How to stop meaw at 5 am?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I found this article about vasectomy:

http://www.nocastration.org/
​Just to touch on this one, now that I am at a real computer and can look at it better. This is a very slanted and biased site that seems to twist the facts.

They make a claim that Sweden says it is illegal to castrate a dog, I could find no reference to that anywhere else I looked. Granted I did find that only about 10% of dogs (no mention of cats) are spayed or neutered in Sweden but they have a different culture and view pet ownership differently. There is less of a problem with people relinquishing pets for behavior problems, less stray pets walking around, people take more responsibility for their animals in general, it is an entire cultural and mental shift from America in terms of pets. I may not have found it but what I did find didn't point to illegal just less supported.

The site makes a claim that the American Veterinary officially stated that "mandatory spay/neuter is bad" which may be true but I am guessing entirely out of context because their site has an entire page devoted to spaying and neutering to reduce over population. https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/spay-neuter.aspx . If I had to go out on a limb and guess that comment would be in direct response to mandatory spay/neuter of a specific breed or requirements in some areas that all adopted pets must be spayed/neutered prior to adoption. So either as a statement that it is wrong to spay/neuter a specific breed just for being that breed or that requiring it prior to adoption means that sick/young animals who aren't healthy enough for surgery may not be adoptable kind of statement.

The site says that neutering does not reduce the risk of prostate cancer as people claim..... Neutering reduces the risk of testicular cancer which is not prostate cancer. In fact, the most common type of prostate cancer in dogs is adenocarcinoma, which predominates in intact males or dogs that were recently neutered.​ Which means the most common form of prostate cancer is found in dogs who AREN'T neutered or were recently neutered (which indicates that if they were neutered earlier they may have been at a lower risk). Although prostate cancer is not influenced by testosterone, that any studies have found, so neutering doesn't help either in any recognizable way. There was a study in 2007 that linked prostate cancer to neutering in dogs, but it was one study and there is not actual evidence to back it up beyond that one study. It could be coincidental or it could be a cause. Since we still can't say 100% what triggers prostate cancer it really is hard to say which way it goes since neutered males are more likely to get prostate cancer but unneutered males are more likely to get the most common type.... which is the right view? Hard to say and I doubt any of us here have the medical knowledge to really decide that and all the research is dog related and the more veterinary science advances the more apparent it is becoming that cats and dogs are different. Neutering does reduce testicular cancer though because they are gone.

They do vasectomy's on zoo animals because they can reverse it if needed and still collect sperm if needed. Simple, driven by possible future need not medical benefits. Add on it keeps the animal closer to their natural unaltered behaviors and since most zoo double as animal research locations it is in the best interest of research to not alter behavior any.

Some studies have tied early neutering to bone cancer (again in dogs) so they recommend waiting until 1 year old. Neutering alters the hormones which affects bone growth. I will give them that but cats who are neutered early tend to grow taller and longer than cats who aren't neutered early. I could see that increasing risk of bone cancer if nutrition is off and they aren't getting enough calcium to increase bone density while growing. There is also more bone which would kinda imply more area for cancer to possibly develop in.  Again though the study was on dogs not cats. Cats are smaller than dogs and the larger the dog breed the more risk of bone cancer which would tie size into risk. All that could also lead to the conclusion that it is the final size of the animal that affects bone cancer risk and since early neutering allows the animal to get slightly larger that is why there is slightly more risk of bone cancer. But the studies say to wait until one year, not to never do it. After the animal is a year old neutering has no effect on bone cancer risk.

Anytime you find a site like that with bold easy to read WARNINGS for this or anything else you really need to do research into each of those points. It is way too easy to twist and leave information off that changes the conclusion.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

​Just to touch on this one, now that I am at a real computer and can look at it better. This is a very slanted and biased site that seems to twist the facts.

They make a claim that Sweden says it is illegal to castrate a dog, I could find no reference to that anywhere else I looked. Granted I did find that only about 10% of dogs (no mention of cats) are spayed or neutered in Sweden but they have a different culture and view pet ownership differently. There is less of a problem with people relinquishing pets for behavior problems, less stray pets walking around, people take more responsibility for their animals in general, it is an entire cultural and mental shift from America in terms of pets. I may not have found it but what I did find didn't point to illegal just less supported.

