how much you freeze and the size bags you freeze in, will depend on the size bags you buy and how much she can eat in a month. Better to over freeze than under freeze I think, because it defrosts quickly.

Just ensure they are freeze bags! You can wash the inside and reused them if you air dry them veru well in-between.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes exactly..I understand. That's why we started freezing too. I think how much you freeze and the size bags you freeze in, will depend on the size bags you buy and how much she can eat in a month. Better to over freeze than under freeze I think, because it defrosts quickly.

Just ensure they are freeze bags! You can wash the inside and reused them if you air dry them veru well in-between.
Her food is rx so we don't have much choice. 6lbs is the smallest and that's about 7 weeks. Next bag I'll try freezing in ten day allotments.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's nuts. I've done some "experiments" and she's really THAT picky. She can't see me add food to her bowl b/c I do it on the counter where I have my scale (everything is weighed and written down). I've tried "faking" it and she'll just turn her nose up. However if I just drop 3-4 kibbles, just enough for her to smell, that can trigger her to eat. Obviously doing a reset as we call it - pitch the old, replace it to the gram with new - she would eat.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's nuts. I've done some "experiments" and she's really THAT picky. She can't see me add food to her bowl b/c I do it on the counter where I have my scale (everything is weighed and written down). I've tried "faking" it and she'll just turn her nose up. However if I just drop 3-4 kibbles, just enough for her to smell, that can trigger her to eat. Obviously doing a reset as we call it - pitch the old, replace it to the gram with new - she would eat.
Blimey, that makes Daisy’s occasional pernicketiness fade to nothing!

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blimey, that makes Daisy’s occasional pernicketiness fade to nothing!
Yeah...I've come to the conclusion that the level of pickiness I am dealing with is WAY above the normal amount. Extremely picky, only eats small amounts (0.2 oz by weight would be a good feeding) and generally doesn't eat that much (2.2oz by weight a day)

I've literally spent thousands of dollars on tests to find a medical reason for her pickiness with eating and we can't find anything. The more I think about it the more I think it's just her being extremely picky because this behavior isn't really new. The only thing that is new is with her brother passed (a year ago) there's no longer food competition so she can be even "slower"...

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah...I've come to the conclusion that the level of pickiness I am dealing with is WAY above the normal amount. Extremely picky, only eats small amounts (0.2 oz by weight would be a good feeding) and generally doesn't eat that much (2.2oz by weight a day)

I've literally spent thousands of dollars on tests to find a medical reason for her pickiness with eating and we can't find anything. The more I think about it the more I think it's just her being extremely picky because this behavior isn't really new. The only thing that is new is with her brother passed (a year ago) there's no longer food competition so she can be even "slower"...
I’m so sorry, this must be so stressful.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Cats' olfactory sense is 14 times that of humans. So even though it may not smell offensive to us, it may to them. And their sense of smell is very different from ours. We may find the scent of oranges, lemons, limes and grapefruits pleasing. They HATE them. Big cats will eat prey that is several days old if they need to. That wouldn't suit most humans.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry, this must be so stressful.
Yeah. It really is. I've had her for ten years and she has gotten unmanageable the last two. I'm hoping we can crack the code because the alternatives aren't great. Basically just drop scoop in am and pm and if she starves herself so be it. If she doesn't figure it out then find a news home for her. She's well past my capacity for care.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. It really is. I've had her for ten years and she has gotten unmanageable the last two. I'm hoping we can crack the code because the alternatives aren't great. Basically just drop scoop in am and pm and if she starves herself so be it. If she doesn't figure it out then find a news home for her. She's well past my capacity for care.
Cats bond deeply to those they love. I pray you will not do that.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats bond deeply to those they love. I pray you will not do that.
I pray I won't have to rehome her as well. I forgot to mention she's also got a bad case of "affection eating" and combined with her grazing habits she requires ~15 feedings a day with my presence. I can't leave the house for long and even working from home I have to break ~4 times in my work day to feed her. Like I said she is unmanageable :( If I wasn't so bonded to her I would have gotten rid of her a year ago.

This is no life. I'm optimistic that knowing she really only wants fresh food I can figure out a food storage system that will allow me to give her food she will eat without fuss. From there, we can hopefully work on the number of feedings, and from there getting her to eat without me as much.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pray I won't have to rehome her as well. I forgot to mention she's also got a bad case of "affection eating" and combined with her grazing habits she requires ~15 feedings a day with my presence. I can't leave the house for long and even working from home I have to break ~4 times in my work day to feed her. Like I said she is unmanageable :( If I wasn't so bonded to her I would have gotten rid of her a year ago.

This is no life. I'm optimistic that knowing she really only wants fresh food I can figure out a food storage system that will allow me to give her food she will eat without fuss. From there, we can hopefully work on the number of feedings, and from there getting her to eat without me as much.
Have you looked at any cat behaviorists/experts videos on YouTube, read any of their books, or even thought about a consult? Jackson Galaxy "The Cat Daddy" is excellent; so is Pam Johnson-Bennett.
Personally, I wouldn't mind breaking 4 times a day to feed a cat. I probably do with Elvis many days. I love him so much and look forward to spending time with him -- it's my favorite time in any day. I would never rehome a cat, period, end of story. But that's just me. When I commit to someone I love, that's it.
REALLY hoping all will be well!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can figure out a food storage system that will allow me to give her food she will eat without fuss
I've been thinking about your question and, not that you're unaware of this but since the amounts she eats are on the smaller side, and oxygen is the "enemy" of kibble, I think you'd want quart size freezer bags, and smaller quantities of food stored inside.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about your question and, not that you're unaware of this but since the amounts she eats are on the smaller side, and oxygen is the "enemy" of kibble, I think you'd want quart size freezer bags, and smaller quantities of food stored inside.
I had similar thoughts. Break the manufacturer bag up into maybe pound sizes and freeze them that way.

louisstools

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at any cat behaviorists/experts videos on YouTube, read any of their books, or even thought about a consult? Jackson Galaxy "The Cat Daddy" is excellent; so is Pam Johnson-Bennett.
Personally, I wouldn't mind breaking 4 times a day to feed a cat. I probably do with Elvis many days. I love him so much and look forward to spending time with him -- it's my favorite time in any day. I would never rehome a cat, period, end of story. But that's just me. When I commit to someone I love, that's it.
REALLY hoping all will be well!
I have not looked into these experts. I have reached out to Pam and hopefully she can help me. Jackson was simply too costly though the package he offers is pretty robust. I wouldn't necessarily mind feeding my girl 4 times a day but our current deal of 15 trips, each trip taking 10 minutes or more, is far from sustainable. Ideally we can get this down to 10 minutes of feeding time a day total.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not looked into these experts. I have reached out to Pam and hopefully she can help me. Jackson was simply too costly though the package he offers is pretty robust. I wouldn't necessarily mind feeding my girl 4 times a day but our current deal of 15 trips, each trip taking 10 minutes or more, is far from sustainable. Ideally we can get this down to 10 minutes of feeding time a day total.
Hoping Pam will respond. Both of these experts are wonderful.