How to stop meaw at 5 am?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All my boys have been neutered. It makes them less anxious to wander and more content with boundaries. Your boy is still young and you won't see the full affect of Tom behavior until he is around 2 years old. As for wild, my neutered males still chase lizards and bettles, they still demand attention, they are the same as any other male cat except for the maddening drive to escape and mate given by their hormones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard of variants and alternatives to full testicle removal, but I  have never had the chance to discuss with someone who made it. 

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A neuter is simply a tie off internally, it is not complicated but it may become complicated when he pees 

on things and climbing on your head, don't expect his behavior to change, it will become more evident

that he is uncomfortable with raging hormones.

And defending yourself is so confusing to him, he doesn't understand that at all.

Sorry to be frank, but his purrsonality is that he may be ansty and not calm.

I did have a persian boy that was like a marshmellow and he probably wouldn't have been affected

by a neuter anyway.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When wake up by something on my head I may defend myself and push the cat to hard or throw the cat away.

And your joke is actually a good suggestion - to feed him later.
Oh I see, as you awaken unaware the kitty is there. Thanks for explaining that.   I have one kitty who likes to walk on my hair to let me know it's time for food.  Of course it's on mornings that I don't work so it's later than normal.  So I actually have the same problem as you.  I've noticed that if I give them a little snack before bedtime like around 11pm, that takes care of the problem and they can go a little bit longer without food on my day off.  I don't give grain treats either, that stimulates their appetites.  I give an extra can of their food and sometimes a little snack of boiled chicken or tuna with EZ complete in it.  Meat fills them up and keeps them full longer. 

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A neuter is simply a tie off internally, it is not complicated but it may become complicated when he pees 
on things and climbing on your head, don't expect his behavior to change, it will become more evident
that he is uncomfortable with raging hormones.
And defending yourself is so confusing to him, he doesn't understand that at all.
Sorry to be frank, but his purrsonality is that he may be ansty and not calm.
I did have a persian boy that was like a marshmellow and he probably wouldn't have been affected
by a neuter anyway.
This is incorrect. A neuter is removing the testicles. Tying off the tubes is a vasectomy.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So. when talking about "neutering" we actually discuss about various procedures?!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Oh I see, as you awaken unaware the kitty is there. Thanks for explaining that.   I have one kitty who likes to walk on my hair to let me know it's time for food.  Of course it's on mornings that I don't work so it's later than normal.  So I actually have the same problem as you.  I've noticed that if I give them a little snack before bedtime like around 11pm, that takes care of the problem and they can go a little bit longer without food on my day off.  I don't give grain treats either, that stimulates their appetites.  I give an extra can of their food and sometimes a little snack of boiled chicken or tuna with EZ complete in it.  Meat fills them up and keeps them full longer. 
Thanks for the tip! I shall give it a try.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am very confuse about neutering, in this very moment. I found no study, but surveys only, that link testicles presence to actual behavior. Perhaps there are ones and I just haven't be inspired in my search.

And no clear medical advantage. Supposing castration is so good for health, why not making it on ourselves after 40 ?!

I am not speaking against neutering, I just want to have a clear picture (including all surgical alternatives or variants), for strictly indoor cats. For other cases, necessity of neutering (simple testicles removal)  is beyond discussion,

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a clear medicial advantage, it reduces the chance of testicular cancer drastically. Humans would never to it to themselves because of the psycological link to precieved "manhood" and fertility. Shoot, most men who do a vesectomy have some hesitation because of fear of losing masculinity. Ask any guy if losing their "manhood" is worth reducing their chance of cancer. Women cut off breasts when there is cancer or even genetic indicators of cancer developing and it doesn't make them any less of women (granted some get implants or reconstruction for appreance). But I would bet at least 75% of men would stubbornly refuse the suggestion unless it was their only option. Since we don't ask cats first they don't object.

Since you are convinced that there is no way he would ever get out (never move or have the unexpected happen or him be really determined some day which he could hurt himself trying to get out to point out) there isn't the benefit of reduced fighting wih males and less injury as a result. The other benefit in your situation is the behavioral tendencies driven by horomones produced in reproductive organs. Neutering reduces horomones that drive behaviors like yowling for mates, spraying to mark territoy, desire to roam (which an inability to can lead to frustration, anger, lashing out, anxiety, and escape attempts), attacking other cats in the home (if you ever get another male cat in his lifetime or even female. He will live for possibly 20 years can you say you won't date or marry someone with a cat for example).

As someone else noted, neutering after the potential negative behaviors start may not change them. They will already be established and developed at that point. Which is why it may not stop the the yowling but may decrease it some.

