How to Store Fresh Eggs

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I know about eggs:

Keep in mind that by the time you purchase an egg in the store, it is already about 3 weeks old. You can always test your eggs for freshness by putting them in cold water.

If the egg stays horizontal at the bottom - it is fresh.

If the egg is at an angle on the bottom - it is still fresh and good to eat, but probably about a week old.

If the egg stands on its pointed end at the bottom  - it is still safe to eat - maybe 3 to 5 weeks old - but best used for baking and making hard-cooked eggs. Save the fresher eggs for scrambling etc. When baking with eggs, it's best to allow them to warm to room temperature for about 30 minutes. Especially if you are using the whites to make a meringue. They will beat better. When hard boiling, I always take them directly from the fridge and right into already boiling water. Then I turn the burner off and just let the eggs sit in the water for 10-15 minutes to get a 'perfect' smooth egg that peels easily.

If the egg floats - it's stale and best discarded.

To make sure the egg is not spoiled, break it into a clean bowl and check to make sure it doesn't have a bad odor or appearance. When in doubt - throw it out!

Red or brown spots in a raw egg are 'meat' or 'blood' spots and are perfectly normal and edible. They are NOT the result of a fertilized egg but, most likely a ruptured vessel in the reproductive tract during the egg formation. They might show up as a 'black spot' after the egg is boiled. 

The reason why an egg floats is because as it decomposes, water vapor and gases are released through the porous shell. This is what causes the yolk and whites to shrink which in turn makes the air cell larger. Some ambient air enters the shell as the water vapor and decomposition gasses leave, but overall the mass of the egg is reduced. More mass is going out of the shell than coming in through the shell. More mass leaving = less weight = more floating!

Hence, an egg that stands on end, but still remains at the bottom of the bowl is best for peeling of hard-boiled eggs. The air pocket allows for the membrane to become loose from the shell and, therefore, it 'slips' off the egg easier. When I buy eggs for Easter, I always buy them a few weeks before and mark the carton with the date of purchase so I know they are reserved for Easter/hard boiling. 

You can determine a raw egg from a hard boiled egg by spinning it on the counter top. A hard boiled egg will spin easily because it is a solid mass. A raw egg will 'wobble' because the inner contents are slopping around inside the shell. 

Living in a semi-rural area, I buy my eggs from local farmers. I know the chickens are free-range and haven't been contaminated with antibiotics and such. I store my eggs in the refrigerator simply because they last longer and it is more convenient - not to mention safe! LOL  With two cats in the house, they would surely find eggs to be wonderful toys! NOT!

Farm fresh eggs have a deeper orange color because of the chickens diet. We always gave our chickens 'free range' in the pasture, but they also got chicken pellets, cracked corn, crushed oyster shell, and some grit to aid in digestion and egg production. There is NO nutritional or qualitative difference between brown, tan, white, green or blue eggs. The color is based on the breed and genetics of the chicken.

As far as washing eggs - I will scrape any 'residue' off with my fingernail or a dry brush (I always rinse the brush afterward in a mild bleach solution and/or zap it in a cup of water in the microwave for a few minutes to sanitize it), then I will wipe the egg with a slightly damp paper towel to remove any loose scrapings or residual dust. Right before cracking the egg, I will run it under warm water to assure there is no residual chicken poop that might get into the food. Washing eggs disintegrate the natural protective coating on an egg allowing quicker absorption of the fluids in side and also allowing bacteria to penetrate the shell easier.

Hint for dying Easter eggs: You can always go the traditional way if you will be displaying shelled eggs for decoration, but if you are making deviled eggs, peel the egg and THEN dye them! The solidified egg white takes the dye colors very well. Then you fill them with your favorite yolk mixture and you have a beautifully colored platter of deviled eggs for the table!

I've kept fresh eggs for up to 2 months or longer with no problems.

When I was in grade school (back in the 60's!) I had a science teacher that said chicken eggs are always oval. I told him that MY chickens laid square eggs! He laughed and said that was impossible! I told him I would prove it and he told me he would give $100 dollars if I brought a square egg to school!
Early the next morning, I went to the barn and waited for one of the hens to deliver an egg. As soon as it slipped out, I grabbed the egg and placed it in a small jewelry boc and put the lid on it. After about 10 minutes, the shell had hardened and the egg was... Voila! Square! LOL 

I took the egg to school and I wish I had a picture of my teachers face! He also gave me the $100 the next day! THEN I explained the process of the 'square' egg. 

Eggs don't come out of a chicken with a hard shell. OUCH! The shell is actually a soft, rubbery membrane that hardens when exposed to air.

There you have it, from a Farmer's Daughter. This is based on my personal experience and knowledge.