The site makes a claim that the American Veterinary officially stated that "mandatory spay/neuter is bad" which may be true but I am guessing entirely out of context because their site has an entire page devoted to spaying and neutering to reduce over population. https://www.avma.org/public/PetCare/Pages/spay-neuter.aspx . If I had to go out on a limb and guess that comment would be in direct response to mandatory spay/neuter of a specific breed or requirements in some areas that all adopted pets must be spayed/neutered prior to adoption. So either as a statement that it is wrong to spay/neuter a specific breed just for being that breed or that requiring it prior to adoption means that sick/young animals who aren't healthy enough for surgery may not be adoptable kind of statement.

The site says that neutering does not reduce the risk of prostate cancer as people claim..... Neutering reduces the risk of testicular cancer which is not prostate cancer. In fact, the most common type of prostate cancer in dogs is adenocarcinoma, which predominates in intact males or dogs that were recently neutered.​ Which means the most common form of prostate cancer is found in dogs who AREN'T neutered or were recently neutered (which indicates that if they were neutered earlier they may have been at a lower risk). Although prostate cancer is not influenced by testosterone, that any studies have found, so neutering doesn't help either in any recognizable way. There was a study in 2007 that linked prostate cancer to neutering in dogs, but it was one study and there is not actual evidence to back it up beyond that one study. It could be coincidental or it could be a cause. Since we still can't say 100% what triggers prostate cancer it really is hard to say which way it goes since neutered males are more likely to get prostate cancer but unneutered males are more likely to get the most common type.... which is the right view? Hard to say and I doubt any of us here have the medical knowledge to really decide that and all the research is dog related and the more veterinary science advances the more apparent it is becoming that cats and dogs are different. Neutering does reduce testicular cancer though because they are gone.

They castrate zoo animals because they can reverse it if needed and still collect sperm if needed. Simple, driven by possible future need not medical benefits. Add on it keeps the animal closer to their natural unaltered behaviors and since most zoo double as animal research locations it is in the best interest of research to not alter behavior any.

Some studies have tied early neutering to bone cancer (again in dogs) so they recommend waiting until 1 year old. Neutering alters the hormones which affects bone growth. I will give them that but cats who are neutered early tend to grow taller and longer than cats who aren't neutered early. I could see that increasing risk of bone cancer if nutrition is off and they aren't getting enough calcium to increase bone density while growing. There is also more bone which would kinda imply more area for cancer to possibly develop in.  Again though the study was on dogs not cats. Cats are smaller than dogs and the larger the dog breed the more risk of bone cancer which would tie size into risk. All that could also lead to the conclusion that it is the final size of the animal that affects bone cancer risk and since early neutering allows the animal to get slightly larger that is why there is slightly more risk of bone cancer. But the studies say to wait until one year, not to never do it. After the animal is a year old neutering has no effect on bone cancer risk.

Anytime you find a site like that with bold easy to read WARNINGS for this or anything else you really need to do research into each of those points. It is way too easy to twist and leave information off that changes the conclusion.
This is great information, except I don't think you mean to say that they castrate zoo animals.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So we call getting our male cats fixed, mine have all had vasectomies then, why do we call it neutering?
Just saying, they commonly do vasectomies and don't remove the testicles as some people believe.
I think you're mistaken. You said the "pouch" shrinks after the procedure. That will only happen after removal of the testicles. If only a vasectomy is done, the testes remain intact and the cat's pouch does not shrink.

Male cats with testicles -- who have a vasectomy and are not neutered will behave like they never had an operation.

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who gets castrated, no one.

If you think neutering is bad, why?

Actually, they messed up the vasectomy, no testicle removal on the persain
I think you're mistaken. You said the "pouch" shrinks after the procedure. That will only happen after removal of the testicles. If only a vasectomy is done, the testes remain intact and the cat's pouch does not shrink.

Male cats with testicles -- who have a vasectomy and are not neutered will behave like they never had an operation.
Foxden, you are mistaken. A surgeon shaves the testicles, makes one incision, ties off and cuts the spermatic cord and blood vessels 

and the surgeon repeats the procedure on the other side.

I knew I was correct! Google "Cat Health, What Does a Cat's Neuter Entail". It also includes a spay procedure.

