How to stop toddler screeching at the cats?

okuda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasn't really sure where to put this as the behaviour is mostly from my toddler, but the reaction of the cat encourages her!

I have a 23 month old toddler and 2, 4 year old cats. Recently my toddler has discovered that wonderful world of her voice and is in the screeching phase. Screeching cause she's happy, Screeching cause Blues Clues came on, Screeching cause she pooped .. everything! The ped assures me that its just a thing all toddlers go through when they are experimenting with their voices. It's been 3 looooooong weeks so far.

My problem comes with Winston and Murphy. Murphy is her BFF, she dresses him, feeds him with her baby bottles, decorates him with stickers, be as loud as she wants and he could care less.

Winston however stays a healthy 4 foot distance away from her at all times. She's never hurt him, I guess he's just not a kid cat. Well now every time she sees him she screeches. She's not doing it to be mean, I think its just excitement more than anything else because he came down stairs, of course Winston just evaporates in to thin air. I feel bad for him (she does it to Murphy too, but he could care less) I also think his reaction to it makes her do it more as she finds it funny.

I'm not sure what to do, I've tried scolding her, time out, ignoring it. How do you reason with a 23 month old that the cat don't like it and it's not a funny game? I know it won't last long, but when it's numerous times a day it just seems like this phase is going to last for ever!

Please help me get some harmony in the house lol.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if they make baby muzzles.

No clue, been through it and never heard of a technique that worked.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no experience with this, and hopefully some moms will chime in here. But it seems to me that the only thing you can do is wait it out - and it seems Winston's figured that out. It's not pleasant for anyone right now!

If I think of the situation as if your daughter was a cat
(something I have more experience with LOL), I'd say don't reward her for her screeching by reacting any differently to it than if she were communicating in a normal level of decibels, and reward her with heaps of praise whenever she uses her voice but isn't screeching.

Hope this passes quickly!

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my kids were little they went through this phase as well-although my daughter did it all the time and louder then my sons.

I would tell her, "let's use our inside voices" and start to whisper to her in a low voice. When she would imitate me, I'd tell her-"Very good inside voice!". I acted like it was a special game. My husband would come home, and I'd be all proud, "Look, Rebecca knows her INSIDE voice!" and my husband would make a huge fuss about what a big girl, and oh how wonderful.

The screech ran up my spine-it was make it stop or I'll tear my hair out and climb a wall. I don't blame your cat for being afraid. I was afraid!!

Good luck-I hope it helps!!

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I wonder if they make baby muzzles.

No clue, been through it and never heard of a technique that worked.
Muzzles and Leashes. I'm telling you, if they worked (and were legal) we could make a fortune!!

There is duct tape though....