Yes, there are proven benefits in studies (by the way a survey is a recognized part of most studies so they do count but that is a technicality and less applicable to this type of study). Examples:

https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/131101a.aspx

http://cfa.org/Owners/CatCare/SpayNeuter/EarlySpayNeuter.aspx

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As to alternatives you have basically two. Vasectomy, but that just makes him unable to reproduce and won't affect horomones so the negative behaviors still may develop as he matures (and if he is yowling for females at this age they will). It also doesn't reduce the chance of cancer because the testicles are still present. So only benefit of that one is sterilization (and good luck finding a vet to do it plus the high cost).

The second option is chemical castration. Since the few reports I have heard from humans who do it aren't positive and he couldn't tell you if his dosage is correct I would personally consider it a non-option. There could be unforseen side effects and the mental unbalance of screwing with horomones chemically without feedback just makes me shudder. I have read that if you go that route it is twice a year shots for life to maintain or pills. Some people report good results but it is still a newer option so feedback is harder to find. But you can ask your vet about it. Should note this one would be behavioral only and likely doesn't have the cancer reduction benefit of neutering.

I get the desire to not mess too much with nature. But especially given he will be in a confined space that it counter everything nature intended neutering is actually more humane. He won't have the hormones pushing him to mate but him being unable to find a mate. He will stay the cat you know now instead of becoming more territory and reproduction oriented.

Last edited:

lisajo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we call getting our male cats fixed, mine have all had vasectomies then, why do we call it neutering?

Just saying, they commonly do vasectomies and don't remove the testicles as some people believe.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive done some internet search and I am more and more confused: apparentely vasectomy is better

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Neutering = an animal lacking sexual organs, having them removed. To castrate or spay an animal. Commonly used as a term to indicate specifically males having sexual organs removed.

Vasectomy = medicial sterilization. It involves cutting or blocking tubes so sprem can no longer get into semen.

Castrate = removal of testicle in a male animal.

Chemical sterilization = a technique of sterilization using chemical agents.

Fixed = Slang term to refer to an animal who has had their sexual organs removed. Same as neuterting. Same as neutered make or spayed female.

Spay = general term to describe a ovirohysterrectomy (total removal of ovaries and uterus in female).

Does that help clarify terms?

Last edited:

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A vasectomy (placing a ligature on, and then cutting, the vas deferens so as to sexually sterilise the subject) is mainly of value as a form of birth control in those of us male humans who do not wish to wear condoms.   I can see no reason whatsoever to even think of performing this operation on felines.   Condoms are not usually worn by male cats....

I am a human doctor, not a vet, but I can, however, see a strong indication for performing a castration (removing the testes) on those cats who are kept as a family pet.  Intact Toms are very difficult to live with!     I speak from experience because I once bred a litter of Tonkinese kittens with a (much loved but very vocal) Siamese as the father - Never again!

With regards,
Geoffrey

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ive done some internet search and I am more and more confused: apparentely vasectomy is better
In your search what are you searching for?

Vasectomy is the standard way to prevent *human* males from being sterile. It makes it so sperm cannot reach semen so men cannot get a women pregnant but does nothing to alter horomones. It is minimally invasive for humans with the fewest side effects or possible complications. It is "better" for *humans* in the sense of least personality change with the desired medicial affect.

In *cats and dogs* castration (or what 99% of vets mean when they say neuter) is the standard way to prevent unwanted kittens and puppies. It is quicker to perform than a vasectomy, minimally invasive, and low risk. It also removes the chemicals that drive behaviors many people find undesirable (spraying, yowling, fighting, desire to roam). It is "better" for *cats and dogs* because it is so common, easily obtained, the range of behavior modifications and health benefits, and low complication risk.

I really don't know what you are researching to find vasectomy is "better" because in *cats and dogs* it only prevents unwanted litters and does nothing for behavior or overall health. I really have tried searching different terms to find what you are seeing but I can't find it.

Honestly, at this point it sounds like the internet is confusing you more than helping. Nothing we are saying on this thread seems to be helping to clairfy. I would recommend sceduling an appointment with your vet to talk face to face about options and the benefits of each. Probably show him/her this thread so they know where your confusion is.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vasectomy won't reduce the risk of testicular cancer, and while it's more common in intact male dogs than it is in male cats, why put your cat at risk?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

A vasectomy (placing a ligature on, and then cutting, the vas deferens so as to sexually sterilise the subject) is mainly of value as a form of birth control in those of us male humans who do not wish to wear condoms.   I can see no reason whatsoever to even think of performing this operation on felines.   Condoms are not usually worn by male cats....
I was curious about vasectomy on male cats and apparently it is normally done by breeders. They want an male to mate with a female in heat without resulting in a pregnancy, a teaser tom. They don't want a female to breed every heat cycle for health reasons but putting off a female too many heat cycles can result in pyometra​. Using a teaser tom will bring her out of heat quicker and lengthen the time to her next cycle without resulting in a litter. If I am understanding it right, there is no benefit for a vasectomy in a cat outside of a breeder making a teaser tom.