Because the sperm isn't present the pouch shrinks.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who gets castrated, no one.
If you think neutering is bad, why?
Actually, they messed up the vasectomy, no testicle removal on the persain
Foxden, you are mistaken. A surgeon shaves the testicles, makes one incision, ties off and cuts the spermatic cord and blood vessels 
and the surgeon repeats the procedure on the other side.
I knew I was correct! Google "Cat Health, What Does a Cat's Neuter Entail". It also includes a spay procedure.
Because the sperm isn't present the pouch shrinks.
You are using a lot of confusing language here. A vasectomy does not include removal of the testicles. If they did a procedure where your Persian was made infertile, but left the testicles, that is a vasectomy. You describe a vasectomy above.

A neuter is castration of the males while a spay is the sterilization of females.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread has got very off-topic. However, to clarify the last few threads, the vast majority of male cats who are 'fixed' are castrated, that is, the testicles are removed, a quick and easy procedure. In the google search quoted, I think there is an editing mistake, and the fact that the testicles are lifted out after the cords are cut was left out. In a number of other sites on male neutering, the procedure described is classic castration or removal of the testes. Vasectomy is an expensive option, used occasionally by breeders.

For example:
https://www.thespruce.com/neutering-castration-in-dogs-3384230

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... But he got the habit to have a walk over my head at midnight and at 5 a.m - when he also meows.

I want this furry warrior to meow from 7 a.m. as much as he likes- all day long if he likes to, I do not care. And I want him to avoid walking on my head at 5 a.m. - ...

Any considerations, suggestions - warmly welcomed!
Not sure if he'll ever meow at 7 a.m. as he is getting a lot of practice meowing at 5 a.m. ... cats love daily habits!

What you could do (besides also trying neutering, as suggested) --

When he walks on your head at midnight, put him out of the bedroom and close the door. At least then, he won't walk on your head at 5 a.m.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not sure if he'll ever meow at 7 a.m. as he is getting a lot of practice meowing at 5 a.m. ... cats love daily habits!

What you could do (besides also trying neutering, as suggested) --

When he walks on your head at midnight, put him out of the bedroom and close the door. At least then, he won't walk on your head at 5 a.m.
The other principle to modify cat behavior is to completely ignore the undesirable behavior. Good luck with that.....

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other principle to modify cat behavior is to completely ignore the undesirable behavior. Good luck with that.....
Yeah - that works particularly poorly with Snowshoes.

"I..."

*Crash*

"...am..."

*Crash ! Bang !*

"...ignoring..."

*Scratch, scratch, scratch... Bang ! *Crash*

"...you."

*Crash ! Bang ! Scamper, scamper, scamper*

*Crasssssh*

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Again, we call a neuter a neuter and not a castration. Even cat people.

And it isn't really off topic, the topic is that someone wanted to know the difference

that's all.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that there is is some evidence that spaying and neutering dogs may reduce their lifespans, but that the evidence is that it makes cats (especially females) live longer.  Additionally, there are pretty serious behavioral issues associated with unfixed cats(especially males), so while there is a growing movement to find alternatives to spaying and neutering for dogs, there really is no similar movement for cats.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, we call a neuter a neuter and not a castration. Even cat people.
And it isn't really off topic, the topic is that someone wanted to know the difference
that's all.
The term neuter actually is unisex (it actualy refers to desexing) castration or orchiectomy is the scientific term for removal of one or both testicles but outside of medical records and biology neuter is used to refer to a orchiectomy

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is weird, my 6 year old Oriental mix who is very sensitive will walk around at around 3 am
and cry as if she is ailing. I happened to wake up and can hear her, sometimes playing with a 
jingle ball.So I got up to go get her and she doesn't want me to comfort her.
I also noticed my boy(neutered) doing the same exact thing, just meowing away and I don't have any idea
why, any comments?
Probably because cats are nocturnal. Some cats sleep through the night; other cats exhibit atavistic tendencies & run around in the night.

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I like the word you used, atavistic. Maybe she wants to hunt and all she can find is a jingle ball!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I like the word you used, atavistic. Maybe she wants to hunt and all she can find is a jingle ball!
That's right. Buy her some stuffed toy mice. They like something that can easily fit in their mouth & can be transported around the house.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right. Buy her some stuffed toy mice. They like something that can easily fit in their mouth & can be transported around the house.
Unless they're like my Kabby. His favorite toys are those stuffing free plush dog toys he has a fox that is half as long as he is.